Sign in to follow this  
Gussmanca

Introduction and help wanted

Firstly, this forum is a gold find for someone who is wanting to explore the world of reps. And I thank you all for that.

A little about why I joined this forum. Simply put, I love the Audemar Piguet but I can't afford it. I'm pretty sure many of you can identify. Anyhow, this quickly came up as the go to spot for learning about and engaging with this hobby. With that said, I've been reading through some posts and a few things come up as relevant:

1) Help/knowledge is really easy to come by.

2) Watches are far more complex than they appear.

3) M2M is a great way to land a good watch.

4) I have to engage to get the M2M to open up.

So here we are, quality post number 1.

/End intro.

I've come across the watch that brought me here. It's a rose gold AP 15400. Ive found 3 versions, and I'm hoping a couple of you can shed some light on the more nuanced pros/cons of each option:

1- Bargain buy

http://www.silix-prime.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_229&products_id=2512

21J movement which I've come to understand can't be fully trusted in terms of consistency as far as quality goes. Also the orange writing really could become an eye sore. How much quality can one expect to get from a rep in this price range?

2- Middle Ground

http://www.ttw-1388.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=241_246&products_id=13381

The TD told me this is the TF. Am I correct in assuming that the JF is closer to the Gen version?

3- The JF

http://www.ttw-1388.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=241_246&products_id=14225

Apparently the JF has accomplished the screws better and has a more sophisticated movement. Are these the only key differences? Are these differences worth it to a genuine newbie?

Also, a bonus question. I keep coming across posts talking about "decorated" reps. What exactly does that mean?

Thanks in advance.

fatarms   

Big difference between the last two is a Miyota movement vs the 2824-2 movement. If you can afford it, go for the 2824-2 movement version.

Decorated refers to the movement bridges and rotor to look more genuine. These movements are plain when they are produced. The rotors and bridges often have thin metal "stickers" with the markings of the genuine articles applied to them to look more genuine.

For example, look up a google image search for 2824-2 movement, then compare it to the movement in the last link you provided. You'll see the stickers and bridge decorations to make it look like an AP.

Thanks for the reply, the whole decorated thing makes sense now.

As for the movement, how big of a difference is it? I just found another model that's almost exactly like the middle link but for $278 which brings it squarely $100 or nearly 25% cheaper than the "best" model. Does the Miyota movement have a notcibly less smooth sweep?

fatarms   

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=6930

Check ^ out. It will explain the movements used in most replicas including the 2824 and Miyota 9015. Miyota movements are solid and have the same sweep as the 2824's but in my experience, the 2824 seemed to be more smooth with winding and that's why I suggested that one. Miyota movements are workhorses and work very well, if you see no difference between the two of them, and remember that no one will see it more than an arm's length away when you're wearing it, then go with the Miyota and put the $100 towards your next purchase. Trust me, you'll be back for more :lol:

This is exactly the type of post that the regulars here won't mind helping with. You have obviously done some research and have some follow up questions. Other's could do well to follow your example.

Btw for what it's worth, I completely agree with fatarms. I have a TF miyota which suits my needs/wants perfectly. The average person won't even know what an AP is let alone the size of the bezel screws... it is only people with our sickness that will notice (and they will likely be wearing a rep too).

Thanks again for the replies. 

I work in finance and soon I'll be in a banker/advisor role. Any experience with how well a TF miyota passes, sitting across the table from someone who might have at least seen a gen before? Also, anyone here work in finance? I'm the kind of guy who will gladly tell someone I'm wearing a rep but I wonder if something like that could cost me business in the future. 

And another question: I have read a couple posts which touched on getting your rep serviced after purchasing it. Well, my brother works at a pretty well known jeweler so I figure I can get it serviced reasonbly easily. The question is, what do I need to have done to it. I'd prefer to be telling him what to have his shop do rather than asking his shop what I should do. Any advice there would also be highly appreciated. 

