Sign in to follow this  
Malakei

Wedding Present List

Malakei

Hey guys, have the fiance convinced with all the dough I had to drop on a ring that she should reciprocate with a watch [please start the trend lol] and she's growing weary at the sight of 5k+ watches that are on my list. I may end up telling her to just fund me a few quality reps instead so I thought I'd start here and see what everyone's thoughts were. I have a few favourites i'd love to own but not sure there is a reliable and accurate rep out there so i'll throw out my list and see what people say they've seen in the way of good reps or frankens.

List:

Omega Moonwatch

IWC Top Gun

Montblanc Timewalker [chrono or non chrono]

PAM 253 Regatta Flyback

Rolex Submariner

Omega Seamaster 300

Bell & Ross Aviation Type

Bell & Ross Military Type

Cartier Tank or Santos

Zenith El Primero

Any A Lange and Sohne

Glashutte Original Panomatic

As you might notice from the list I tend to like the more uncommon or special edition watches which makes it hard to find accurate replicas. If I go the replica route i'd be looking for 2 or 3 watches. A daily, a dress and a chrono/sport or show piece.

Chiquita Fanjita

Not a WTB. Moved to General Discussion.

fatarms

Expecting reciprocation is no way to start a marriage :lol:

greg_r

Expecting reciprocation is no way to start a marriage :lol:

Especially as she'll get it all back during the divorce :lol:

Left Coast Guy

I'd advice against it friend......I mean what happens if one breaks or has an issue out of the box? Its not a huge issue, but I can envision the MRS getting upset about it or feeling bad. Or what happens if you jump all in to the hobby and end up with another 2 dozen reps? Now that "special" gift she got you just doesn't look so special anymore. Or go forbid you trade one away on the M2M boards?

See what I'm saying. These are cool little trinkets....but their just that....trinkets.

GoW13

A Wedding gift should be something Special, which (for me) is not a rep... If you are going to ask your future wife not to spent the Money on just one watch, why not buy 2 or 3 gens?

I´d go for gen speedy and a gen Nomos. Since you are going to ask her for a rep, I guess used gens are ok, too? If so, there would be a 3rd gen possible ;)

deju

Most women now get an engagement watch for their partner.

My little brothers getting a new Batman .... not jealous at all {<_<}

black263

I've seen who has the best Sub, who has the best Omega, etc. First time I've seen a list of 12.

Seriously, don't go down the multi-rep route as a wedding present. Get a reasonable gen. Longines do some cracking watches for not a huge amount, or look at one of the better Seikos, and so on. If they do go wrong, at least you have a decent warranty.

"I bought my wife an expensive engagement ring, and all I got was a few fake watches"

Griffo

I suggested this to my missus and she told me to fuck off (not her exact words - she said it much nicer)

elp

Seriously? Buy your own reps mate, and if she wants to buy you something then get a nice mid-level gen as others have suggested.

Griffo
Seriously? Buy your own reps mate, and if she wants to buy you something then get a nice mid-level gen as others have suggested.

Sounds like she probably doesn't want to, or would have!

RepGuy

It can be confusing and downright stressful to buy a single rep when new... let alone multiples at once. Do you really want your soon to be wife staying up late (China is a 12 hour difference to many) to email a Chinese man in broken english about this? Follow this up with her sending potentially a large sum of money to a stranger and then hoping there are no customs/quality/other issues. If she really wants to buy you a rep she would also need to be familiar with the QC process to ensure you didn't receive a damaged watch, and even then there are DOA issues sometimes.

I would say it is much more reasonable to purchase a gen, no matter what the budget is, as there are many good gens to be had.

trailboss99

You "may end up telling her to just fund me a few quality reps instead"? Tell her? Oh my son you have a steep learning curve ahead!Even ignoring the tone of that statement would you really want reps as a wedding gift from your wife? Jesus man, pick a nice affordable dress watch in her price bracket and get that! At least it has substance. For under a grand she can buy a nice Chris Ward or Frederique Constant. FC have fine autos starting from under a grand and are of a quality one would expect to see in the hands of one's grandchildren.

But honestly mate, fake watches as a wedding gift instead of a ring? :facepalm:

​PS: are you really sure you understand what marriage is and what it means?

Not Quite Dead

You "may end up telling her to just fund me a few quality reps instead"? Tell her? Oh my son you have a steep learning curve ahead!Even ignoring the tone of that statement would you really want reps as a wedding gift from your wife? Jesus man, pick a nice affordable dress watch in her price bracket and get that! At least it has substance. For under a grand she can buy a nice Chris Ward or Frederique Constant. FC have fine autos starting from under a grand and are of a quality one would expect to see in the hands of one's grandchildren.

But honestly mate, fake watches as a wedding gift instead of a ring? :facepalm:

​PS: are you really sure you understand what marriage is and what it means?

++++

from someone married 35 years and still ducking

tomtom1988

As others said, If I ever get married then my missus would not be asked to buy me a rep, pick one watch from your list and go for that, or give her the list and let her choose, it's a wedding gift afterall, kind of get what you're given mate in that instance

BadPickle

I can see CSA payments on the horizon :giggle:

Monkey_Business

I'll be completely honest with you mate.

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

And this?

I may end up telling her to just fund me a few quality reps instead

You buy her an engagement ring, and you want her to - Let's break this down - Transfer money to your bank account. Money that you will spend on two-three replicated, copyright infringing wristwatches of let's be honest, poor quality?

Buy yourself a matching ring, and give her a kiss on the cheek. This is no way to start a life-long companionship.

all the dough I had to drop on a ring

You're typing like it's forced upon you. This should be one of the happiest purchases in your life mate..

Nickfive

I did the same last year, but I didn't (daren't) ask for it :lol: she offered!

I ended up with a Longines Master L2.648.4.78.3

Congrats on getting engaged btw!