Sign in to follow this  
GenTLe

Why DHL is EVIL

GenTLe

I got a Seiko from Creationwatches, costed me like 140Eur.

Among the 2 shipping methods, being it a gen, I selected DHL (both are for free).

Creationwatches for some reason declared a lower value than what I've paid.

The watch arrived in Italy and has been selected for a custom check (by the way, they didn't open the box). Note: the customs are country ones withing DHL premises, not ran by DHL themselves

DHL asked me to send them the proof of purchase (paypal receipt, a screenshot of the page describing the watch, my ID card copy etc), and I did it.

Customs released the watch after 8 days and it has been delivered by DHL with no request of money.

Yesterday I received a letter from DHL where they ask:

- 36.86 EUR VAT (ok, this was expected)

- 13.50 EUR for DHL "generic administrative fees"

- 80 EUR for DHL "customs revision administrative fees"

On the last two they applied VAT, so other 20.57EUR.

Total 150.93EUR.

For a 140EUR watch.

Now tell me that DHL is ok...

I hope they'll spend these money in medicine!

GC

Sorry to hear this...

RussP

Almost sounds like PayPal to me.

Sorry to read of your experience.

ryaku

Shameful...now we know very well the courier not to use

Paparolf

DHL lost a gen Pam I bought from Germany a few years ago. Refused to use them since.

Griffo

Can you not tell them to get fucked? Surely anyone, even in court (it wouldn't be worth it for them to take you to court) would think that's unreasonable...

narikaa

Best MO is to use a false name...

when the follow-up letter comes after delivery raising all the BS charges

call them & say Mr False Name was a back packer you met who stayed at your address

he left shortly after receiving a parcel

& could they let you know if they find him because he owes you a lot of money as well

:giggle:

GenTLe

They wanted a copy of ID card...

tomtom1988

DHL are shit, never using them again, I ordered a very expensive gen belt that some no brains cunt apparently left behind a plant pot for me even though I told the advisor not to leave it anywhere, they also claimed they tried to deliver it the day before (bullshit as my house was full the day before).

They tried refusing a refund saying that It was delivered, nearly lost the case aswell until Amazon stepped in after checking the tracking

Nikosaldente

Sorry to hear that GenTLe :(

I hope they use the money on root canal treatment....

adaptive

You should talk to the selling party in this case. If they wont help you cover the costs atleast maybe they will reconsider their partnership with dhl for the future...

Omeg@007

DHL sometimes acts like a stinky A$$....

Diplomatico

Why are you responsible these costs:

narikaa

They wanted a copy of ID card...

ID card???!!

Oh youre not from the free world then?

GenTLe

Why are you responsible these costs:

The first is always present everytime something needs to go through customs (and it a pirate price!). The second is something I shouldn't be responsible because I can't be responsible for something that I can't control (like what a seller declare as value). But they put it in the way that, once you receive the good, then you're forced to pay it.

And this is the reason they don't ask you the cash in advance or at delivery time, because at that point you can refuse the parcel and then it's only up to them to deal with customs and expenses.

Instead once the parcel has been delivered, they have completed their contract and you are forced to pay.

elp

Can't you tell DHL to go to CreationWatches for the EUR 80?

RepGuy

Usually companies will include a clause that the buyer is responsible for any customs fees or other shipping fees, so they can't be held liable.

elp

Usually companies will include a clause that the buyer is responsible for any customs fees or other shipping fees, so they can't be held liable.

In this case Alex is on the hook because Creation declared a lower value which he did not ask for - he should not be held liable.

RepGuy

In this case Alex is on the hook because Creation declared a lower value which he did not ask for - he should not be held liable.

I agree. I was just pointing out that companies will usually cover themselves in this way to prevent responsibility

GenTLe

Exactly. I've already paid. Let's consider it a fee over the ton of reps that passed under the radar...

elp

Exactly. I've already paid. Let's consider it a fee over the ton of reps that passed under the radar...

DId you ask Creation to mark the form differently from the total?

BadPickle

With all the DHL customs ripoff/seizure threads that pop up here you'd think they'd be avoided like the plague, especially to Italy, one of the most difficult customs in Europe.

They seem to have they're own "in house" customs office away from the government office, I'm guessing the 80euro charge is for themselves when they work for the government.

madbadger

totally different thing, but i bought an electric motor for one of my model aeroplanes, it came from China so i paid import duties (delivered by DHL).

Less than a month the motor failed, i was told to send it back (i post it with Royal Mail Post UK) they replaced the motor and a replacement came via DHL, DHL then sent me a invoice for import duties again, i rang them and said that i had sent the motor back for a replacement as the original one failed, so in my eyes, it was a warranty claim. They said that the motor was brand new and that i had to pay the import and admin fees again, i told them to sod off and go and get it from the company i bought the motor off, i told them on the phone that i wasn't paying a penny to them.....

they never followed it up........so i didn't pay anything. I would have told them to sod off.......

i think these companies try it on just to get money out of people.

GenTLe

DId you ask Creation to mark the form differently from the total?

Not this time. The funny thing is that the difference was little, maybe they messed up between the Japan and the Malaysian model, mine is the Jap one. DOn't want to mess up with them and maybe ending up in the "no to sell" list. As said, let's put it in the avalanche of watches that slipped already under the radar.

PBR; they aren't so strict... They are strict only when using couriers because of the fees they get. Standard postal service never gave me any problem whatsoever (but patience is needed: 10 days to leave the customs are a normal waiting time). They may have their own customs, especially like in this case where it passed through Bergamo airport, where they have their biggest logistic base in Italy

Kernow

I'd have contested any fees. Your contract is with the seller not DHL. Tell them to seek to recover their fees from the seller.