Sign in to follow this  
ShovelnTC

Lengthen Stem? (Now sorted)

ShovelnTC

Hey gents,

My beloved B&R with 9015 Myota has always had a stubborn crown in that it was always hard to get into the fully depressed/winding position.

I would often find the date to be incorrect as it had not been properly seated so was still in the date-set position.

I have now found that I can't get it into the fully depressed position at all.

My theory is that perhaps the crown has gradually been screwing tighter down the stem thread thus shortening the available stem length travel.

I removed the stem but the crown seems quite tight but I don't currently have a pin vice to be sure.

So, my thoughts are that if I get a pin vice I may be able to unwind the crown a few threads and then blue lock-tight it once it's established that I have enough additional length and can get it pushed fully in OR in order to avoid possible damage or destruction of the stem and crown, grind the outer case tube slightly so that it doesn't bottom out on the crown as soon.

So what do you guys think, is either of these feasible or should I just get another stem?

022TS2r.jpg?1

7rSuXUd.jpg?1

bfuJ7me.jpg?1

Odyseus

How about getting a stem extension??

ShovelnTC

How about getting a stem extension??

Is there such an animal or are you taking the piss? :giggle:

ShovelnTC

Oh there realy is such things!

Probably more work than a whole new stem though?

Odyseus
Oh there realy is such things!

Probably more work than a whole new stem though?

Useful to have in an emergency if you over trim a stem. Or you need a long stem

You need to know the stem diameter but it is probably easier to buy a couple of new stems..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aufzugswelle-Miyota-9015-9100-Winding-Stem-065-A05-/122503161492?hash=item1c85c1e694:g:M3QAAOSw0hlZHeon

peteins

I snapped the stem on a big pilot once, I just got a selection of stem extensions and its fine now. Quite hard to measure the thickness of your stem so I just got 3 different sizes.

I also had to cut the original slightly because it was too long . But it was an easy enough job. A lot easier than finding a new stem that was correct for the movement.

I used some locktight to mate the extension to the stem.

Good luck!

peteins

Oh and to cut the stem I used a dremel with a very fine disk on. I found using wire cutters distorted the thread so you couldn't use it.

tonyh7

Quite fiddly getting the stem length right. I've managed it a couple of times, including a keyless reset due to my carelessness. If you really value the watch, and it does look really nice, maybe send it to a watch repairer?

ShovelnTC

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah that is why I thought a slight grind down of the tube may be easier than trying to get the stem length correct, sounds drastic I suppose but just less likely to damage the stem and crown.

Oh and we don't have the luxury of having Rep friendly watchmakers here in Aus, just ask any of the Aussie guys they'll tell you, so it's up to us to make our own repairs of go through the hassle of sending overseas.

Cheers, Mark.

tonyh7

Oh and we don't have the luxury of having Rep friendly watchmakers here in Aus, just ask any of the Aussie guys they'll tell you, so it's up to us to make our own repairs of go through the hassle of sending overseas.

I didn't know that. Oh well as they say necessity is the mother of invention!

BadPickle

I thought there was a rep friendly fixer in oz?

isnt there one mentioned in a thread?

brang1

I didn't know that. Oh well as they say necessity is the mother of invention!

In Melbourne theres a place in Heathmont , "A WATCH IN TIME" place is chock full of watch repair chaps, give them a ring

brang1

A Watch In Time

Watch repair service in Heathmont, Victoria

Address: 145 Canterbury Rd, Heathmont VIC 3135

Phone: (03) 9879 6077

Nikosaldente

Hope you get it sorted out!

NCRich

Stems are cheap. Buy on ebay. I have a bunch of tap 10 extenders too. But I don't use them much anymore since I bought a bunch of stems.

I don't have a pin vise, I just hold the stem with needlenose pliers on the flat part and twist the stem off. If it seems stuck I heat it over the gas flame on my stove. High tech stuff.

Trim stem as mentioned with dremel and disk.

NCRich

Send watch to me. I will keep it safe for you. :lol:

Nikosaldente

P

Stems are cheap. Buy on ebay. I have a bunch of tap 10 extenders too. But I don't use them much anymore since I bought a bunch of stems.

I don't have a pin vise, I just hold the stem with needlenose pliers on the flat part and twist the stem off. If it seems stuck I heat it over the gas flame on my stove. High tech stuff.

Trim stem as mentioned with dremel and disk.

I have one! They're pretty cheap!

With the pliers you might bend the stem or damage it!

I have this one :

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200922728190

Cheers!

NCRich

Somehow I've managed to not damage 50 or 60 stems and crowns. I still have a bitch of a time getting the stem the right length. My least favorite part of playing with watches.

narikaa

I googled it

Seems there's loads of places willing to lengthen your stem

some say even without invasive surgery

:giggle:

brang1

I googled it

Seems there's loads of places willing to lengthen your stem

some say even without invasive surgery

:giggle:

Was only a matter of time, surprised it took this LONG, flood gates opened now

narikaa

Inbound links to AliEx vacuum pump purveyors

Viper420

If the stem is indeed to short its likely only ever so slightly so based on your description, a stem extender most likely will make it too long (have to factor in the length of the hub portion which screws on the existing stem). Buying a new stem is probably the best route to go.

However, are you absolutely sure its not a keyless issue causing the stem not to seat in place?

ShovelnTC

Thanks for the responses guys,

I was a little concerned with using any type of pliers on the stem due to fear of damaging it but I'll give it a "Gentle" try but if the crown doesn't come off easily with a bit of heat I'll get myself a pin vice.

I had heard of a few watchmakers here in Aus but can't find anyone who has actualy used any of them so buggered if I'm sending my beloved watch to some stranger who will likely fuck it up and then tell me that "Reps are low quality so when I tried to repair it it fell apart". Call me paranoid.

I don't believe it to be a key-less issue as the stem is secure in the movement but just wont push in to the winding position when fitted in the case, if it was a key-less issue I expect I could pull it right back out completely without using the release button.

I was going to try one of those vacuume extenders but I saw a pic of a guy once who had a very long but terribly bruised dick so that put me off :giggle:

NCRich

I was a little concerned with using any type of pliers on the stem due to fear of damaging it but I'll give it a "Gentle" try but if the crown doesn't come off easily with a bit of heat I'll get myself a pin vice.

I had heard of a few watchmakers here in Aus but can't find anyone who has actualy used any of them so buggered if I'm sending my beloved watch to some stranger who will likely fuck it up and then tell me that "Reps are low quality so when I tried to repair it it fell apart". Call me paranoid.

I don't believe it to be a key-less issue as the stem is secure in the movement but just wont push in to the winding position when fitted in the case, if it was a key-less issue I expect I could pull it right back out completely without using the release button.

I was going to try one of those vacuume extenders but I saw a pic of a guy once who had a very long but terribly bruised dick so that put me off :giggle:

That is a keyless issue.

ShovelnTC

That is a keyless issue.

Rich, the stem won't pull out all the way without pressing the stem release, if it was a keyless issue it would come out without pressing the release wouldn't it?