Sign in to follow this  
NDJ

My new Helenarou 6538 Big Crown Submariner

NDJ

I just received my Helenarou 6538, which according to my research is considered to be the best 'out-of-the-box' 6538 replica. Actually it's more homage than replica as its design brief was to be a modern interpretation of the 6538, ie. slightly bigger and with domed sapphire crystal. Kind of a 'poor man's' MkII Kingston.

Here it is as it came out the packaging:

20170727_134209.jpg

20170727_134709.jpg

I am very happy with it except for two marks on the dial.

1. A white line under the '660ft' print:

20170728_100049-rs.jpg

2. A bit of dust in the 'O' of 'Rolex'

20170728_100749-rs.jpg

These blemishes spoil what is otherwise a beautiful watch with a very nice gold 'faux gilt' dial.

What do you fellow 'WIS' suggest for a solution?

Ask Helenarou to for a replacement dial and get it fitted by a watchmaker? Or send it back to Helenarou to get fixed? (A stressful option because of the ever present possibility of it being lost in the mail or seized by Customs)

Or, do I just live with the flaws?

Ordinarily I would accept such flaws in a $200-$300 rep, but I don't feel it is an acceptable lack of Quality Control for a $600 watch.

I have contacted Helenarou and am waiting for a response but any suggestions are very welcome.

edwinowl

These are lovely, had one and would have another.

Send it to rollie if you're in UK, may just be dust or ask for new dial only and let rollie change it out, simple job.

NDJ

These are lovely, had one and would have another.

Send it to rollie if you're in UK, may just be dust or ask for new dial only and let rollie change it out, simple job.

I'm in Australia. My local watchmaker is a pretty good guy and knows his stuff but has proven very reluctant to my work on replicas. His attitude is that they are unpredictable and therefore hard to quote. For example he says sometimes hands are glued on and this makes routine work difficult to do.

edwinowl

These are an easy watch to work on. Sellita movement if I recall.

It's a 2 min job for him.

HR will prob send you a dial if you ask him. Get your watch guy to change it. Really easy. These are well made watches.

NDJ
On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 14:04, edwinowl said:

These are an easy watch to work on. Sellita movement if I recall.

It's a 2 min job for him.

HR will prob send you a dial if you ask him. Get your watch guy to change it. Really easy. These are well made watches.

That's very reassuring to know. Like many WIS, I am a bit OCD and worry probably more than I should!

I opted for the Seagull movement (an ETA clone) so that I know what I am getting.

It appears to be running very well; since I got it yesterday it has only lost about 1.5 sec and a lot of that time I wasn't wearing it.

Helenarou also offered an ETA in standard and Elabore versions and a Sellita - at extra cost.

Here it is compared to a cheap (Sillix?) 6538 replica:

20170728_141912.jpg

edwinowl

Shoot HR a message and show him the pic. To be fair one mark does appear paint which is not acceptable

Ask him if he'll send you a dial and I'm sure your watch guy can sort it from there.

Like I say these aren't a cheapie, worked on mine and they're quality.

NDJ
On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 14:48, edwinowl said:

Shoot HR a message and show him the pic. To be fair one mark does appear paint which is not acceptable

Ask him if he'll send you a dial and I'm sure your watch guy can sort it from there.

HR has got back to me and offered to send me another dial. If I can get that fitted without breaking the bank I'll be totally satisfied with the watch. It really is a beautiful piece.

Here it is on the rivet bracelet that came with my Sillix version of the 6538:

20170728_163019.jpgimage hosting gif

k4jun

Have no idea does the rivet bracelet makes it period correct but I like how it looks!

Do you mind sharing the cost?

wdev

Very nice watch and I like that rivet bracelet. Are you going to mod the crown or leave it as is?

NCRich

Don't touch the crown. Its better than an athaya. You can easily sell that dial once you replace it for $50 plus shipping, heck I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

That is a very nice watch.

splke

Don't touch the crown. Its better than an athaya. You can easily sell that dial once you replace it for $50 plus shipping, heck I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Excellent advice and agreed it is a stunning piece

NDJ

Have no idea does the rivet bracelet makes it period correct but I like how it looks!

Do you mind sharing the cost?

I believe a rivet bracelet is correct for vintage 50-60s Rolexes. It was the only spare Rolex bracelet I had so it was this, or a strap!

The cost of the Helenarou depends on what movement you choose and whether you go for sterile, Rolex branded (or custom) printing. The prices are on their website. When I emailed HR he also also offered a Seagull ETA clone (which I chose) for about a $120 less than the standard ETA.

If you are referring to the bracelet cost, mine came as part of a cheap 6538 (Sillix?) for US$228 from Perfect Clones.

HR offers a rivet bracelet for $129.95 or, if you buy with the watch, for $89.95.

Very nice watch and I like that rivet bracelet. Are you going to mod the crown or leave it as is?

I'm very happy with the crown. The 'Brevet' engraving is very crisp and clear and I believe the standoff distance from the case is in keeping with the original .

Noted! I'll be sure to drop you a line when I get the replacement. The $50 will go toward my watchmaker's fee to fit the dial.

edwinowl

HR has got back to me and offered to send me another dial. If I can get that fitted without breaking the bank I'll be totally satisfied with the watch. It really is a beautiful piece.

Here it is on the rivet bracelet that came with my Sillix version of the 6538:

20170728_163019.jpg

Result that. Excellent.

Haltec

Better than Athaya???

Few HR Crown photos, please.

Emphasise on BREVET inscription.

Thnx

NDJ
On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:13, Haltec said:

Better than Athaya???

Few HR Crown photos, please.

Emphasise on BREVET inscription.

Thnx

20170728_214317.jpg

NDJ

Update:

HR sent me a replacement dial and I took it to my watchmaker. As it happens blemishes on the original dial were able to be cleaned off easily and I didn't need the new dial so I sent it back to HR.

Once again, I have to say I am very pleased with HR's service.

I also took advantage of the opportunity to order a Bond bezel which my watchmaker fitted. Despite initially preferring and ordering the red triangle bezel version, I now think the Bond version has the simpler and cleaner look. (Sorry for the quick and dirty phone pic.)

20170906_123944.jpg

splke

could do with light aging and maybe lose the pearl ?

but looks pretty sharp bud :thumbsup2:

NDJ

If it wasn't the most expensive rep I own by quite a margin I might consider it but I prefer to keep it new looking. It's more homage than a 1:1 copy of the 6538 anyway; a bit like the MkII kingston but probably more like a poor man's Tempus Machina.

8 hours ago, splke said:

could do with light aging and maybe lose the pearl ?

but looks pretty sharp bud :thumbsup2: