Sign in to follow this  
pj1312

Baldrick's Watches.Sale of them.

machiavegli

Maybe we could vend them on the VIP forum, it's not meant for that but if anyone would want to support the loyalists and contributors it would be him. If they don't go we could open them up to the whole group. Crazy to think his Graham Chronofighter Mark III will be coming up, he gave me the idea of getting one and I've bought 5 Grahams since ...

-Mach

vinnychase1

Guys,I have decided to get rid of (strong words i think!!) of Baldricks watch collection after much deliberation of what to do with them.After some discussion with Greg and Narikaa (Reg), im going to donate the proceeds to Cancer research UK.Therefore i need your help in listing these watches as i dont have a clue how much they are worth,or even what types they are.If anyone would be so willing as to help me for this cause id be very grateful. I will begin posting them,but if they are overpriced,id appreciate others telling me.

As Neil was family,I hope this is the right thing to do,as I dont know how to part with them,and I have too many here now,in two watch cases,which i will also give away.

Many thanks for reading this, all help appreciated.

Many Thanks

Paul

+1

mike_morgan

Maybe we could vend them on the VIP forum, it's not meant for that but if anyone would want to support the loyalists and contributors it would be him. If they don't go we could open them up to the whole group. Crazy to think his Graham Chronofighter Mark III will be coming up, he gave me the idea of getting one and I've bought 5 Grahams since ...

-Mach

BRILLIANT! This drives members to the VIP section, plus raises cash for the charity. I wasn't here for Baldricks presence, but I can see the respect you all have for him, and this would really be a great way to honor him.

Davesjourney

VIP section - great idea

gavmeister

Paul: You could also consider an auction on each of the pieces, to optimise the value if the BlueBoys will allow it...but since it is for cancer research and not personal gain, I think they'd might let it pass...?

+1

I was thinking a temporary "Balders section" where each watch could be posted and each "bidder" commits to the price they have bid. Leave it up for a week to attract the market.

Not sure that Noobs should be too involved as there is sure to be issues with a lack of understanding that these are a fellow (well loved) members watches which would hold sentimental value. I suppose part of the potential "issues" could be alleviated by a short clip of the watch working and changing date if necessary.

Further +1 for it being in VIP.

Wriggles

Paul: You could also consider an auction on each of the pieces, to optimise the value if the BlueBoys will allow it...but since it is for cancer research and not personal gain, I think they'd might let it pass...?

+1

I was thinking a temporary "Balders section" where each watch could be posted and each "bidder" commits to the price they have bid. Leave it up for a week to attract the market.

Not sure that Noobs should be too involved as there is sure to be issues with a lack of understanding that these are a fellow (well loved) members watches which would hold sentimental value. I suppose part of the potential "issues" could be alleviated by a short clip of the watch working and changing date if necessary.

Further +1 for it being in VIP.

Plus his reps are not likely to be the super reps most noobs are chasing, I've been around a good while and knew Baldrick but little of the man behind the online persona, but from what I understood he didn't hold with the super anal obsession about tiny details and flaws that many have.

He bought what he liked and didn't give a single fuck what anyone would think.

So, what members may be willing to pay may not match with noobs expectations.

I expect though there are probably some serious rarities in the collection, and everyone who's been around here for a while know he had fine taste

It's a great idea, and I think VIP may be a good option

elp

-Mach

Hands off .... I bought more than 5 Grahams after seeing his Mk III :lol:

lrnz

Sounds like an awesome idea. I joined the forum but unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to get to know him, but I did some research and he looked like a really nice guy to talk to. It's sad what happened.

_DC_

Auction, if allowed, would be a nice idea, there's bound to be some rare pieces in Neil's collection and the only way to price them is to let the market dictate what they are worth.

Not sure he had many Patek's if any, other than the MBK Nautilus which famously found its way into a CRM jewellers YouTube video, lol (how Balders enjoyed that one) but if he still had it I wouldn't mind bidding for that beauty, however inaccurate it may be!

DC

Time bandit

Great idea,

i didnt get to know him either , what ever way I'm sure will be good as it's the best watch site with the best members

Gobo1973

If the money is going to charity the sale should include all forum members to achieve maximum price per watch.

I know I wouldn't mind spending a bit extra for a watch knowing the funds are going to a good cause.

