Sign in to follow this  
MassiveWatchNoob

The cost/value of reps

MassiveWatchNoob

I ofcourse understand fully that a 300 dollar rep will not be the same quality as the real watch costing 25k. However, for 300 you should be able to get a good watch right? The one I´m looking at has a good movement etc.. So not speaking in terms of cost relevant to the costs of a genuine watch, but purerely of the rep itselve. Will a 300 dollar rep be about the same quality as a 300 dollar genuine watch of a good brand like Seiko for example. Or will it be worth less quality wise because it was made in China, in a sketchy factory and because its illegal? I allready think the second approach will be true but I´m curious..

kind regards

Mr_B

The biggest issue is Quality Control, reps have hardly any & just have to pass the 'good enough' test, they churn them out with little or no care for tiny detail. Reputable brands on the other hand are the opposite, the watches have to be bang on before they leave the factory for the shops.

Also you don't find debris and Chinese pubes in most $300 gens. A $300 auto should be quite good, probably using a Seiko auto movement.

lilweazel

If these are your main concerns you might be better off jumping on a Gen Seiko, Tissot maybe even Glycine if you want Swiss.

NCRich

Or an Invicta......I'd suggest a Disney themed one. Nice hacking Seiko movement.

soundman_roo

it's hard to compare a $300 dollar rep to a $300 gen.... I'm my experience the have probably all been better than gens of the same cost. But where the difference lies is in quality control and consistency.

Every $300 seiko or citzen etc. will be checked to a standard and if it doesn't cut it, it doesn't leave the factory. In the rep game, this isn't the case, one watch will be great, and the next may have flaws that you or i may find unacceptable. That's where a good TD and attention to QC pics come in... With the right TD you should be getting something decent as he/she is kinda doing the quality checks for you.

It is hit or miss but i believe that in the right circumstances a $300 rep can feel like its worth loads more!

Mr_B
it's hard to compare a $300 dollar rep to a $300 gen.... I'm my experience the have probably all been better than gens of the same cost. But where the difference lies is in quality control and consistency.

Every $300 seiko or citzen etc. will be checked to a standard and if it doesn't cut it, it doesn't leave the factory. In the rep game, this isn't the case, one watch will be great, and the next may have flaws that you or i may find unacceptable. That's where a good TD and attention to QC pics come in... With the right TD you should be getting something decent as he/she is kinda doing the quality checks for you.

It is hit or miss but i believe that in the right circumstances a $300 rep can feel like its worth loads more!

Don't forget the pubes

MassiveWatchNoob

I guess they are my main concerns, looking at the pictures it looks a lot like the one its supposed to replicate, and even if in real life its a little bit off i wouldnt care at all. I´m just concerned about it not working, or working badly... Since sending it back would be so expensive for me.. The watch I want has a: Japanese Miyota 9015 Automatic Movement, 24J, 28800b

thinking about it now im suddenly also scared for chinese pubes.

Edited by MassiveWatchNoob

soundman_roo

Don't forget the pubes

Oh yeah, and you get pubes in reps! (Although sadly, maybe, i've never found any in any of mine)

Probably worth adding that a good service goes a long way to making a rep as reliable as a gen, especially with certain movements. My V6F Carrera 1887 with A7750, and higher quality after market strap looks and feels expensive, and having had it serviced it should keep ticking for ages. People cannot believe its a rep when shown!

MassiveWatchNoob

BTW I´m going through a TD so ill e-mail him and ask him to really check for me if it works correctly but i´ve done my research and I think i found a good one. Can´t know for sure ofcourse..

lilweazel
I guess they are my main concerns, looking at the pictures it looks a lot like the one its supposed to replicate, and even if in real life its a little bit off i wouldnt care at all. I´m just concerned about it not working, or working badly... Since sending it back would be so expensive for me.. The watch I want has a: Japanese Miyota 9015 Automatic Movement, 24J, 28800b

thinking about it now im suddenly also scared for chinese pubes.

If your main concern is having [insert brand name here] on your wrist get a rep.

If quality is your main concern which is seems to be, get a gen. Great looking $300 gens out there. I'm wearing a $300 Tissot Visodate right now and I love it just as much as my $2k gens. I have a watch box full of reps 80% of them are trouble free. The rest have some issues but nothing that would cause me to regret getting them.

RepGuy

Quality can be an issue, but the Trusted Dealers act as a buffer to getting a dud

kisomen

If You are worried about the movement itself, as soon as You get the watch, take it to a watchsmith, for cleaning and lubricating the movement. The older the smith the better. :) They used to start to work on mechanical movements.

Mr_B
If You are worried about the movement itself, as soon as You get the watch, take it to a watchsmith, for cleaning and lubricating the movement. The older the smith the better. :) They used to start to work on mechanical movements.

1ac4d2ec3f67e74089c155d67ad51bf66404a8fa48f962087ffae333f8069a5d.jpg

Genius

You xan get lucky for a $300 rep that's better than any gen you can get under a grand you can also be very unlucky and get one made on a Friday afternoon that has fallen to pieces in transit before you open up the yellow taped box

RepGuy

1ac4d2ec3f67e74089c155d67ad51bf66404a8fa48f962087ffae333f8069a5d.jpg

You're paying for the pubes. The movement is just included

kisomen

Referring to You guys, whos cslling me pube. :) I live in Hungary. Here I know some old watchsmith, who repairs old mechanical watches. I wanted to try them out, so I went to one of tto service one of my worthless watch (Kronen und Schöne), a nice looking chinees crap. I paid 4000HUF for the cleaning and lubricating of the mechanic. For me it doesn't would be worth to send back to China the watch for repair. The post fee would cost more. :)

Mr_B
Referring to You guys, whos cslling me pube. :) I live in Hungary. Here I know some old watchsmith, who repairs old mechanical watches. I wanted to try them out, so I went to one of tto service one of my worthless watch (Kronen und Schöne), a nice looking chinees crap. I paid 4000HUF for the cleaning and lubricating of the mechanic. For me it doesn't would be worth to send back to China the watch for repair. The post fee would cost more. :)

No one is calling you pube, merely stating that there are pubes found in Chinese reps

kisomen

Oh, soory than guys, my english needs to be worked out. :)

As my writing as well... how I hate this tablet. Not to tthe moving train. :)

MassiveWatchNoob

I´ll go for the rep guys! It is a TD, looks nice and if it works well it will be more then worth. I really want this particular watch because it kind of looks like a fake patekphillipe used in a movie.

JSJ

Sometimes it takes patience. $350 or $3500 for this yellow SeaWolf. M2M or AD.

IMG_20170702_101627.jpg

There are 'tells' if you know what to look for but not when on the wrist. Keeps time to about 1 second a day.

It's been a fun journey of nearly 4 years for me to learn what I like and what I can find in the rep world.

I now have a collection of great watches which at gen prices would be of staggering cost. The Bronzo, the IWC Portugueses, the pilots and Big Pilots. All the Breitlings. The Rollies, the Omegas.

The ceramic BP hardly leaves my wrist at the moment but that will change. I don't know what to. One of the others. Might be the Bronzo or a SeaWolf (grey or yellow?)

Often the gen strap or bracelet costs more than the rep watch but it makes such a difference.

And it takes patience plus the willingness to write off cost of any individual purchase.

And patience to learn what is good and what is not. For each one of us, that is different.

I also enjoy my Seiko Orange Monster which cost less than most of my reps. It's not about the money.

This is a very slippery slope. Take care that you know what you are doing with starting in reps...