JTK01

Misinformation in the pinned thread "Tips on how to do a Quality Check upon arrival"

JTK01

Wow....  Some of the tips in the "How to do a quality check " sticky are so wrong.

I'm a 2nd generation jeweler and i've seen and worked on a ton of watches.  I just wanted to share my experience/advice and correct some of the misleading info here, so people don't ruin their watches.

In my opinion, the worst tip was about opening the case back (and then looking in there, tightening stuff down, and greasing stuf).  So....

TIP #1.

This really only applies to automatic movements.  DO NOT OPEN UP THE WATCH.  Unless you really know what you're doing (which 99% of the people on this forum don't), you're just asking for trouble doing that.   Opening up the case back, is the easiest way to break your watch or ruin the movement.  Trust me, it doesn't take much to ruin a movement or throw off the timing.  I've ruined a few  movements with just a slip of a screw driver or touching the wrong thing.

A related comment to the first tip.  Please don't open the case back, but if you do decide to open up the case back.  Greasing the o-ring seal does not improve the water resistance.  The only thing grease does is help you tighten the case back  without dislodging the o-ring.  99% of the time you can re-tighten a case back without grease.   In my opinion, the o-ring grease is a waste of money and another super easy way to ruin your watch movement.  What are you going to do if you get some grease inside the movement?  If you're having trouble the with o-ring dislodging as you tighten the case back, get some super low viscosity silicone oil.  Put a drop of oil on your finger tip and then run your finger tip around the o-ring.  NEVER APPLY ANYTHING DIRECTLY TO THE CASE OR INSIDE THE WATCH. 

The other bad tip was about soaking the watch band in WD40. 

TIP#2

PLEASE DO NOT soak your watch in WD40.  The WD40 won't ruin your stainless steel bracelet, but do you really want WD40 on your brand new watch and on your skin?  In addition, the tip was to rinse the bracelet off with warm water after the WD40 soak.  If  you don't completely wash off the WD40, the WD40 will attract dust, dirt, and grime.  You'll end up with all kinds of gunk in the crevices of your bracelet. If your bracelet is stiff, the only real way to fix this is to wear it and break it in.  You could use some kind of lubricant, but remember what i said.  Using lubricant is a good way to attract sweat, dirt and grime to that area.  Remember guys, its a replica.  There will always be some quality control issues.   

If your watch band is dirty, the easiest way to clean it is to use some soap and water.  Remove the bracelet from the watch case.  Wash the bracelet with soap and water.  If you notice dirt in the crevices and grooves, you can use an old tooth brush to get into those hard to reach places.  Completely rinse off the soap.  Dry off your band and re-attach the band.  Wear it and enjoy.

In addition to the first two tips.

Here is the list of things i would suggest.

1.  Make sure everything works like its supposed to.  I.E.  does the chronograph work?  Does the watch keep time correctly?  Does the bezel turn?  etc, etc.

2.  Check the crown and stem.  Make sure it pulls out and pushes in smoothly.  Make sure the crown is flush with the case.  If the crown screws down, make sure it screws properly.

3.  Check the bracelet screws.  Make sure they are all tight.  DO NOT OVER TORQUE.  Its really easy to break of the heads on the screws and strip the threads.  If you find that some of the screws are not as tight as you like or some of the threads already seem to be stripped, get some Loctite thread sealer.

4.  Check the clasp, make sure it is functioning and it closes properly.  If the clasp seems at all off or askew (especially if its a deployment type clasp), make note of it and get it taken care of.  In my opinion, the clasp is the part  that is the most prone to breaking.  It is the part of the watch that you use the most.  The more complicated the clasp the more diligent you need to be about making sure its working properly.

I hope this helps.

Edited by JTK01

Genius

Some good points thanks for taking the time :thumbsup:

I only ever remove the caseback if something is broken 

trendconcept

Thank you for this valuable expert opinion. I belong to the 99% which should not open the watch.

I saw pictures of open watches and inside everything was full with body hair and other dirt. That is why Tip No. 1 was comprehensible for me, although I never opened my watches. But I could never understand Tip # 2. I mean, WD 40 is for my bike chain and the squeaky doors. Not for my Rolex. Whether it's fake or not.

