Sign in to follow this  
WarBoom

V7 116610 running faster and faster

WarBoom

I received my V7 116610 SA3135 on June 14.

It is beautiful and other than the shape of the bezel and the color of the insert it is almost perfect.

It was running +4 seconds per day. Which I was very pleased with.

But over the last 2 weeks it has been gaining more and more time.

2 weeks ago it was gaining 7 seconds.

Last week it was gaining 15 seconds.

And It now gains about 22 seconds per day.

I Love this watch. I wear it quite often but when I don't I leave it on my winder.

I even let the reserve die out and stop the watch to try and get it back on track but to no avail.

Is this a fatal movement issue or can it be fixed?

Who would y'all recommend to fix or adjust the movement?

I'm located in Tampa, FL and would prefer someone stateside.

rawbaws

I wouldn't muck around with it unless it gets really serious.

22 seconds a day is something I could live with.

It may stabilize?.

Nikosaldente

Does it gain time :

1.On the wrist?

2.On the winder?

3.Laying on the table?=> Crown up/Crown down/Dial up/Dial down?

RepGuy

Sounds like you've got a time machine warming up

SuperbMonster

Apply alcohol, usually helps to lose time. Days can be achieved with whisky :)

GenTLe

Maybe it's simply magnetized. Magnets causes this problems to the watches. If you find someone to try to demagnetize it and then it goes back to normality: that's it.

Otherwise you may need to make the movement to be serviced. Surely it's not a terrible problem.

Left Coast Guy

I wouldn't worry until you get past 1-2 minutes per day...

From what I've heard, the 3135 clones are pretty terrible to fix....which can make find a local repair shop difficult. Always better of sticking with 28XX mov'ts....

WarBoom

Thanks everyone. I'll just leave it be.

It gains time on my wrist or on the winder.

I can't think of when it could have been magnetized.

NDJ

More than likely the movement has been magnetised. A watch can get magnetized many ways. For example some phone flip covers have magnets in them, and electric power tools produce powerful magnetic fields, as 2 examples. Chinese copy movements, due to often being made from inferior metals, are more prone to be magnetised than movements in genuine watches.

A cheap demagnetiser off ebay will be the easiest way to find out if that's the problem, and will also more than likely solve the problem. In any event a demagnetiser is a useful tool for any watch enthusiast to own.

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

By the way, I couldn't live with a watch gaining 22 seconds a day!

Edited by NDJ

WarBoom

More than likely the movement has been magnetised. A watch can get magnetized many ways. For example some phone flip covers have magnets in them, and electric power tools produce powerful magnetic fields, as 2 examples. Chinese copy movements, due to often being made from inferior metals, are more prone to be magnetised than movements in genuine watches.

A cheap demagnetiser off ebay will be the easiest way to find out if that's the problem, and will also more than likely solve the problem. In any event a demagnetiser is a useful tool for any watch enthusiast to own.

I just ordered one of these off amazon. How exactly do I use it?

EDIT nevermind I read a tutorial seems pretty easy

Edited by WarBoom

WarBoom

I downloaded a magnetisem detector from lepsi.ch. My watch does show magnetism but only when it is held super close to the detection area.

NDJ

I just ordered one of these off amazon. How exactly do I use it?

EDIT nevermind I read a tutorial seems pretty easy

Put the watch close to the surface of the demagnetiser, press the red button and move the watch slowly from side to side (left to right) while slowly lifting it upwards at the same time. The magnetic field drops off exponentially with distance so you only have to take it about a foot away for it to be reduced to negligible.

Repeat the process with the watch in different positions, ie. face up, face down, 12 down, 12 up, 3 down, 3 up.

TRANSPORTER
I downloaded a magnetisem detector from lepsi.ch. My watch does show magnetism but only when it is held super close to the detection area.

might of been a waste of cash that, I just use a small button compass and use that, when near the balance the needle will move in time with it, showing a magnetised balance, if that's the case on with the demagnetiser, as said before hold the watch over it push your button then slow, y lift away, should not be more than a pro 5 secs each run ok

narikaa

At that progression, I wonder if it'll be ready in time to qualify for the 2020 olympics

WarBoom

might of been a waste of cash that, I just use a small button compass and use that, when near the balance the needle will move in time with it, showing a magnetised balance, if that's the case on with the demagnetiser, as said before hold the watch over it push your button then slow, y lift away, should not be more than a pro 5 secs each run ok

The mag app was free. All the other apps cost moolah. It works pretty well too.

WarBoom

So it works pretty dang well.

Photo Jul 31 10 54 26 PM.png

ElvisFreak

wow....

this magnitization crap really makes this watch hobby less fun...

I mean really....

Nowadays, everything is with a magnet....its enough to make you scream or just give up the watch hobby

Here is a typical day for me (and many others):

I have to note that I am cursed as I am LEFT HANDED

I get out of bed for work

I put on a watch

I clean up my face with the electric shaver

I warm up a muffin in the microwave, push the buttons and insert my hand inside to take the muffin out (with left hand)

I get in car and get to work (school teacher)

I spend a few hours on the computer (marks, printing out work sheets,etc)

Stand besides the photocopier a few times a day

I use an electric sharpener many times during my work hours for pencils

I put on some background music in the classroom and the speakers are near my desk (not too close,really)

I end the work day

I go home and start my second job (cartoonist)

I sharpen many pencils (colour, graphite,etc) all night long while the watch is still on the wrist

I have a laptop in front of me, on my work table and I cruise the forums (Repgeek and Google,etc)

Is that enough exposing the damn watch or what?

And I am not an electrician!!!

Edited by ElvisFreak

WarBoom

Yea I finally figured out the most likely cause of my magnenitism. I installed a new compass on my boat. Hahaha

Monkey_Business

I did not care to read all the replies.

Do you have an induction-heat oven at home?

These kill mechanical watches that does not have magnetic protection.

NFleischer

Maybe it's simply magnetized. Magnets causes this problems to the watches. If you find someone to try to demagnetize it and then it goes back to normality: that's it.

Otherwise you may need to make the movement to be serviced. Surely it's not a terrible problem.

Usually when a watch is magnetized it can run very (minutes- hours) fast. This may just need regulation.

There's a free phone app- LEPSI- to tell if it is magnetized.

ElvisFreak

just bought one of those on Amazon....

they sucked me into their free trial of Prime....

used it to get free overnight shipping....

but i got real nervous and cancelled the "Prime" thing minutes after the purchase...

i hope they dont charge $80 to my CC

and I hope this gizmo works cause my Deepsea gains almost 50 seconds a day! if not more....yikes

Diver Dave

Watches that "change" rates aren't "generally" magnetized. Often there's a small Chinese pubic hair on the hairspring (which is why it's named that) ;-)

Seriously, changing rates usually means a bit of debris on the hairspring is changing the frequency of the watch slightly, and as it moves around the watch is changing constantly. if it's not magnetized, check this as well.