Sign in to follow this  
loketje

My experiences

loketje

I haven’t been active on this forum for a few years mainly due to bad experiences with buying replica watches. I would like to share my experiences for those eager to jump into the water.

My financial resources are somewhat limited (understatement of the year) so buying an expensive luxury item was a big step for me.

I tested the waters (so to speak) by buying a beginners Panerai, I can’t really recall from which trusted dealer. Not important but it was an Asian import.

It arrived not working. Since it had taken several weeks to arrive I didn’t really want to send it back.

Luckily an experienced member and watchmaker in the UK (I’m in Holland) offered to fix it for me.

I was very happy with it, bought an expensive strap for it. It lasted about 4 months, then it broke down again.

Ok, it was a cheapish watch so scraping and saving for a few months I bought an Avenger Black Steel .

I had done my reading of course so upon arrival (the bezel didn’t work) I immediately send it out to a German watchmaker (as far as I know there’s no watchmaker for reps in Holland) to have it serviced and the bezel repaired.

Cost about 600 euro’s by this time.

I eventually got my watch back, the bezel lasted a week and the watch broke down after 6 months.

I can’t afford to have it fixed again so there it is, two watches lying in a drawer uselessly and a lot of money down the drain.

This sort of cured me from purchasing rep watches.

I’m not saying my case is a typical one, I just wanted to share it.

Rassilon

That's a shame. I've never had any experience anywhere near like those. Worst I've gotten, after 15-20 reps was two finicky 7750s and a 12 o'clock marker stick that was misaligned (possibly the most irritating, non-mechanical defect imaginable).

What triggered your post after so much time had passed?

GenTLe

I have 70 reps and like 6/8 non luxury gens.

My experience is that around 10% of reps have some sort of problem. Normally small ones, but not always.

The most important thing in this game is the knowledge: choosing the right model (with the right movement) of the right factory highly increase the probability of a good outcome.

loketje

That's a shame. I've never had any experience anywhere near like those. Worst I've gotten, after 15-20 reps was two finicky 7750s and a 12 o'clock marker stick that was misaligned (possibly the most irritating, non-mechanical defect imaginable).

What triggered your post after so much time had passed?

I don't really know. Nostalgia, I guess. I had some very good times here (including winning a watch in a contest !) and I still love watches.

loketje

I have 70 reps and like 6/8 non luxury gens.

My experience is that around 10% of reps have some sort of problem. Normally small ones, but not always.

The most important thing in this game is the knowledge: choosing the right model (with the right movement) of the right factory highly increase the probability of a good outcome.

I can assure you I did extensive research on where and what to buy. Just bad luck, I guess.

GenTLe

Yes probably, also consider that in these years many things evolved in a good way (especially Asian clone movements)

megaul

I've received a bad watch from a TD once, send it back to the TD in the UK and he fixed it. Works ok now

Sad to hear you've had bad luck, especially since it's serious money you've spend. I think buying a more popular model is maybe safest, or M2M from respected members?

RUSH2112

You've been a member for 7 years. Is this a new experience or is this a story from 7 years ago?

Either way it seems you've had a lot of bad luck.

loketje

I've received a bad watch from a TD once, send it back to the TD in the UK and he fixed it. Works ok now

Sad to hear you've had bad luck, especially since it's serious money you've spend. I think buying a more popular model is maybe safest, or M2M from respected members?

I think the watches I bought were among the most popular, so I thought I would be on the safe side.

loketje

You've been a member for 7 years. Is this a new experience or is this a story from 7 years ago?

The story is from 7 years back. As I said, nostalgia lured me back and self-pity made me share my story :sad:

porschespeedster

so you're saying you're getting back in the game?

you should.

jdog

Sucks to hear that it started rough. I can say, reps have come a looooong way and the chance of them breaking down as easy is alot less. Aside from aesthetics, the movements and replacements parts for them are readily available and easy to maintain. Depending on what youre looking to get into, theres alot to choose which should last you years to come when well maintained. Good Luck!

loketje

Well, I don't know. I could never again go for the 300 plus replicas.

jdog

Because you dont think it will last and youre worried about laying out that much $? Or because of your budget? What are you looking for btw?

loketje

Are you saying that a 7750 nowadays is better than 7 years ago ?

