Sign in to follow this  
Portugieser

Need help with versions, makers and descriptions

Portugieser

Hello Forum, 

I've been lurking a lot in the forums and on some dealers sites. I already pulled the trigger on a Nomos Rep. I now want to  buy myself either an

"IWC 5007 Portugieser"  (http://www.pf-818.com/0-0-iwp7d00085-portugese-5007.html)

or an

"Omega Speedmaster - Dark Side of the Moon" (http://www.pf-818.com/omsp00068-speedmaster-darkside-of-the-moon-cer-ny-black-a-7750.html?___SID=U)

That is where I need your help.  There are hardly any reviews of those around. Does anybody already have one of those two reps or can link to  some reviews? 

There is no maker/factory on the different TD websites. Both watches are almost 400$ and no maker or special attributes are named. When I look at Rolex or Panerai there are dozens of lines about special attributes, manifacturing processes, color accuracy  or how the rep resembles the gen. With the abovementioned watches I get the feeling I don't have enough information or the price tag doesn't quite match the quality. I may be wrong, but I just don't have any sources to tell me otherwise. 

Can anybody give me any insight on  this ? Which factory is the best for a specific watch (i.e.  Noob V7 for Sub, etc.)

Thank you so much in advance!

mysterio

Honestly I cannot comment which factory is best for Omega and IWC watches but I bought a ZF IWC and it was awesome. The IWC in your link is from YLF factory (or YL factory?). The Omega DSOTM unfortunately is from an unknown factory.

Portugieser

Thank you very much for the immediate reply! 

How did you figure out, that it was a YL Factory? I could not find anything on the website... Did you own a 5007 model as well?

Wriggles

There is a thread here somewhere that goes through the different factories, why they're named the way they are and which watches they are renowned for. The search might not be working with the new site format but have a browse and you'll probably find it

Left Coast Guy

The factory and special attribute info is really just marketing jargon -- for the popular brands, or brands like Panerai where there are enthusiasts tracking and comparing every model, that sort of detail is requested, so the dealers produce it. For lesser known models, there isn't the same interest level.....so there isn't the same detail provided. 

Your best bet is to check the review sections for the brands and use the search bar. 

Portugieser

Thank you for all the help. 

I've alreday found those threads before. I looked into the different factories, but even the dealers won't tell me which factory the IWC is from. In the review section mostly Big Pilots are reviewed. There are some 5007 models reviewed, but those reviews are from a couple years back. I figured, that in all this time  new version/models  might have appeared. So the consensus is, that I just need to trust the dealer, that the 400$ are well spent?  It just feels, that when the desccriptions says in all red caps "Best Version 1:1 Fully dissected" it is closer to the gen,  than any watch with barely any description...

black263

This is the latest best version, just like all the other latest best versions out there.    And truly, absolutely 1:1, (apart from the differences, obviously.)  It's all marketing ploy.