Sign in to follow this  
Thelittleprince

Buying a gold 1601 datejust at 22?

Thelittleprince

Whats up guys!

I need advice from the watch fam on what i should do! I am 22 years old and i am a watch collector, reason i say that is because a lot of you guys could relate to loving a watch thats kind of flashy, but hate showing off! Ever since i started collecting ive always wanted a gold datejust 1601. I stopped myself everytime because my thoughts were, i don't like showing off or am i too young? After collecting for 5 years i realized i still want that watch! I wanna know your thoughts on this subject, would really help a lot with my decision. Im going for a two tone 1601

20170617_180902_zpsjievocih.png

Oh what the heckkk!!! I swear i was on General Discussion!! What just happened lol!!

Mods please move this to GD

BM284

That looks lovely mate (as always) a timeless classic and the two tone is a lovely look and a watch like that!j

Dendo

go for it... you deserve it!!

wolfwood

I think this is in the wrong section.

Thommo82

I say buy what you like, this same watch is on my list too.

I understand your humble nature but just go for it!

I find that hardly anyone takes notice of my watches anyway, unless they are watch people

If it makes you happy, put it on your wrist

Thelittleprince
I think this is in the wrong section.

Yes i mentioned that on the post mate! No idea what happened lol

That looks lovely mate (as always) a timeless classic and the two tone is a lovely look and a watch like that!j

Very tempted! And also its been on my list for 5 years :lol:

go for it... you deserve it!!

Appreciate it mate!!! I might just do it!

WatchDog21

Payment sent!

Seriously, if after 5 years you are still yearning for this one then go for it. It's not like you are making a rushed decision. Buy it and keep it!

Thelittleprince

I find that hardly anyone takes notice of my watches anyway, unless they are watch people

Thats true, i also plan to always wear it on a vintage stitch strap so i guess that would make it a bit less flashy right?

Also, when i owned the Hulk.... A lot of people noticed :lmao: That's why i flipped it 2 days after buying it lol

Thelittleprince
Payment sent!

Seriously, if after 5 years you are still yearning for this one then go for it. It's not like you are making a rushed decision. Buy it and keep it!

Gorgeous huh? That champagne dial is to die for!!! On the pre owned market this goes for just a couple hundred over a stonep franken!

WatchDog21
Payment sent!

Gorgeous huh? That champagne dial is to die for!!! On the pre owned market this goes for just a couple hundred over a stonep franken!

Yes! Kinda makes me want one.

Thelittleprince
Payment sent!

Yes! Kinda makes me want one.

Go for it mate, 1601 and 1603 are great value! However not sure if you know, you can get the 1603 much cheaper than the 1601. Reason is 1601 only comes with precious metal bezel i believe and the 1603 has SS bezels

RUSH2112

My advice is to quit worrying about what others think.

Thelittleprince
My advice is to quit worrying about what others think.

That is true, i only care about my watch not being too flashy! I cant explain it, it really bothers me if something i have on gets attention! As watch collectors we love all watches and that includes some shiny ones! But you are right, i need to get over it

Patiently waiting for mods to kill me!

I promise i was posting on GD :(

mike_morgan

Buy what you love, and love what you buy. You're never too young or old for a 1601, it's a fantastic watch, it will last a lifetime, and will be the cornerstone of a pretty serious collection in the future.

The minute you worry about what people think of you, you're no longer in control of your life.

Thommo82

Thats true, i also plan to always wear it on a vintage stitch strap so i guess that would make it a bit less flashy right?

Also, when i owned the Hulk.... A lot of people noticed :lmao: That's why i flipped it 2 days after buying it lol

Sometimes I wish people would notice my watches!!

I walked into an AD who sold a variety of Swiss watches wearing my black ceramic submariner.

When I took it off to try on an Alpina, the guy assisting me commented that it was a, "lovely Seiko, Japanese made, but still a nice watch"

Thelittleprince
Buy what you love, and love what you buy. You're never too young or old for a 1601, it's a fantastic watch, it will last a lifetime, and will be the cornerstone of a pretty serious collection in the future.

The minute you worry about what people think of you, you're no longer in control of your life.

Amen! The trigger will be pulled after this!

Mr. Genesis

Like others said, buy what makes you happy. :) I'm also 22 years old and I couldn't care less what people think about my watches. I love them and I spend way to much time staring at them without even looking at the time! haha

Thelittleprince
Like others said, buy what makes you happy. :) I'm also 22 years old and I couldn't care less what people think about my watches. I love them and I spend way to much time staring at them without even looking at the time! haha

Hahaha! Not once in my life have i set the time on my watch. Thats what my phones for :lol:

k3rm87

Just go for it buddy, I would wear it on a nice vintage leather, or NATO or something and wouldn't care what people said/think.

Beautiful watch!

Thelittleprince

Thank you mod for moving without flaming me like a noob who's asking for the best submariner

:lmao:

Just go for it buddy, I would wear it on a nice vintage leather, or NATO or something and wouldn't care what people said/think.

Beautiful watch!

My thoughts exactly! Honestly i would never wear it on a bracelet,too shiny and the watch is small enough

RussP

I'm a little more than double your age and have my sights firmly set on a watch made in 1965.

Watch number 19 on this page is what I'd love to acquire sometime in the near future.............but not at this asking price.

http://www.vintagewatchcompany.com/the-birth-year/1965

As others have suggested, if you're still hankering for the date-just 1601 after 5 years, then go for it.

RussP

Sometimes I wish people would notice my watches!!

I walked into an AD who sold a variety of Swiss watches wearing my black ceramic submariner.

When I took it off to try on an Alpina, the guy assisting me commented that it was a, "lovely Seiko, Japanese made, but still a nice watch"

I'd never go to that AD again...............if the salesperson can't tell a Seiko from a Sub.............he doesn't deserve to be working in a watch store.

Thelittleprince
I'm a little more than double your age and have my sights firmly set on a watch made in 1965.

Watch number 19 on this page is what I'd love to acquire sometime in the near future.............but not at this asking price.

http://www.vintagewatchcompany.com/the-birth-year/1965

As others have suggested, if you're still hankering for the date-just 1601 after 5 years, then go for it.

The link has so many watches mate, which one are you referring to?

RussP

Number 19, row 7

Thelittleprince
Number 19, row 7

Alpha hands?