Sign in to follow this  
dilip

Am I really buying a plastic battery watch? Obviously NOT

dilip

The new Colt Skyracer 45mm just landed at my local AD and I'm thinking about picking it up just because of the price... Any thoughts?

34017865604_5674f9b8ef_k.jpgUntitled by dddilippp, on Flickr

Duzza

Still looks pricey at £1,800 to me

Genius

you can get 2nd hand auto brietlings from £1150, not sure that £1850 is a great price for that !

http://www.watchfind...=PriceLowToHigh

Exactly what I was going to say.

Mine was less than that and its made of metal and has an auto movement has much better water resistance and the design is almost identical!

DSC_0502_zps7q9qyx33.jpg

Comes down to what you want from the watch but personally I wouldn't spend that on a quartz plastic or not.

tomtom1988

It's nice in my opinion but I'd never pick something up just because of the price, unless of course it's severely under retail but £1800 is the RRP for this. I'd wait, you'll be able to get it much cheaper pre owned in a year or so's time

dilip

Great inputs, thanks :) What compels me is the warranty policy, that it's a novelty (it's been a while since I picked up a Basel release), the back-to-basics as a Breitling milestone, the fact that it's not automatic which makes it much more comfortable to use while riding my bikes without worry and general banging around. And of course that I wouldn't actually pay full retail at this particular AD. This seems to be a controversial piece which makes it even more attractive to me :)

Del

:lmao2:

Hardly an oridinary "plastic battery watch"! :lol:

It's made of a high-tech material, 3.3 times lighter than titanium and extremely scratch resistant, and has a COSC certified "superquartz" movement, which is 10 times more accurate than a regular quartz movement. And the battery lasts 8 years btw! ;)

I rather like it! :woo:

Del

Looks good in the AD's window! :D

52F847EC-DC89-418D-B0FB-876FA133223B_zpsnli8cauq.jpg

964boy

Oh! here we go again :)

Del

Oh, and about the price, it's not actually that high for a premium brand like Breitling. It's actually £400 cheaper that the steel Colt quartz model on rubber, and there's something about the uniqueness of the case and dial that draws me more to the Skyracer than a bog-standard quartz Colt.

Oh! here we go again :)

:rofl:

dilip

It's made of a high-tech material, 3.3 times lighter than titanium and extremely scratch resistant, and has a COSC certified "superquartz" movement, which is 10 times more accurate than a regular quartz movement. And the battery lasts 8 years btw! ;)

Your completely correct with those specs, but if I thought my header was more fun than getting too deep into the true details ;)

Del

Your completely correct with those specs, but if I thought my header was more fun than getting too deep into the true details ;)

Yup - you certainly hooked a few minnows....! :giggle:

dilip

I just went to look at the watch and I was surprised with one thing I didn't read up on during the Basel events. Have you ever seen such a stupid strap system on a watch? I really don't know what to make of it. New purchase is defiantly on hold until I realize how this strap system is useful for me at all, don't want to end up in my old aquatimer strap nightmare again... https://www.google.se/amp/www.ablogtowatch.com/breitling-colt-skyracer-watch-baselworld-2017/amp/

TheTinMan

But dude, it's a SUPER Quartz!

Nikosaldente

A SuperQuartz with a ruler for a strap!

BadPickle

I like it, I won't be buying one but I think it's kinda neat. Big sellers like these can easily churn out the same old stuff year after year after year after year..... so from time to time they do something a little different, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but let's face it, 99% of luxury watch wearers have no clue as to what the engine is or what the case is made of, as long as it says "(inset luxury brand name here)" on the dial then it's a winner :thumbsup:

Like I said, I like it, but I probably won't be buying one

MetalMickey

If you want a hard wearing watch made of plastic don't you just buy a G Shock?

dilip
If you want a hard wearing watch made of plastic don't you just buy a G Shock?
they are waaay to big for me

Thelittleprince

Just my advice mate. Don't buy it, especially with the gen route, don't buy something just for the price. I made that mistake many times and always had that "Meh" feeling within a week of having the watch then instantly regreting it. You can get amazing watches for that price, infact i ebay hunt all the time and depending what you are looking for i could have some recommendations and it will save you money and get you a better watch! You will lose a lot of money if you buy this from the AD.

Left Coast Guy

With the painted dial, it just looks cheap to me....

I just stopped in a Breitling boutique a month or so ago -- didn't see this model, but thought many of the models had gone in the wrong direction. Seems too much change at once, across the models...

splke

This could be repped really cheaply and looks awesome at 150 quid but fuck me to spunk over 1500 on the twat no way José

GenTLe

Uhm... No.

It gives me the same "platicky" feeling of certain Luminox like this:

617U%2BRzeJRL._UX342_.jpg

But In general I don't like "all black & white" watches.

dilip
Just my advice mate. Don't buy it, especially with the gen route, don't buy something just for the price. I made that mistake many times and always had that "Meh" feeling within a week of having the watch then instantly regreting it. You can get amazing watches for that price, infact i ebay hunt all the time and depending what you are looking for i could have some recommendations and it will save you money and get you a better watch! You will lose a lot of money if you buy this from the AD.

I'm more than open to suggestions :) I'm really surprised that this watch doesn't get that much appreciation here, seems like everywhere I read people are always talking about tool watches and instruments for work etc. I believe I was one of the first who mentioned this would be super easy to rep too, but I haven't heard of any rep in the pipeline yet?

Del

Just now I found an article explaining (to someone as stupid as myself) how the strap mechanism works. I am not impressed... http://forum.tz-uk.c...nox-Inox-Carbon

That's a great review - thanks for posting it. :thumbsup2:

At the end of the day, you need to decide for yourself if you like it enough to buy - don't be swayed by the hairy-arsed, knuckle-dragging, quartz-hating, philistines on here! :D ;)

I'd need to see how the strap attachment works in person but I honestly like the watch. Not sure if I'd buy it or would prefer a s/s version (and I've actually had my eye on a Colt for some time now) purely from the point of view that I'd get more opportunity to wear the s/s version since the Skyracer is probably not a watch I'd wear to the office with a dress shirt, which is my normal Mon-Fri situation. However, to get a fairly unique, extremely robust, COSC-certified Breitling that will never need serviced and with an 8-year battery life for that kind of money is pretty tempting tbh.

And I'd much rather have the Breitling Skyracer than the new TAG modular smart watch at £1450-£2700+ that needs charged every night! :lol: