Sign in to follow this  
NFleischer

Watch Magnetized, Found Free App

NFleischer

I recently bought a rep from a TD here that arrived running SUPER fast. I mean minutes/hour!

I tried usual home remedies without success. I thought maybe it got magnetized during shipment. I had heard that can cause the watch to run very

fast. I brought it to my local watchmaker who poo-pooed me. He cleaned the balance wheel and put on the de-magnetizer. Long story short, still

running fast.

My point is : there is an i-phone app for free to see if your watch is magnetized.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lepsi-watch-magnetism/id1080183882?mt=8

I have to go back, still detect magnetism!

RepGuy

Your watch Smith poo-pood on you? You should probably leave that to the missus, don't want her getting jealous.

NFleischer

Yes, charged $100 for $30 job, didn't work. Royal dump I'd say.

RepGuy

I checked the app, and a review says it will detect any metals, even if not magnetized. Just something to look into

RUSH2112
I checked the app, and a review says it will detect any metals, even if not magnetized. Just something to look into

Metal in a watch? Say it ain't so.

Daffy

But it said my watch was ceramic. WTH?

RepGuy

What I mean is that I don't think that app is a good tool to check if the watch is magnetized. It may prevent you from going into your watch smith again and getting pooped on again. Although you may be into that sort of thing, who am I to judge

RepGuy
But it said my watch was ceramic. WTH?

I buy all of my watches at the Market of Marion. They are all Swiss AAA quality with real gold and ETA movements inside... according to that nice fellow who sold them to me

Diver Dave

What I mean is that I don't think that app is a good tool to check if the watch is magnetized. It may prevent you from going into your watch smith again and getting pooped on again. Although you may be into that sort of thing, who am I to judge

Thinking about how this would work from an engineering standpoint: The only possible technical way it can be done with a phone would b to use the internal fluxgate compass (hardware in the phone) to watch for a change in the compass when it's brought into proximity with a magnetized object. The compass is very sensitive, so actually leveraging this sensor and using it on an app is pretty smart. It's not going to "detect metal", it's going to look at magnetic field variances, which is exactly how a bench-mounted tester works as well.

Pretty clever.

VERY fast running watches are usually a balance spring hung though. A good solid rap on the table usually sorts them out... and if you pop one on a timegrapher they jump out as "bad". You can download "Hairspring" as an app to get a timegrapher app as well. It's no substitute for a real one, but it works pretty well for a quick look.

Edited by Diver Dave

dirkhunt

Just use a simple boy scout compass

Daffy

I found a compass years ago in a box of Cracker Jack that works perfectly for this.

NFleischer

No I checked it with a small magnet, only works with magnetized metal. BTW, some battery watches will activate it also,

not surprising. Yes, small hand held compass will work too. This is easier, always available. It will also quantify the level, not that it's important.

The weird thing was timegraph was not as bad as operation, don't understand it. We're talking > 1000 sec/day fast!!!

Edited by NFleischer

austinsom

I always check with a compass if timekeeping is way out, much easier

mysterio

Basically any app which uses the smartphone's internal compass like compass apps, gauss apps and magnetic field detector apps should detect if the watch is magnetized. A small compass works nicely but I'm sure there are more people who own a capable smartphone than a compass. :)