34923179070_77fb77060a_b.jpg

34923176570_6de177292f_b.jpg

34923179220_64e9b4a217_b.jpg

34923181510_0ff8e44da6_b.jpg

35310944875_cf99b32196_b.jpg

35143975502_8dd35ddf2c_b.jpg

35310947495_2868fb43a3_b.jpg

SuperbMonster

Top job. I'm jealous of your skills. I'm hoping to get a couple of cheap movements that I don't mind wrecking to have a tinker at some point. I'm sure it's very rewarding to put some of the small issues right yourself.

NCRich

What glue are you using for the DW?

GenTLe

Top job. I'm jealous of your skills. I'm hoping to get a couple of cheap movements that I don't mind wrecking to have a tinker at some point. I'm sure it's very rewarding to put some of the small issues right yourself.

Thanks mate, for cheap mechanical movements look here, they are perfect for start tinkering: http://stores.ebay.com/bigbrandvintagewatchesonsale/

What glue are you using for the DW?

Slow-dry 2 component epoxy. This one: http://www.uhu-profishop.com/uhu-plus-300-epoxy-resin-adhesive-tube-binder-tube-hardener-33g.html

It is strong (so 3/4 micro drops are more than enough), it is easy to clean while soft, is it not so liquid so once you find the position, the DWO will not move around, and it gives you even 30/40 mins time to reposition the DWO.

The drawback is that once you find the position, you'll have to wait the day after (or at least 2+ hours) to finish to assemble everything, because if you start earlier there is the risk to move the DWO and royally fuck up everything.

GenTLe

Some further advancement.

The movement got the hands and has been cased and timed on the timegrapher, you need to take care because pained hands are pretty easy to be scratched badly (not that the shiny metal ones aren't...):

34941634520_f96a08b374_o.jpg

With a small brush I also put some copper antifriction grease on the crown and caseback thread because I noticed that the friction between the titanium (crown and case) and steel (tube and caseback) was quite high

35299719076_b425fd0524_o.jpg

I noticed also a problem on the insert, that was probably caused by me when I cleaned the backside of it from the glue residue :wacko:

The ZF insert (probably also the KW/V6F one) is sprayed with a transparent dull paint to protect the luminova. And on a part of it the paint was partially wiped away.

So I resprayed it with some glossy finish (I didn't have the dull one) nitro spray and this evening I'll make it dull with some 1500 grade sand paper.

34495986724_21b2bc41e3_o.jpg

Brushing (wet sand paper grade 1500) done, I like it:

35218721651_de5c8ec12f_b.jpg

GenTLe

And done!

34505213904_12e81e2923_b.jpg

35181583852_8fa256a8e4_b.jpg

:)

Foxindebox

That is a top job mate, well done :clap:

ryaku

Looks good now!

GenTLe

Thanks guys.

Just a couple of wristies' to close the thread :)

34546772083_184b12d3e3_o.jpg

34546775603_436d608f6b_o.jpg

34969646290_05da0e1b8c_o.jpg

Nikosaldente

Awesome work Alex!

Enjoy wearing it in the best of health mate!

Cheers!

GenTLe

Thank you! :)

BM284

That was fucking amazing mate - your Tudor looks the absolute nuts! You'll have a string of members wanting this mod done now :) tip of the hat to you sir ;)

GenTLe
That was fucking amazing mate - your Tudor looks the absolute nuts! You'll have a string of members wanting this mod done now :) tip of the hat to you sir ;)

Thanks mate, but this wasn't the scope of the post :)

If I can do it, most of us can do it: before march 2014 I had never touched a mechanical watch :)

SuperHero

Wow. just, wow.

erklep

care to sell this??=-D

GenTLe
care to sell this??=-D
No way :)

erklep
18 hours ago, GenTLe said:

No way :)

Can't blame a guy for trying! LHD Pelly is tough to come across now. Cheers!

GenTLe
On 16/06/2017 at 13:11, GenTLe said:

I noticed also a problem on the insert, that was probably caused by me when I cleaned the backside of it from the glue residue :wacko:

The ZF insert (probably also the KW/V6F one) is sprayed with a transparent dull paint to protect the luminova. And on a part of it the paint was partially wiped away.

So I resprayed it with some glossy finish (I didn't have the dull one) nitro spray and this evening I'll make it dull with some 1500 grade sand paper.

Brushing (wet sand paper grade 1500) done, I like it:

35218721651_de5c8ec12f_b.jpg

Ok, resuming this thread to add something about the quoted part upper...

NEVER EVER use a not "damn good" paint on the external part of any watch. The paint I used in the picture upper was a spray can of acrylic dull finishing transparent. Probably something similar to the one the Factory used to build the watch that was damaged by me the 1st time while I was cleaning the glue from below the insert.

Last weekend I used the watch to ride the motorcycle and go for a trekking and I noticed it had a mark on the insert. Not a scratch (it was nothing I can feel passing the finger or nail on it), but annoying nevertheless.

I tried to remove it with a ultrafine sandpaper: the sandpaper was not working well on it, too soft of a paint and it was "melting on the sandpaper". Then I cleaned the watch with some isopropyl alcohol sprayed on it and a cloth, like I do on all my watches before to put them back in the box... And the crappy paint got sticky. The basic alcohol was acting as a paint thinner on that stupid paint!!!

Ok then, I ordered on the web some 2k HS clear coat (dull) for bodyshop and industrial application (this one: https://www.siropaints.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/ST61.1.X30.pdf), one that in its tech sheet says something like "due to nano components it's extremely resistant to scratches and solvents" (gasoline, alcohol, acids and so on don't do anything to it), I had to disassemble the bezel again, remove the insert, use isopropyl alcohol to remove all the crappy acrylic paint and, finally, used my airbrush to give 2 layers of this new 2k paint on the insert.

Lesson learned and pretty sure this one will work MUCH better!

Now it's finally ok (here placed on a piece of paper tape to keep it in place while airbrushing it):

50365094472_4a31b0e3cf_o.jpg

50364932206_cba9eb7c8f_o.jpg