Abe Fromen

Opinions welcomed... getting the PAM itch again

Abe Fromen

So I haven't had a Panerai in over a year... I've had many gen and rep PAMs over the years such as 05, 111, 01, 210, 243, 194, 112, 127, 113...

I've been considering a panny but can't decide which one. I don't want both (yet) but I have narrowed it down to two:

The 380 Radiomir and the 682.

The Rad is 45mm, which is fine, can be dressed up and down with different straps, is fully polished and has a solid caseback (which I quite prefer).

The 682 is a Sub, and while I had a 243 and loved it dearly... I found at 44mm it was too bulky for practical use - and I got that one cuz while I LOVED the 194, at 47mm and THICK it was too big, so I downsized to the 243. So I'm wondering if it being 42mm would work better.

My reps are a SD4000 (pretty much my daily), an IWC MKXVII, a blue dialed Yachtmaster and my vintage blue Tudor 94010 to give you an idea of what I have... although I may move the YM but I'm not yet convinced as I do enjoy it a great deal.

Anyways... anyone have experience with either of these two watches?

TIA

Edited by Abe Fromen

Left Coast Guy

I have a 380 and its kind of a bland looking watch. At times I like that, because its somewhat unassuming looking, but its not one I would miss if it disappeared from my collections.

I think part of the problem is that I've not found a strap that looks right with watch, and really does it justice. I thought a black leather strap would work, so put it on a black Mario Paci.....but still not doing it for me. Its just a sort of weird color combo to find an attractive strap.

Abe Fromen

I have a 380 and its kind of a bland looking watch. At times I like that, because its somewhat unassuming looking, but its not one I would miss if it disappeared from my collections.

I think part of the problem is that I've not found a strap that looks right with watch, and really does it justice. I thought a black leather strap would work, so put it on a black Mario Paci.....but still not doing it for me. Its just a sort of weird color combo to find an attractive strap.

Thanks for the input. I find Rads look best on gator, unless you want to dress it down.

Piloten

Sounds like LCG might have a watch you could find on, say, M2M

Abe Fromen

Sounds like LCG might have a watch you could find on, say, M2M

LOL maybe!

kisomen

Personaly I don't like Panerais. They, in my opinion is too bulky. But if You love them, than they are your choiche. :)

I would also consider where I want to wesr them. And how it would look with other assessories, such as the marrieage ring, cufflinks...

mysterio

I have the PAM380. Pretty nice when you wear a suit (or in my case long sleeved shirts) or like LCG says, you want an understated look. The PAM682 is only 1mm thicker than the PAM380 but is 1.5mm thinner than the PAM243. I have not yet gotten the PAM682 yet so I can't say from personal experience but I would imagine the slightly smaller build would feel more comfortable on the wrist.

NCRich

You need shock therapy.

Abe Fromen
On 8/9/2017 at 5:13 PM, NCRich said:

You need shock therapy.

This is news to you? 

Daffy

I just picked up a 380 on RWI, inexpensively.  The build is good quality, great polish on the case, sapphire crystal, and that solid caseback is nice.  I'm rather pleased with it overall.  I think it's more versatile than a sub as to where and when you can wear it.

Abe Fromen
16 minutes ago, Daffy said:

I just picked up a 380 on RWI, inexpensively.  The build is good quality, great polish on the case, sapphire crystal, and that solid caseback is nice.  I'm rather pleased with it overall.  I think it's more versatile than a sub as to where and when you can wear it.

Thanks Daffy... I think I'm going to go for a 380. I know how Rads fit and I love the solid caseback and full polish. Enjoy yours! 

Bash64

Definitely the 380.  Dress it up or down depending on the strap.  Looks fantastic casual or with a suit. I wear mine all the time.

Bonus:  Easy to read without glasses.

black263

Sadly, for me, the 380 doesn't reach first base, as the colonials say.  I need a date on any watch I wear.

Daffy

If you don't mind black cases, I would also suggest the 292.  Ceramic case and crown, sapphire crystal...  I've ended up with 2 of them in as many months.  One has the pig dial, and the other is without.

2264046_xxl.jpg

6392949f.jpg

Daffy

Here are some shots of the 380 that came in.

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

Kleen™

Pams? You just need one, really: Anyone you prefer initially will do. I do have several, tho'...just don't ask me why, as I have absolutely no sensible answer at hand, other than it seemed like a really good idea at time of acquisition...;)

Edited by Kleen™

Abe Fromen

THanks for the pix Daffy... really for me I dislike black watch cases of any kind. But that 380... is yummy. :)

Looks like I'll pick one up once one of my three watches listed here sells. 

I'm also picking up a gen in short order as well (not panerai). 

Abe Fromen

It is indeed an 88. I know a few who have the gen of that one. Very cool watch. 

black263
On 25/08/2017 at 19:27, Inkoumori said:

Saw one recently on the Pam thread;

36291597436_94454c13bc_b.jpg

Says it's an 88? From Andrew. Here's the page it's on, I'm thinking of getting one after a decade of no Pams! http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/91412-post-your-panerai-pics-here/&page=36

It's a very pretty watch, apart from that sub-dial which just looks so wrong to me.  Fortunately, they corrected it with the Ghost.

pam4_zps9942cf52.jpg