Sign in to follow this  
Marcoman

Advice required

Marcoman

Hi guys.....so, I'm working abroad for a couple more years and since I've been here, I amassed my fair share of reps to date...about 12 odd, and I'd say I'll pick up another 2/3 before I pack it in.....I'm heading home for the summer and plan to bring back 3 reps with me to rotate while I'm home.....will probably wear another and carry 3 in a travel watch box in my carry on....would anyone have any concerns carrying these through airports? Any advice?

My second question is a more longer term question...when I come home for good in say 2/3 years, I'll obviously want all my watches back with me. Might have shed a few by then but will likely still have 12 or so to bring back....I'm thinking it wouldn't be a smart move to try to bring a box of 12 reps back with me through the airport? So if this is a high risk manoeuvre then am I:

1. Better off bringing reps with me now and leaving them at home each time I return in the summer (probably 3 more times before I'm home for good) so that I just have a small number to bring back when I return for good. I could probably ask one or 2 visitors to bring a couple back with them also. Or

2. Would u be not too concerned and just bring say 3 through on the final trip home and just pack the rest in the boxes we will be air freighting home at the end?

I'd be interested in people's opinions or advice on this....thanks....

narikaa

To? From? Via?

Marcoman
To? From? Via?

To Ireland, from BAHRAIN via Heathrow....

Marcoman

Anyone got advice for me? Flying out tomorrow and advice will dictate what watches I pack......

tomtom1988

I fly London to the US a few times a year with watches, reps and gen (2-3 watches) usually in hand luggage and have never had a problem

narikaa

Personally, you are better bringing them yourself rather than in your final airfreight (as there's always risk of theft/loss)

If your luggage is 'checked through' to Ireland (ie no checkout/check in at Heathrow) then in your checked luggage will give the least exposure to 'checks'. If Northern Ireland there's also the chance you might employ one of the best 'dodges' ever in that you arrive on a domestic (internal UK) flight to a terminal with NO customs ;)

That said it's all about not raising the curiosity of the cigarette counters, these are personal in use items not commercial (wrapped etc), the initial 'problem' with a 'volume' of them is the perceived value as gens, the ciggie sniffer might get ideas of grandeur and start thinking of all that unpaid revenue - your only counter would be the 'but but but they are only worthless reps Mr' and onwards to where that leads.

All said, (unless you know for sure re the 'no customs' terminal scenario) then piecemeal them over your remaining flights wear one and a couple or three more packed appropriately in your luggage won't arouse any suspicion.

With the caveat, that you are not hauling anything else that will 'ring alarm bells'

Marcoman

Personally, you are better bringing them yourself rather than in your final airfreight (as there's always risk of theft/loss)

If your luggage is 'checked through' to Ireland (ie no checkout/check in at Heathrow) then in your checked luggage will give the least exposure to 'checks'. If Northern Ireland there's also the chance you might employ one of the best 'dodges' ever in that you arrive on a domestic (internal UK) flight to a terminal with NO customs ;)

That said it's all about not raising the curiosity of the cigarette counters, these are personal in use items not commercial (wrapped etc), the initial 'problem' with a 'volume' of them is the perceived value as gens, the ciggie sniffer might get ideas of grandeur and start thinking of all that unpaid revenue - your only counter would be the 'but but but they are only worthless reps Mr' and onwards to where that leads.

All said, (unless you know for sure re the 'no customs' terminal scenario) then piecemeal them over your remaining flights wear one and a couple or three more packed appropriately in your luggage won't arouse any suspicion.

With the caveat, that you are not hauling anything else that will 'ring alarm bells'

Cheers for the advice....to be honest, I've only ever been checked by customs once and that was because I got flustered and went through the wrong side....had smokes for a mate and actually had more than I should but they let me off.......might just go with the flow this time and consider maybe repatriating a few next year instead......