SuperbMonster

Power reserve. Issue diagnosis.

SuperbMonster

One of my PAMs has low power reserve so Ive done a bit of research and "think" if maybe the main spring slipping. As I'm not confident enough yet to disassemble and check, is there any other tells (e.g. audible or crown feel when winding) that look out for?

Nikosaldente

If it's a hand wound movement and it's a main spring slipping problem, when you wind it, it could never be fully wound....

You will never feel the resistance of the fully charged main spring, so the crown can't turn any more!

It would feel like when you try to wind an automatic watch...

I hope what I said makes any sense!

Left Coast Guy

Might help to share what kind of mov't is inside.

And note, if its a closed caseback with a 6497, its probably going to be easier to replace the mov't than to repair. I haven't checked in a while, but I think a new 6497 runs something like $40-50. If its an open caseback, the bummer is that the mov't decoration plates likely have to be removed to repair....and since they're glued on, its pretty tough to get them off withour destroying them.

SuperbMonster

Sorry I should of added it's an auto. It's a seagull if that makes any difference. It charges fine by the rotor, e.g. keeps power if I wear it.

SuperbMonster

Crown winding isn't as smooth as my other autos. Although I haven't tested exactly, 30 - 40 winds gives < 15 hours if left to run down.

BadPickle

It's like saying my VW car isn't running properly but not telling us which one it is? Petrol diesel or hybrid or electric.... are we supposed to just guess for a prize?

Best advice is to let someone who knows shit take a look, maybe you've just left the handbrake on :ohwell:

SuperbMonster
It's like saying my VW car isn't running properly but not telling us which one it is? Petrol diesel or hybrid or electric.... are we supposed to just guess for a prize?

Best advice is to let someone who knows shit take a look, maybe you've just left the handbrake on :ohwell:

You're right, I should have offered a prize :)

As per dealers description its a ST2555 decorated to P9010.

Yep I don't know shit, but there's only one way to learn... At this stage all I want to ascertain is if my main thought was a possibility and if so are there any other steps I could take to be more certain.