Sign in to follow this  
fatarms

Border Crossing - Canada/USA encounter

fatarms

So I've been in a hockey tournament every year around this time for the last 4 years. I've worn a Seiko one year, a Montblanc Anniversary Star Chrono the next, a JLC NSD last year and this year I wore my Gavox Legacy Navy Golden Stars.

This year was the first year, out of all the watches listed, that the border agent asked me about my watch. I saw him look at it a few times during the "where did you visit in Canada, anything to declare, blah blah" stuff. He asked "what kind of watch is that?" I said it was a Gavox. "A what?" I said Gavox again, he replied, "Oh, that's a nice watch." I think he was looking for a more recognizable name to see if I'd have to pay duties on it if I'd bought i up north.

I know he's not a watch connoisseur, but considering I've crossed the border back into the US with a Montblanc and JLC on my wrist (each well more than $5000 if real), I found it a little funny that this year would be the one where they ask about a watch that not only cost about $350, but was actually worth that in the real world :lol:

PhillyRock

The tax crunch in Canada has the Maple Leafs looking for every penny they can get.

They are looking at a deficient of a much bigger scale than years past.

Diver Dave

^^ The gentleman was entering the USA, so was dealing with US CBP people.

I doubt that he was looking for goods being imported. Usually they toss in a question that people "with a rehearsed story" will stumble on, a sort of a "surprise" question so to speak. Often they will simply engage in small talk to see how you reply: Nervous, avoiding eye contact, looking up and away with your eyes, etc etc. It's part of a series of things they do to gauge honesty. Likely he wasn't lokking at your watch, he was looking at your eyes and your micro-expressions.

https://www.paulekman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Who-Can-Catch-A-Liar.pdf

http://www.paulekman.com/category/facial-expressions/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sideways-view/201412/the-clues-deceit-the-psychology-lie-detection

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

rete

The tax crunch in Canada has the Maple Leafs looking for every penny they can get.

...I think he was talking about US customs on the way south...

TheTinMan

The only time a customs agent at a border crossing noticed one of my watches was at the Sarnia crossing and I was wearing a Nixon 51-30 Chronograph. It's a huge watch, and I had it dangling out the window on my left arm. It was entering the US and during the usual questions - Where are you going, how long, where are you from, etc. - he literally paused mid sentence because he noticed my watch. He blurted out 'that's a huge watch', then continued like it never happened. I laughed about it with my wife after we had passed through and I thing about that every time I cross now. I don't own that watch anymore so it's not an issue, but I won't dangle my arm out the window like that anymore either.

I think like anyone else, they'll notice anything flashy. I think they like to ask questions to look for a reaction and maybe anything suspicious. What Gavox were you wearing? I know some of them tend to be colourful and maybe that got his attention.

PhillyRock

...I think he was talking about US customs on the way south...

Well governments always have a hand extended to the pockets of the people.

fatarms

I think like anyone else, they'll notice anything flashy. I think they like to ask questions to look for a reaction and maybe anything suspicious. What Gavox were you wearing? I know some of them tend to be colourful and maybe that got his attention.

Legacy Navy Golden Stars

20170614_074326.jpg

TheTinMan

Nice watch! Nothing that would seem to grab too much attention unless he was a watch nerd, perhaps?