jm23

High Quality Rolex Rep vs Steinhart Ocean 1

jm23

Hi all,

My first post on this forum so take it easy on me :giggle:

Just wanted some of your thoughts on a very high-end Rolex rep like a BK Submariner vs a Steinhart Ocean 1. This may be apples and oranges but I've been really eyeing the Steinhart Ocean 1 but wondering if I should just go for BK's Submariner. Both have Swiss ETA movements and Steinhart obviously takes it design cues from Rolex.

Thank and appreciate your thoughts.

964boy

Steinhart, great value product

RepGuy

Comparing gens to reps is tough. Different manufacturing processes are used as well as most else, making a comparison hard. I would say the gen would be higher quality

Del

Question is, do you want "ROLEX" on the dial? It's why most people buy them, rep or gen.

If not then buy the Steinhart IMO.

:)

WatchDog21

Steinhart all the way!

deju

Steinhart is a seriously impressive watch for the money, I'd get that or a rep if I had to choose one

goodjack

Depends on what you want from the watch.

If you're looking for quality and dependability, Steinhart hands down.

mike_morgan

Think of it this way...

A rep Rolex, no matter how good, is kind of like a halloween costume, and a Steinhart is more like real clothing.

A guy wearing a Tuxedo Halloween Costume would feel pretty foolish at a black tie affair, but it can be fun for a gag amongst friends.

Mr_B

I think you should buy both, if you brought one you would probably still want the other for different reasons, if you brought the SO1 you'd still be hankering for the Rolex because of the name, likewise if you brought the rolex you'd want the So1 for the 'real' factor

By-Tor

Difficult to say. I would guess the best built reps can be just as good as Steinharts (if you're lucky). I have no idea what kind of QC Steinhart has but reps have usually ZERO. I've had some reps that were shit and some that were pretty damn good watches that have outlived my gens (without service).

"Quality" is difficult to measure unless you're a watchmith. Of course you see some obvious problems easily, esp. in the macro pics.

There's the old saying about genuine Rolex. Old man was praising how his Rolex has never lost a minute in the last 40 years. Guess what... neither has my TImex. :D I mean really... I have one that I got when I was five years old. Hand wind watch and it's running like a champ.

Worst watches that I ever had were Invictas and Alphas. You know... those "homage" pieces. Alphas were fun though... they cost what... $50 back in the day. I bought them to my dear enemies. :D

markeym3

if you are like me then I reckon if you buy the Steinhart you will still end up buying the Rolex rep and visa versa ... go on have both

NDJ

I would buy a Steinhart but for the fact that they are just too big at 42mm. What a shame.

lipbos

Haven't owned a rep yet which matches the quality of any of my Steinys.

Stratoblaster

I have an Ocean One Ceramic and love it. Super accurate.
I do however, like the feel of my Noob V7 too....

This 39mm with tapered bracelet has really caught my eye. (At least the black with better Lume has)
https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch/ocean-one-39-schwarz.html

Edited by Stratoblaster
Forgot to add link

k3rm87

I have also had the same issue with my next purchase, the fact that reps are creeping up into low-end gen territory has forced me to consider these micro brands as potential purchasing options. 

Have been tossing up between getting the V7, (can't live with the current platinum paint), and the Steinhart Ocean one Green. I am leaning toward the Steinhart but the pimple at 12 and the lack of tapering bracelet does my head in. Squale is next on the list, but I am unsure if the price difference between that and the Steinhart is justified? 

I just love 5 digit subs!

LightGeek

Ocean 1.

If you haven't had a Rolex sub rep yet, get a last version Noob or BP or whatever to get a feel for it. I've gotten the ceramic sub including BKs 5 times now and the 16610 including TCs 4 times. All sold because it's such a boring watch for me... and I never learn.

mr.tourette

Rolex brand means nowt to me...only watch of theirs i really like is the DSSD blue and i may stump up for that if a nice one rocks up m2m....bought a Steihart ocean one gmt pepsi tho and I love it ...you can guess my opinion on which you should buy 

tonyh7

Steinhart watches are good quality and run genuine Swiss movements. Quality with reps, while usually pretty good, isn't quite so certain.  If things go wrong, then there is a huge difference. Steinhart have good after sales and warranties, and will sort out your problem, including covering shipment costs. If a rep goes wrong then things are a lot less certain and it can be a complete pain sorting it out. 

ciidlag

Well... I got both BK black sub-C on the way as well as the ocean 1 premium blue coming.  I can do a comparison post later on when I've got them. :)