Sign in to follow this  
Diver Dave

New Rep better than Old Gen (Rolex Bracelet)

Diver Dave

Scored an Exolorer II (Noob) from Simon, and upon inspection.... the bracelet blows away the original Rolex one that I've had on my Gen 1665 Sea Dweller for the last 38 years.

Now, my 1665 bracelet is essentially worn out, and barely locks any more. Even with that said, the rep bracelet is of the newer Rolex design, which is superior, is finished as well as the original, locks securely, and is *loads* better than the old bracelet was *when it was new*.

So.... off comes the old Bracelet, into a box it's being tossed, the rep bracelet is going on, and I'll toss a NATO on the Explorer.

This written just as a little reassurance to others that "there's some darned good rep stuff out there".

Dave

dingle

pics?

:P

jdog

Assuming the old bracelet is a 93150? The clasp can usually be tightened relatively easily. BTW, be VERY careful with the SEL on the rep bracelet. It WILL wear away at your 1665 engravings rather quickly.

Edited by jdog

GenTLe
austinsom

Assuming the old bracelet is a 93150? The clasp can usually be tightened relatively easily. BTW, be VERY careful with the SEL on the rep bracelet. It WILL wear away at your 1665 engravings rather quickly.

On the strength of that alone I'd put the Nato on your gen, don't want to do that to a classic :o

Nikosaldente

There you go:

Vintage Rolex Bracelet Clasp Instructions - 2_zpso8d0ekla.jpg

Diver Dave

My 1665 markings were worn off two decades ago... ot at least "mostly". This has been a work-watch for almost 4 decades, and doesn't understand kindness.

NATO straps don't actually work very well when you're working every day with your hands. I get drenched with jet fuel, hydraulic oil, and other scum on a pretty regular basis. And cleaning fish, and in salt water etc etc. Steel band? No sweat. Soap and hot water and it's good to go. NATO? Throw it out...

I'll try the fit though, and if it's not right I'll do something else. The problem with my original bracelet is that the holes for the pin for the flip-lock are so worn that the flip-lock can be removed with finger pressure. It really needs help.

Dave

Diver Dave
There you go: Vintage Rolex Bracelet Clasp Instructions - 2_zpso8d0ekla.jpg

Thanks. That works for abut 20 years, for the next ten years it's loose, and then the next 10 years you're fearful.

The old "fix" we used to use for the non-flip bracelets that we had on our original Subs when working as divers offshore was to pop the bracelet off the watch and slip a scuba cylinder valve O-Ring over the bracelet. After locking it you slide the O-Ring over the clasp to prevent it from popping open. That was pretty universally done "in the day".

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Have you handled one? I'd be inerested in the quality of them.

Thanks,

Dave

Piccolo

Glad it got to you in the end... it's a really well built watch for the money.

Piccolo
There you go:

Thanks. That works for abut 20 years, for the next ten years it's loose, and then the next 10 years you're fearful.

The old "fix" we used to use for the non-flip bracelets that we had on our original Subs when working as divers offshore was to pop the bracelet off the watch and slip a scuba cylinder valve O-Ring over the bracelet. After locking it you slide the O-Ring over the clasp to prevent it from popping open. That was pretty universally done "in the day".

Dave

Quite like that as a fix

Diver Dave

Piccolo, it's a nice watch, and everyone is happy. Thanks for starting the ball rolling.

"Quite like that as a fix"

It's a nice old-school way to do it. If you "really" want to look like you've worn the watch since 1972 you might at well know how they were worn then. We used to buy the rivet bracelets for about $50 or so and tossed them out after a year or two. They never were considered to be anything great until the solid link fliplock bracelets came out.

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

GenTLe
Why don't you get instead an old style rep bracelet alone for the 1665? They are out there: https://m.dhgate.com...itorid=7J7ZJn0d https://m.dhgate.com...itorid=7J7ZJn0d

Yes... But I can't really compare to a gen one :) I mean that the only similar gen I've seen around is the old sub of my boss witch is so worn out that is not comparable. I have one on now and it's more than fine for me :)

Diver Dave
Why don't you get instead an old style rep bracelet alone for the 1665? They are out there: https://m.dhgate.com...itorid=7J7ZJn0d https://m.dhgate.com...itorid=7J7ZJn0d

Yes... But I can't really compare to a gen one :) I mean that the only similar gen I've seen around is the old sub of my boss witch is so worn out that is not comparable. I have one on now and it's more than fine for me :)

Thanks, for the price it's probably worth looking at.

Dave

Nikosaldente
There you go:

Dave

You're welcome!

Neat trick with the O-ring!

Might come in handy sometime!

Cheers!