Sign in to follow this  
presence00

Hong Kong

presence00

Hey all,

It's been a while. I went over to the darkside with a gen Omega FOIS that was released the year my son was born and have been beating it up for him since. I'm off soon to Hong Kong for a couple of days and wondered if anyone had any recommendations about in person shopping for reps. If it is a *bad idea*, no worries but I thought it might be fun to wander through a place selling quality reps if any such thing existed (secret handshakes and all)... any recommendations?

Thanks.

Mazz

most stuff avalaible in the night market was crap

k3rm87

Canal st crap in the markets, speak to vendors to get ETA watches and 7750's, got a Daytona 7750 for $250usd when I was there, being seconds at 6 crapped out a few months later.

Slink73

I live in HK and there's a huge 'copy watch' trade here.

So 1st thing - be careful buying anything, rep or gen. Gen prices are very low here but you have to go to a reputable dealer (not necessarily AD) and just because there's a Panerai logo in the shop window and it looks a professional outfit there's no guarantee they're not selling you a Kuvarsit special. Likewise under a pressure sale, and a slightly less than comfortable environment people buy shit reps thinking it is better than it is.

The various hotspots for reps (around TST) or any of the night markets will get you access. Be prepared to follow a chap into a dark alley, up ten flights of stairs in what looks like a derelict building and then swelter in a closed box of a tiny apartment. That is completely normal and how 95% of Hong Kong lives its life. In the markets you may be squirrelled to the back of the stall and a dodgy box will appear. The quality reps are rarely at the stall, so even here be prepared to follow them into the darkness..

You have to be particular and know your shit. Always, always ask for their top end reps and you will still be shown shit - DH-gate specials. Stick to your guns and ask for better quality. If its a good dealer he will have them.Then be prepared to whistle when the price hits HK$3000 roughly 300 quid. Then haggle really hard and only if you know you want the watch. If you think it's a cheappo and he's still trying big numbers offer 10% - $300. If it does appear half decent (PAMs are often pretty good) start @20%. Always tell them you know reps. Cantonese is a blunt language and it translates bluntly into english. so don't be surprised if the seller gets all angry and flustered. Be ready to leave as a threat the haggle isn't worth the effort. The bluster is all part of the haggle. Be prepared to come up to 50% of the initial price and $1000 to $1500, for a relatively good rep is the norm. I watch tourists get ripped off because they think they've caused offence and end up paying $2000 for a $300 watch.

The big part is know your limits. If you know your rollie GMTs inside out and from memory recognise the CG is correct and the fonts etc are all good then you can find exceptional bargains. 90% of the time they take tourists for a song. I love the haggle and still take friends etc. to fight with the traders and some know me by face, i have screwed up and paid well over the odds but it's been a fun night. In HK a bar tab can easily be $2000.

There's no secret handshake, they will openly ask you if you want "copy bag, copy watch" and its still a major draw in the markets.

Slink73

^ just a note about the disappearing into alleyways, this is not an exaggeration and whilst HK is extremely safe in comparison to other mega-cities you still need to keep your wits about you - don't take HK$20,000 and a gen rollie for example. I have never heard of a tourist being robbed in this situation and in fact I would say with 99% confidence you will be safe but never say never!

Slink73
Canal st crap in the markets, speak to vendors to get ETA watches and 7750's, got a Daytona 7750 for $250usd when I was there, being seconds at 6 crapped out a few months later.

A good example here. I would defo avoid chrono's, hell even our TDs struggle to deliver a good 7750...

presence00

Thanks everyone.

Slink - thanks for all the info! We are staying in Tsim Sha Tsui, only in town for a few days and will be fighting jetlag. Anything I should absolutely bring my wife to see while we are there? She's never been to China or HK.

Cheers!

Slink73

HK is a barking place... so depends what's your cup of tea. Street food is everywhere and in most cases very good. Eating is a massive part of the culture so a food tour is always fun and can take in the markets etc. too. You have to take the Star Ferry across the harbour, costs about 50 cents (in your money!) great way to see the sky line. if you got a clear evening viewing sunset from the peak on the island is pretty awesome. Temples/shrines are scattered everywhere...

If you like cocktails, start at the world's highest bar - the Ozone - 118 floors up top of the ICC - you can sit outside and look over probably one of the most impressive skylines in the world!

As you're in TST watch hunting will be easy!

OLDBLOKE74

I was there last week.

For Brits the gens are not cheap - our GBP is shrinking. In TST it seems like every other shop is a watch seller! If you look into the window you will be approached by a guy offering "copy watch" , I never saw one that I felt matched a TD high end rep and the sellers are very insulted when you tell them they are shit. If you really want a Speedy research this place and look for the "tells " because I am sure I saw some reps in very credible shops.

For fantastic (not cheap) Chinese food with a view try Hutong or the place just below Ozone on level 102 !

Star ferry is a must and Victoria Peak is worth a visit if you get a clear day. The ladies market and sneaker street are interesting - oh and get an Octopus card if you want to get around a lot.

Enjoy

rawbaws

So 1st thing - be careful buying anything, rep or gen. Gen prices are very low here but you have to go to a reputable dealer (not necessarily AD) and just because there's a Panerai logo in the shop window and it looks a professional outfit there's no guarantee they're not selling you a Kuvarsit special. Likewise under a pressure sale, and a slightly less than comfortable environment people buy shit reps thinking it is better than it is.

