Sign in to follow this  
G100TT

How much time do you take?

G100TT

On this and other forums and as a newbie wonder how much time and research someone takes before placing an order with a TD?

I have read all the sticky's (which it seems some people don't and just 'dive in' then complain) and have also looked at many member reviews, and dealer sites to get an idea of what is good and bad.

Would members say that this is enough to make an initial order or basically how long should I take before dipping my toe in so to speak?

I have an idea of a couple of reps I would like but chosen dealer doesn't have them on his site but I understand that doesn't mean they cant source it (See I have read sticky's!!)

Just interested in others opinions.

ciidlag

In my opinion, you are all set on pulling the trigger. :) Now regarding to the models you want, you can always email your chosen TD and ask him/her if they can get hold of it somehow or offer you something similiar.

naijishi

The TD's have access to virtually all the same watches, if you send a picture of the rep you want to a TD they will more often than not be able to supply it. The beauty of this form is that alot of the work is done for you in relation to having to research the supplier and with what to expect when ordering a rep. If you have decided which one you want and are happy to proceed then there is no reason not to order. Aslong as it is a TD from the list you have a measure of protection if anything goes wrong

What is the reason for your hesitation in ordering?

Left Coast Guy

I'm a little confused.....not used to people actually reading!

The main reason for the reading is to set your expectations -- most of the issues that come up happen when people don't understand the transaction process, don't understand what they're getting (quality, performance wise) and don't understand the things that can go wrong. Once you have a solid handle of that stuff, you're totally good to pull the trigger.....and really, at some point you just need to take the plunge.

Just my two cents, for your first few reps, I'd avoid the 7750s, 2813/21j, and Rolex clone (3135) mov'ts and stick with the Asian clone 2824/2836 models. They are just the best mix of performance, quality and price, without a lot of risk. I don't like folks getting 2813/21J for their first reps, because they're not a great representation of the hobby.....some are good, but some aren't and I think it colors your view of the hobby negatively if that's your first taste. Get to the good stuff early, so you see how good the quality really is.

Daffy

Keep in mind that your tastes may change after your initial forays into the hobby. At first, I *needed* a Rolex, and didn't get why people liked Panerai. They "all looked the same" to me.

My blue ceramic sub came in, and I wore it for a couple of weeks before I realized that it wasn't doing it for me. Over the course of time, I bought a few different models, a DSSD, a Bamford, and a few others.

After being on this (and next door x3) forum for a while, I started giving the PAM's a good look (I also bought a few Omega, BlancPain, Breitling, and other assorted). I figured out that the Rollie offerings were a little too small for my 8 1/2" wrist. I also found that I preferred the 6497 manual wind movements over the automatics. They just felt more robust, somehow.

Who knows what the future holds... Will my tastes shift again?

TLDR: Buy some stuff to see what you actually like on your wrist.

MAJ75

I'm a little confused.....not used to people actually reading!

The main reason for the reading is to set your expectations -- most of the issues that come up happen when people don't understand the transaction process, don't understand what they're getting (quality, performance wise) and don't understand the things that can go wrong. Once you have a solid handle of that stuff, you're totally good to pull the trigger.....and really, at some point you just need to take the plunge.

Just my two cents, for your first few reps, I'd avoid the 7750s, 2813/21j, and Rolex clone (3135) mov'ts and stick with the Asian clone 2824/2836 models. They are just the best mix of performance, quality and price, without a lot of risk. I don't like folks getting 2813/21J for their first reps, because they're not a great representation of the hobby.....some are good, but some aren't and I think it colors your view of the hobby negatively if that's your first taste. Get to the good stuff early, so you see how good the quality really is.

Really sound advice here.............

I did loads of reading at the start & ended up ordering a V2/V6 ND Sub from Toro that truly wetted my apetite at the time..............

TBH I am still blown away by that watch & I remain impressed at the general quality of the $300-500 OTB pieces.

G100TT
Keep in mind that your tastes may change after your initial forays into the hobby. At first, I *needed* a Rolex, and didn't get why people liked Panerai. They "all looked the same" to me.

TLDR: Buy some stuff to see what you actually like on your wrist.

Thanks to all for the advice. I have a couple of Rollies one genuine and one rep from days past so actually am looking for something different. This is why I also like the wrist check section as it's so good to see watches other than Rollies and get a feel for what the rep looks like. I appreciate that some of these may be Frankens but nonetheless good to get a handle on what's out there rather than just looking at dealer web sites.

This is something I want to get into more so will keep looking, keep reading and soon pull that trigger!

onionbag

Almost 3 years for me. I footered about for many years until I bought a watch.

Diver Dave

About five minutes...

I have two TD's that I like and trust, and I split my business between them.

This isn't rocket science, just a fairly cheap hobby. Don't take it too seriously.

OldOrleans

I would also suggest that you send a private message to people who made a review of a watch(that you want), that it was long ago as they may not see your question. Most users reply within a day and are very helpful.