Sign in to follow this  
Rassilon

Anybody ever had a 7750 that will only tick when upside down (face to the ground)?

Rassilon

Because I do. And while there is some novelty to the situation, it's not exactly optimal.

Any ideas? =)

Foxindebox
Because I do. And while there is some novelty to the situation, it's not exactly optimal.

Any ideas? =)

has it been dropped? Might be a balance issue if it's in that one position.

Rassilon

Nope, no

Any ideas? =)

has it been dropped? Might be a balance issue if it's in that one position.

Nope, no drops. Pretty much TLC so far. I can see the wheel moving perfectly fine when its inverted, but it's dead stopped right-side-up.

Rassilon

The ticking gets much louder when rotating the watch to about 80 degrees or so. Just after 90 degrees the wheel stops.

Foxindebox

That sounds like the balance to me. Someone else might chip in with a better idea, but I think that might be the cause.

Rassilon

Grabbing some video right now. It'll pick up the ticking too. Standby...

Rassilon

Okay fellas, here's video. Turn up the volume a bit. You'll be able to hear the ticking clear as a bell.

Foxindebox

Something is definitely up with that balance IMO. I've had a coupe of watches with bent pinions that behaved exactly like that.

dirkhunt

Poss pivot broke?

GenTLe

In any case it must be disassembled to find out where the problem is, so making hypothesis now it is a bit useless :(

I also think it is something to do with pinions of the balance

Rassilon

Thanks, guys!

Is a pinion-based problem something that most watch-smiths could deal with?

I don't know if I have a rep-friendly one in the area, but I guess this would be motivation to find out.

Thelittleprince

Is it drunk?

Jk :P but there are some rep freindly guys who can fix it for you here! Never had to so im not sure who can exactly but theres a bunch of great guys who can fix it for you

Rassilon

Jk :P but there are some rep freindly guys who can fix it for you here! Never had to so im not sure who can exactly but theres a bunch of great guys who can fix it for you

Lol, I may have to do that. I live in Phoenix, so watchsmiths themselves aren't the problem. I just need to find a rep-friendly one.

If anybody knows of one, shout!

narikaa

Cracked/Broken jewel

Rassilon

Cracked/Broken jewel

Reg, you sound pretty sure. Should I just take it in and ask the local watchsmith if he can replace a cracked jewel?

Guess this would be a way to find out if he's rep friendly...

Cracked/Broken jewel

Btw, I never sent you a note about the DSSD Regmariner. It's just beautiful! Amazing bang for my buck, as usual.

Thanks, man!

mike_morgan

Reg, you sound pretty sure. Should I just take it in and ask the local watchsmith if he can replace a cracked jewel?

Guess this would be a way to find out if he's rep friendly...

Reg is probably right, but don't go in to a watchsmith with a diagnosis... tell them the symptoms, let them diagnose it.

A number of years ago, a buddy of mine had a problem with his car... it wasn't charging properly. Everybody told him "The alternator is bad... take it in to get that fixed" so he went to the auto repair shop and said "My alternator is bad, I need to have it replaced" which the repair shop did, to the tune of 270 bucks or so.

When he picked up his car, the car still didn't charge properly. He complained to the shop and they replied... "I did what you asked me to do, if you like, I can do a diagnostic and see what's wrong."

It was the voltage regulator, which is MUCH cheaper to replace than the alternator, so he seriously overspent to get his car working correctly.

That being said, I believe Reg IS right... but let the guy doing the repair diagnose the problem.

the_faz_man

I live in Australia, perhaps your watch would work correctly here given that I am 'down under'..........shall I buy it off you :)

dirkhunt

Speaking to my tutor last night, and he asked, has this watch been dropped?

GenTLe
Speaking to my tutor last night, and he asked, has this watch been dropped?

Yes, he is also pointing toward our guesses. Dropping a watch may results in cracked jewels or damaged balance wheel pivot :)

Rassilon

Man, I just don't remember dropping it. BUT my kids are often in my office, and a watch drop from them wouldn't be unheard of. =)

lrnz
Man, I just don't remember dropping it. BUT my kids are often in my office, and a watch drop from them wouldn't be unheard of. =)

Doesn't have di be dropped, sometimes taking a hit is enough to break a pivot

dirkhunt

Tutor says either a cracked jewel, pivot, roller jewel, or shellac.

Rassilon

If I can get away from work tomorrow, I'm going to try a local watchsmith.

Will report back!

dirkhunt

Good luck, maybe try ROLIE?