Sign in to follow this  
qwerty12345

Rationale for collecting replica watches

tomtom1988

I buy reps because I like watches, for example for a night out on the piss I will wear a rep as if I lose it or break it, it's a rep and it's neither here nor there, on the other hand I like luxury watches and do own and have owned a few gens, from now on I go by the rule of if I'm on the piss then rep, a nice dinner, wedding or event il wear my gen, best of both worlds.

I agree the reps these days are good but once you have the gen you spot little flaws ( not that anyone would notice).

My advice is stay rep apart from if you really really want a gen or have a grail, I love Cartier so I'm going to try to always keep a gen Cartier in my collection, my grail is a Daytona and would never go rep on my grail watch.

Simply put wear what you like, who cares

peteins

And I drive a 4K car, and own about 10 reps, with a gen value of around 200k...

But no one has ever noticed or cares. But I like my watches and my car. Which is why I bought them.

I could buy a couple of the reps I have as gens, but don't see the point because the reps are so good.

That's my rationale

Genius

I buy reps because I like watches, for example for a night out on the piss I will wear a rep as if I lose it or break it, it's a rep and it's neither here nor there, on the other hand I like luxury watches and do own and have owned a few gens, from now on I go by the rule of if I'm on the piss then rep, a nice dinner, wedding or event il wear my gen, best of both worlds.

Summed up my philosophy there!

Although sometimes it doesn't quite work out recently ended up getting unexpectedly drunk at a mates house and found myself armed with an axe drunkenly chopping wood (yeah I know - thick as fuck) whilst wearing my gen superocean the watch got a few more scratches in it but luckily I didn't hack any of my limbs off.

tomtom1988

Although sometimes it doesn't quite work out recently ended up getting unexpectedly drunk at a mates house and found myself armed with an axe drunkenly chopping wood (yeah I know - thick as fuck) whilst wearing my gen superocean the watch got a few more scratches in it but luckily I didn't hack any of my limbs off.

Likewise mate, last time I wore a gen on the lash it didn't come home with me, needless to say, that won't be happening again!

Kleen™

I buy reps because it is a very inexpensive way of collecting shit. And I do like collecting shit.

ShovelnTC

Rationale FFS :rolleyes:

That's where the beer is running out so the bartender will only pour one beer per customer at a time isn't it?

jamesezra

I buy reps so that I don't have to plonk thousands on a gen and worry when I wear it out (in fear of knocks, dings, etc.) Though I still pamper my reps, I guess the emotional scarring is minimised if and when anything happens.

Xpletiv

Are we done answering this stupid question?!

NCRich

You really do live life in the fast lane. :lol:

I don't think I have a friend that has an axe. Much less one that would think of chopping wood. You guys near Sherwood Forest?

GenTLe

I don't think I have a friend that has an axe. Much less one that would think of chopping wood. You guys near Sherwood Forest?

This is like mine (3kg).

I nearly killed a TAG with 7750 forgetting to take it out, al solved fixing the reversing gear :D

s-l225.jpg

But for the big bones I prefer to use this:

motosega1.jpg

And the remainings are passed in this one (mine is 6.5HP engine with 24 hammers):

big_18720091028000731.jpg

And I look at the results with this face:

psico.jpg

MarkA

Same as all the above. Number one, I'd shit myself wearing 5 grand's worth of watch on my wrist. Two: I get bored easily - even if all my watches were gen, I'd still want more, so spending all that money would be really stupid. Three: most gen watches use a stock movement with a few tweaks and are ridiculously overpriced. Four: you can try stuff out, turns out many of the watches I thought I'd like as a gen have been disappointing. Five: I like it, and I like the people involved, better than I like gen watch collectors when I've been on their forums. Six: I like tinkering, and if I cock it up and wreck the watch, it's no big deal.

There y'go...

Slink73

so at the end of a long and tiresome day, three sheets to the wind I find myself back here....

tempted as I am to swear profusely at the trolling OP what has piqued my interest is just how generous in offering an answer others are and how similar all our values can be. Whether its because someone doesn't want to smash their gen JLC with a 3kg axe, or lose their gen nautilus in the shredder, i can genuinely say by sheer fluke and wonderful engineering my TAG stopped a Stihl chainsaw removing my hand from my wrist. Surprisingly it was only a 500 quid repair to the watch which I daren't explain properly to the wife as she'd then take my chainsaw away. But a rep can carry the can and do the job without fear of ruining a good few grand of a gen.

Maybe we can convert this thread into how a gen/rep save my life and that is why I own them...

Slink73

^^ just read my pissed drivel and whilst the story is true I don't hink I managed to relate it to the thread at all well.