Edited by Gobo1973

Daffy

If the money is going to charity the sale should include all forum members to achieve maximum price per watch.

I know I wouldn't mind spending a bit extra for a watch knowing the funds are going to a good cause.

I understand your point of view, but this sale will be driven by the VIP's (Supporters) on this site. The watches will most likely go for more (and in some cases MUCH more) than they would be worth 'on the open market'. Who would overbid, and pay too much for a watch that doesn't mean anything to them? Only the people here who interacted with Baldrick here on this site. Otherwise, they are just used reps, and probably several revisions out of date.

These are items that cause emotion in the long term members here. They will be the ones to over bid. I can't claim Baldrick as a close friend or anything, but we did chat a couple of times. I sincerely enjoyed his online persona, and I would absolutely LOVE to be able to add one of his pieces to my collection. For which I will overpay. (If it doesn't become TOO high for my cash flow...)

jdog

I understand your point of view, but this sale will be driven by the VIP's (Supporters) on this site. The watches will most likely go for more (and in some cases MUCH more) than they would be worth 'on the open market'. Who would overbid, and pay too much for a watch that doesn't mean anything to them? Only the people here who interacted with Baldrick here on this site. Otherwise, they are just used reps, and probably several revisions out of date.

These are items that cause emotion in the long term members here. They will be the ones to over bid. I can't claim Baldrick as a close friend or anything, but we did chat a couple of times. I sincerely enjoyed his online persona, and I would absolutely LOVE to be able to add one of his pieces to my collection. For which I will overpay. (If it doesn't become TOO high for my cash flow...)

Fair point but I havent up'd my VIP status yet and would be all over picking up a piece or 2 from Neil's collection. Limiting to VIP could exclude quite a few guys and gals who had the pleasure of dealing with him and quite enjoyed his presence around here. Just my 2 cents. :)

Mazz

There will be NO auctions

pj1312

need help,how do you upload photos on here??

_DC_
There will be NO auctions

Well that answers that question, to be fair the logistics would be tricky with people in multiple timezones etc!

DC

jdog

Upload the photos to a Photobucket account, or similar, and then copy the link for each pic and post it here.

Rokerite

Although I never knew Baldrick personally I enjoyed reading old posts of his and the idea of selling his watches to people who would appreciate them and donating the proceeds to charity that is trying to end the cruel disease that took his life is a very good idea. Without people like him there would be no forums and no trusted dealers, a true pioneer in this hobby we should all be grateful to.

SuperbMonster

3 posts above your original was a response from Daffy. You probably spent some time admiring the airbags on Hannah his avatar but if you divert your eyeballs to his signature you will find some nice easy instructions.

pj1312

3 posts above your original was a response from Daffy. You probably spent some time admiring the airbags on Hannah his avatar but if you divert your eyeballs to his signature you will find some nice easy instructions.

DOH !!!! I guess we all need to start somewhere....

pj1312
I'd have one.

Don't think there can be any price arguments with all money going to charity. Price them high - I'm sure a fair few people will pay for them having been Balders and being charitable.

Yeah this I'd say (obviously pending gregs approval) but IMO a charity sale in rememberence of baldrik could be a reason to skirt the rules slightly

Ran it by Greg, but the rules state no auctions,so i must abide by forum rules,ill price them at £100, people can offer what they think is a reasonable price,as ive not a clue what they are worth. Narikaa (Reg) has been a great help in advising me as to has Greg.

Thanks guys again.

Mike on a bike

Raffle them in bulk depending on amount...........if you need help I have a lot of experience.

Greg sure it could be done w proceeds going to charity a good effort,MOAB at hand.

narikaa

Well from memory there's some right bargains there at a "long'un" each

Though I suppose there are no rules that would preclude a charitable enhancement to any payment

It's all going to Cancer Research UK (it's not as if PJ is about to run off and spend it all on fried Mars Bars :giggle: )

Mike on a bike

Reggie straight sale OK but well w/ a raffle well we get everyone involved in an effort to honor a friend.

narikaa

Indeed and though Ive not spoken to PJ in a while, I do know he put auction/raffles to Greg (at my suggestion)

The earlier submissions in this thread leave no doubt that an auction is not going to be viable