Based on my experiences I would be very reluctant to fork out that much cash. And I couldn't. So I'm not really looking for anything.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind a nice Pam....

Left Coast Guy

I really enjoy this hobby, but if you don't have $300-400 to throw away every now and then, this isn't the hobby for you.

On the whole, with 40+ reps in my collection and another 20 bought and sold, I'd say the quality of replica watch this days is extraordinary for the price you pay.....but there will still be issues on 5-8% of reps because these are illicit goods, bought and sold from halfway across the world.

GenTLe
And this is probably like cursing in church (Dutch proverb) but I'm rather tempted by this :

http://www.sales-styles.com/watch/brg-vogue/brg-vogue-navitimer-world-a24322-46-mm-2.html

probably not a good idea.

Worst possible idea. That is a genuine watch picture, not a rep, and at that price you will get a turd...

A better choice is this one: http://www.tb-688.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_30&product_id=1131 or this one http://www.tb-688.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_29&product_id=1213

So you have an idea of their real prices.

But those, apart that they are 47mm!, are complex​ movements. If you want to stay safer get something easier, time only or time&date, or a time+day+date.

Maybe with a Miyota 9015 movement.

mysterio

Even though you had no problems spending 666$ (you may have the source of your problem there :lol: ) in total on the Breitling before? PAM replicas have gone up in quality far beyond what you probably bought. I've had over 20 PAM reps over 2-3 years and nary had a problem with any of them whilst in my possession. Your "bad luck" probably means the quality of reps then wasn't really good.

loketje
And this is probably like cursing in church (Dutch proverb) but I'm rather tempted by this :

http://www.sales-sty...22-46-mm-2.html

probably not a good idea.

Worst possible idea. That is a genuine watch picture, not a rep, and at that price you will get a turd...

A better choice is this one: http://www.tb-688.co...product_id=1131 or this one http://www.tb-688.co...product_id=1213

So you have an idea of their real prices.

But those, apart that they are 47mm!, are complex​ movements. If you want to stay safer get something easier, time only or time&date, or a time+day+date.

Maybe with a Miyota 9015 movement.

You're right, of course. The other watches are, sadly , out of my league.

GenTLe

Well, you have few other choices:

1) look through the special sales here: http://www.tb-688.co...product/special there are few bargains there, like those Panerai at 129/158$ (they are extremely good reps!), or the 42mm 242$ Noob Planet Oceans (probably the 45mm are already gone), the 229$ Pam 356 with a working unmodified 7753 chronograph inside, the 168$ big pilot... All great reps

2) look at the wholesalers. More risky (no guarantee, payment with WU only and no custom protections) but the products are exactly the same as those from the TDs, but with a big discount, like 30% less or more on some pieces (I don't think we have such dealer here now, but watchoutlet01.com is a td on RWI forum and I have used it with pleasure)

3) get them from M2M section, sometimes there are real bargains there.

RUSH2112

The story is from 7 years back. As I said, nostalgia lured me back and self-pity made me share my story :sad:

That sucks but I think it's important to highlight that so noobs don't get the expectation that this is common these days. Sounds like they've come a long way.

northantsrich

I would go on m2m and sell them and see what you can get. Some amazing reps out now

loketje

Well, you have few other choices:

1) look through the special sales here: http://www.tb-688.co...product/special there are few bargains there, like those Panerai at 129/158$ (they are extremely good reps!), or the 42mm 242$ Noob Planet Oceans (probably the 45mm are already gone), the 229$ Pam 356 with a working unmodified 7753 chronograph inside, the 168$ big pilot... All great reps

2) look at the wholesalers. More risky (no guarantee, payment with WU only and no custom protections) but the products are exactly the same as those from the TDs, but with a big discount, like 30% less or more on some pieces (I don't think we have such dealer here now, but watchoutlet01.com is a td on RWI forum and I have used it with pleasure)

3) get them from M2M section, sometimes there are real bargains there.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

loketje

I would go on m2m and sell them and see what you can get. Some amazing reps out now

I couldn't sell broken watches, could I ?