Off to play with the minibar and then maybe come back to hurl insults at the OP when i get bored of staring at all the reps I want...

addibegi

Would you prefer these gen or these fakes?

mamelle-d-une-jeune-vache-15845254.jpg

Beshine-femme-faux-gros-seins-2-720x511.jpg

Diver Dave

One thing I would add is that within the Rep "community" I have found more actual experts on watches (Gen and otherwise) than within the leagues of genuine watch owners. I can't say on behalf of the "average" rep wearer, he's probably not represented here. But within THIS group are a bunch of guys whose knowledge of the history and design of watches (especially vintage designs) is absolutely world class. Perhaps the "collecting gene" is expressed by these guys who have put hours and hours into reading and research, and who want some tangible token object to study to further their education, in the absence of being able to afford the genuine examples.

The guys building top-drawer vintage builds, for example, combine both a superb understanding of arcane history with the ability to build it with their own hands. This is a skilled craft and deserves admiration.

Genius

Not far actually (under 50 miles) a lot of people round here have wood burning stoves so having an axe and a load of wood to chop at is pretty common

Genius

One thing I would add is that within the Rep "community" I have found more actual experts on watches (Gen and otherwise) than within the leagues of genuine watch owners. I can't say on behalf of the "average" rep wearer, he's probably not represented here. But within THIS group are a bunch of guys whose knowledge of the history and design of watches (especially vintage designs) is absolutely world class. Perhaps the "collecting gene" is expressed by these guys who have put hours and hours into reading and research, and who want some tangible token object to study to further their education, in the absence of being able to afford the genuine examples.

The guys building top-drawer vintage builds, for example, combine both a superb understanding of arcane history with the ability to build it with their own hands. This is a skilled craft and deserves admiration.

+1 it really amazes me to see some of the builds that pop up here

narikaa

Nah

Everyone collects them for the express purpose of drawing out internet trolls

elp

Not far actually (under 50 miles) a lot of people round here have wood burning stoves so having an axe and a load of wood to chop at is pretty common

I may pop by for some for the pizza oven I'm building :)

Rokerite

I wear reps cos I like the look of the watch but couldn't bring myself to spend so much money on something merely to tell the time.Never having owned a gen, I was curious when working in the town centre next to an AD.Had a look in the window and my rep Rolex look almost exactly the same as the display models. Was wearing my painter's whites and an equally scruffy looking gentleman was stood next to me also looking at Rolexes. Turns out he had a gen submariner on his wrist which he bought 10 years ago for £2,500. It was a beautiful watch and he said he could get £5,000 for it now. That's the only difference in my humble opinion.

Foxindebox
I was at a party and met a guy who has a Rolex Submariner.

I'm not into Subs (my main interest is vintage Omega) so I assumed it was real, started talking watches with him, and he confessed that the Sub was a replica and he also had a Breitling replica.

I had a look at this forum and it seems like some of you have collections of replica watches where the total cost is on par with the price of a decent genuine watch (at least on the used market). To me this is quite surprising (with all due respect). But I'd understand if someone considering a specific model of genuine watch would buy one replica first to see if they liked the size, look, etc.

It would be interesting to hear the rationale of people here when it comes to collecting replica watches. I'm not trying to be hostile in any way, just trying to understand your rationale. Would be interesting to hear the opinions of people who think differently than me about watches. Is it a question of being "too stingy" to buy the genuine version (would rather have many replicas than one genuine)? I'm assuming that some people here are doing it for bragging purposes (making people think it's the real deal)? Moreover, some people on this forum seem disappointed when elements of a replica watch are not comparable to the original. Why wouldn't you then just buy the genuine version, which doesn't have such production "mistakes"?

Thanks.

giphy_zpsfuh0j6l1.gif

Mr Stubbs
I was at a party and met a guy who has a Rolex Submariner.

I'm not into Subs (my main interest is vintage Omega) so I assumed it was real, started talking watches with him, and he confessed that the Sub was a replica and he also had a Breitling replica.

I had a look at this forum and it seems like some of you have collections of replica watches where the total cost is on par with the price of a decent genuine watch (at least on the used market). To me this is quite surprising (with all due respect). But I'd understand if someone considering a specific model of genuine watch would buy one replica first to see if they liked the size, look, etc.

It would be interesting to hear the rationale of people here when it comes to collecting replica watches. I'm not trying to be hostile in any way, just trying to understand your rationale. Would be interesting to hear the opinions of people who think differently than me about watches. Is it a question of being "too stingy" to buy the genuine version (would rather have many replicas than one genuine)? I'm assuming that some people here are doing it for bragging purposes (making people think it's the real deal)? Moreover, some people on this forum seem disappointed when elements of a replica watch are not comparable to the original. Why wouldn't you then just buy the genuine version, which doesn't have such production "mistakes"?

Thanks.

giphy_zpsfuh0j6l1.gif

Quoting this so we can all see it twice! :lmao2:

Mr Stubbs

I buy reps because it drives pencil-dicked morons crazy asking themselves 'WHY? WHY? WHY?'

Gangrel67

Nobody has the right to question and ridicule one's hobby.

RUSH2112

The op just joined to tell us off and leave. Further comment seems pointless.