Sign in to follow this  
loketje

reflections driving me crazy

loketje

So I bought a cheapish but very nice IWC topgun (quartz). I like it a lot but there's no discernible AR coating on the glass so most of the time I'm unable to see even the dial of the watch :

iwc2.jpg

iwc1.jpg

I understand it's next to impossible to have the glass coated in europe.

I found a website in France but have had no reaction to my email so far.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this ?

thanks

martin

Edited by loketje

dfq23

you will be wasting your money getting it done. Would probably cost more than what the watch is worth! Better to move it on and get the auto rep

loketje

Will it have better AR ?

Diver Dave

The easy way is to simply change the crystal. It's pretty straightforward mechanically once you source a crystal. Sourcing one takes the removal of the old one, measuring it, and comparing the measurements to the catalog of available crystals. Then ordering it, and then finally installing it. No big deal for anyone who works on watches. I do it routinely as should any competent watchmaker.

Average good synthetic crystal with AR is about US$50, and installation another $50 at average. It that worth it? You decide.

Edited by Diver Dave

austinsom

How do you know it's that nice if you can't see the dial : ;): :boxedin:

Last AR job I had was about £80 including the removal and refitting of the crystal. If you want a prof job, it will be more.

loketje

The easy way is to simply change the crystal. It's pretty straightforward mechanically once you source a crystal. Sourcing one takes the removal of the old one, measuring it, and comparing the measurements to the catalog of available crystals. Then ordering it, and then finally installing it. No big deal for anyone who works on watches. I do it routinely as should any competent watchmaker.

Average good synthetic crystal with AR is about US$50, and installation another $50 at average. It that worth it? You decide.

I could never do that. And there's no one in this part of the world who will, as far as I know.

loketje

Well, mostly guessing. :fearlessleader:

Last AR job I had was about £80 including the removal and refitting of the crystal. If you want a prof job, it will be more.

Where did you have it done ? If it's in the UK that would be an option.

narikaa

Easy - change the crystal

If possible I'd opt for a flat one (if it'll fit) over that 'toffee shop' window pane you have currently

loketje

Easy - change the crystal

If possible I'd opt for a flat one (if it'll fit) over that 'toffee shop' window pane you have currently

To me, that doesn't sound easy at all. I would have to find a watchmaker that could do that for me.

narikaa

???

Then scour eBay for a magic wand

LightGeek

If you are comfortable removing and refitting the crystal, go for it. Else, it's a pretty cost that's probably better off on a different watch.

loketje

???

Then scour eBay for a magic wand

Thank you

ryaku

So I bought a cheapish but very nice IWC topgun (quartz). I like it a lot but there's no discernible AR coating on the glass so most of the time I'm unable to see even the dial of the watch :

iwc2.jpg

iwc1.jpg

I understand it's next to impossible to have the glass coated in europe.

I found a website in France but have had no reaction to my email so far.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this ?

thanks

martin

Same website I contacted I guess. No answer after months.

I won't bother to contact them again.

Save Steve in USA, do you know another company able to provide a good AR coating?

Edited by ryaku

austinsom

Well, mostly guessing. :fearlessleader:

Where did you have it done ? If it's in the UK that would be an option.

It was a lab in the UK that did coated optics, but most people who had crystals done there had the AR start to go blotchy. I got lucky and mine is fine. It was through a former tinkerer from these parts before things went south and they got booted out.

Personally, I'd save the money and put that towards the auto rep, you'd probably be about 1/3 of the way there with a cheap AR job, or halfway with the Prof. If you haven't seen a Prof crystal - check out this Montblanc I have with one of his AR'd crystals in it:

0F0ED89C-06E4-40A5-829D-1E70C79E96A4.jpg

austinsom

Well, photobucket is dead, I copied the link from my Montblanc folder :rofl:

Edit: 2nd time lucky...

2276EEFB-773E-48E9-8F5C-113AED355E4E.jpg

7755A6B0-89F5-450F-8523-A9E4B9939FAE.jpg

loketje

That's fantastic.

<< Personally, I'd save the money and put that towards the auto rep >>

Yeah, you're right..I promised myself no more expensive reps though..I'll start watching the M2M section..