Edited by Gussmanca

I have a TF Miyota 15400 which I wear all the time (around people who are well capable of purchasing the gen and also have nice watches), never been commented on or noticed... Not even once. Most sane people don't look at other people's wrists and ask them to remove their watch for inspection in my experience :D

ciidlag   
4 minutes ago, Foxindebox said:

I have a TF Miyota 15400 which I wear all the time (around people who are well capable of purchasing the gen and also have nice watches), never been commented on or noticed... Not even once. Most sane people don't look at other people's wrists and ask them to remove their watch for inspection in my experience :D

Probably the only ones that ask you to remove your watch from your wrists are the ones who are just about to rob you :flash::D 

9 minutes ago, ciidlag said:

Probably the only ones that ask you to remove your watch from your wrists are the ones who are just about to rob you :flash::D 

Exactly... :D

6 hours ago, ciidlag said:

Protip. 

6 hours ago, Foxindebox said:

Which one do you have? 

Also, how long does it take to unlock m2m? I'm dying to see if anyone selling the watch I want at a slightly lower price than the TDs. (Scratch that, I'm pretty sure this post just opened it up for me. Oh the irony.) 

Edited by Gussmanca

9 minutes ago, Gussmanca said:

Protip. 

Which one do you have? 

Also, how long does it take to unlock m2m? I'm dying to see if anyone selling the watch I want at a slightly lower price than the TDs. (Scratch that, I'm pretty sure this post just opened it up for me. Oh the irony.) 

Blue :)

Explorr   

I work in finance/bank, no customer/client ever asked, what you get is a grin or nodd, as long as you stick with the quality watches around here, the rest is just nitpicking of us members complain about subdial spacing on a speedy manual wind and such. 

Is waiting für M2M worth the dough?

Haven't had mine serviced after receiving. What I did was, opened it with a sticky ball to check if I got the right movement and if there is dirt anywhere. Then bathed the bracelet (of course steel) in WD40. And ready to wear it was.

Greets

GenTLe   

Actually this link is a mess: http://www.ttw-1388.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=241_246&products_id=14225

It says it's a ZF and has the 2824. I don't even think that ZF ever did a 15400.

Moreover that is a Miyota 9015 with JF decorations and it is visible from the last picture:

11lk9eg.jpg

Personally with so much confusion you could get whatever watch, so I'd go elsewhere.

Damn, @GenTLe, keen eye. See that's why I need you guys! Lol. Anyhow, I've made a slight change of direction. Thoughts on these links? Same order, cheapest to most "precise." But with this batch the cheapest one seems more worth giving it a shot. Like @Moondustesp said, could make sense to get the cheapie, see if I like the watch and maybe try selling it to a local friend or even in here to recoup, and the get the better one. Options and decisions. Again, any feedback is greatly appreciated. 

http://www.aootime678.com/Replica-AP-Men-Watch-Royal-Oak-15400-537-60869.html

https://www.intime01.co/audemars-piguet/2053-royal-oak-41mm-15400-rg-white-dial-on-brown-leather-strap-bp-maker-miyota9015.html

http://www.tb-688.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_49&product_id=1898

Seems the major difference between first and middle is the movement. Almost seems worth it for the noticably smoother sweep at $100. I watched some videos of the two movements and you can definitely tell. The middle and the third are harder for me to differentiate. I'd imagine from images I've seen so far, it's just the screws that are different and maybe the decorated movement but the movement itself is the same. Harder to justify the difference here. Anyone seen a TF and JF in person side by side to be able to comment on just how different they look/feel in your face? 

Edited by Gussmanca

GenTLe   

If you want the best go for this one: http://www.tb-688.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_49&product_id=1898 after that get the TF one if they still do it. Also the BP looks good (it is like the TF one): http://www.tb-688.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_49&product_id=1607

Consider also that the leather strap is crap, so you'll need to have a strap done for it and they are expensive (like at least 120$), and you'll need to send the rep strap to the strap maker. 

Personally, as the first rep, I'd go for this one with blue dial: http://www.tb-688.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_49&product_id=1823

Ironically, I think we are linking to the same watches. I like that BP. The middle link I posted is the same watch for $30 less, and at that price it feels like a great compromise. 

I hadn't considered the strap at all. Is the rep strap really that awful? Having to get a new one definitely sells the midrange option a bit more. Where can I find a gallery of straps that I might like to get? 

As much as that watch you've suggested is beautiful; I've seen some dazzling photos on this forum. I just haven't fallen in love the same way. This color scheme paired with the form factor gives the watch a brilliant balance of traditional elegance with that sleek modern appeal.