The various hotspots for reps (around TST) or any of the night markets will get you access. Be prepared to follow a chap into a dark alley, up ten flights of stairs in what looks like a derelict building and then swelter in a closed box of a tiny apartment. That is completely normal and how 95% of Hong Kong lives its life. In the markets you may be squirrelled to the back of the stall and a dodgy box will appear. The quality reps are rarely at the stall, so even here be prepared to follow them into the darkness..

You have to be particular and know your shit. Always, always ask for their top end reps and you will still be shown shit - DH-gate specials. Stick to your guns and ask for better quality. If its a good dealer he will have them.Then be prepared to whistle when the price hits HK$3000 roughly 300 quid. Then haggle really hard and only if you know you want the watch. If you think it's a cheappo and he's still trying big numbers offer 10% - $300. If it does appear half decent (PAMs are often pretty good) start @20%. Always tell them you know reps. Cantonese is a blunt language and it translates bluntly into english. so don't be surprised if the seller gets all angry and flustered. Be ready to leave as a threat the haggle isn't worth the effort. The bluster is all part of the haggle. Be prepared to come up to 50% of the initial price and $1000 to $1500, for a relatively good rep is the norm. I watch tourists get ripped off because they think they've caused offence and end up paying $2000 for a $300 watch.

The big part is know your limits. If you know your rollie GMTs inside out and from memory recognise the CG is correct and the fonts etc are all good then you can find exceptional bargains. 90% of the time they take tourists for a song. I love the haggle and still take friends etc. to fight with the traders and some know me by face, i have screwed up and paid well over the odds but it's been a fun night. In HK a bar tab can easily be $2000.

There's no secret handshake, they will openly ask you if you want "copy bag, copy watch" and its still a major draw in the markets.

My father has tried to buy a few gens while in HK, shopped at AD's etc and could never get them down to a reasonable price - he would have me call jewelers here in AUS and they would always beat the price, including GST here. These were mid range gens (black bay etc)

Same happened to a friend looking for a zenith.

I really don't think HK is cheap. It might depend on the watch - if they are popular, they simply won't move on price even if they have it in stock and you are willing to pay cash right there and then - probably because they think somebody will be through the door in a few minutes who will pay full price?

rawbaws

If you really want a Speedy research this place and look for the "tells " because I am sure I saw some reps in very credible shops.

Interesting. Sure you wen't looking at a speedie reduced (auto)?

Slink73

My father has tried to buy a few gens while in HK, shopped at AD's etc and could never get them down to a reasonable price - he would have me call jewelers here in AUS and they would always beat the price, including GST here. These were mid range gens (black bay etc)

Same happened to a friend looking for a zenith.

I really don't think HK is cheap. It might depend on the watch - if they are popular, they simply won't move on price even if they have it in stock and you are willing to pay cash right there and then - probably because they think somebody will be through the door in a few minutes who will pay full price?

Interesting, the thing is it's a personal experience, in HK you have to haggle and haggle hard. If you're a gweillo you're at a disadvantage as they either think you're a tourist (there to have a wallet raping) or an expat (massively overpaid). But things have changed and the local Chinese market isn't anywhere near as buoyant as it was and so actually the ADs aren't so confident a wedge of cash is coming through the door. On buying my IWC portofino I got just under 25% off on an already competitive price (better than the tax free price in UK) and I had two Santoni straps thrown in too. They're AD list price is over US$500 each.

Your point about stock is very valid though. A friend's other half is part of the luxury watch supply chain and he surprised me by saying how few of each watch type are held by rolex ADs for example. That will have an impact definitely.

That said I went to my nearest AD just last week after a price on a BLNR GMT Master II and without haggling he came down to HK$58k. About US$7000. That's about US$2000 under the list price for a watch considered the more accessible (cheap) GMT version that also has constrained stock. If I can get another HK$8k out of the AD then I will have a new gen for the wristies!

BL888

I wouldnt bother getting from HK. Unless you know someone local to take you then you are guaranteed to get scammed.

TBH your best dealing direct with a TD here there will not be much difference in the price but you will get the protection needed.

Kleen™

A friend of mine saved a substantial amount by buying a gen in HK, but that was a specific Patek, that they just happened to have in stock. For reps I'd stick to our TDs, unless you decide to do it just for the fun experience...

hwlexus

Sound scary. I remember many years ago I was at shanghai market and taken thru the back alley. Don't feel safe walking thru all the back lanes. My advice is never never accept to go alone.

Gmtaddict

Done that a couple times, usually a good fun but worthless in term of quality.

You would be much better off taking the MTR to Shenzhen

aldo_watch

I've been in HK several time for business.... If you are smart you can foind a very, very good price for the Gen. But... yiou have to know really well models and references...

You can find a TONS of rep as well. Some are really nice and - do not forget - lots of TD are based in HK or they have connections to HK...

narikaa

Anything I should absolutely bring my wife to see while we are there? She's never been to China or HK.

Take her to a public toilet

An assault on her senses that will last a lifetime

;)

You would be much better off taking the MTR to Shenzhen

Yup an afternoon at Lowu would be a good excursion and further up the geographic food chain towards the fountainhead (Guangzhou)