A question about cleaning the bracelet: A jeweler told me, I should give my bracelet an ultrasonic bath every now and then. Because this creates a beautiful shine. He does it with engagement rings. 

Do you think the purchase of an ultrasonic cleaner is worth the money?

JTK01
8 minutes ago, trendconcept said:

Thank you for this valuable expert opinion. I belong to the 99% which should not open the watch.

I saw pictures of open watches and inside everything was full with body hair and other dirt. That is why Tip No. 1 was comprehensible for me, although I never opened my watches. But I could never understand Tip # 2. I mean, WD 40 is for my bike chain and the squeaky doors. Not for my Rolex. Whether it's fake or not.

A question about cleaning the bracelet: A jeweler told me, I should give my bracelet an ultrasound bath every now and then. Because this creates a beautiful shine. He does it with engagement rings. 

Do you think the purchase of an ultrasonic cleaner is worth the money?

Without seeing the pictures, i find it hard to believe a working watch movement was filled with dirt and body hair.  Those little hairs and dirt would restrict the movement and the watch just wouldn't work.  I doubt the authenticity of those pictures.  That's just me.

To answer your question, the ultrasonic cleaner doesn't do anything other than clean your watch band or jewelry.  It doesn't shine your jewelry or watch bands.  The reason it "shines" is because its clean. 

The benefit of the ultra sonic cleaner is that it can shake lose dirt and grime that you might not be able to get to with a brush or just a simple cleaning.  I mean if you're are super anal about a super clean watch band, then yeah,  an ultra sonic cleaner might be a good investment for you.  However, if you're bathing frequently and not playing with tar and dirt, your watch will never get dirty enough to really justify using an ultrasonic cleaner on it. 

You can get the same "shine" with wet wipes, paper towels, soap and water, etc etc. 

trendconcept

True words. Thanks for the clarification. So no ultrasonic cleaner. I work in the office and am a clean person. That must be enough  :giggle:

RUSH2112

I have no interest in opening the watch.  

Piloten

[youtube]

[/youtube]

Stuff and nonsense. Look how easy it is

JTK01
5 minutes ago, Piloten said:

Stuff and nonsense. Look how easy it is

He should've used flaxseed oil for the omega-3 benefits. 

Left Coast Guy

While I don't typically open the caseback unless there's a problem, I think its a touch hyperbolic to say (in all caps!) that one shouldn't open the caseback, unless they're prepared for grave consequences. One thing you will learn on this forum (and it seems you have some to learn) is that the mystique of the mechanical watch movement is lost here -- we've seen behind the wizard's curtain, and there's nothing there! You can source a pretty decent 2824 clone movement from ebay for $90, and while there is value to a delicate/deliberate hands, any competent tinkerer can work on said mov't provided the right tools. 

I'm a meat-pawed ogre of a man, and I've reset keyless works, swapped mov'ts, and more. I doubt the work would rate under a professionals grading, but my experience is that these mov'ts are significantly more hearty than you're suggesting here. 

Opening the caseback is really nothing, hell taking the movement holders out and removing the movement isn't much of a task.....you don't really start to get dicey until you take off the hands. Then you can meaningfully fuck something up on the dial or struggle to re-seat them properly. 

Wriggles

Without intending to disparage your experience or comments, I find it quite amusing that you begin the post talking about these watches as if they are the equal of, and treated like, delicate gen mechanical watches, then flip it around and say "remember guys, it's a replica"

Quite the contradiction.

Conversely, you have disparaged the experience of all the members here by posting this as if you know better and have such experience as a 2nd generation jeweller, yet by doing so you completely dismiss the experience of thousands of members here.

Our experience is primarily with reps, therefore we know what to expect and how they can arrive with varying degrees of cleanliness internally, and quality issues.

Have you received your first rep yet? Well, then please allow for the simple fact that many members here have far more experience with reps than you currently do, and refrain from disparaging their experience because you believe you know better.

You very well may know more, but you may not necessarily know better in consideration of the fact that these are replicas and not the gens you are used to.

Gens of course also can have problems, so it should be considered that reps may also have problems, but conversely they can also be very good.

You will probably discover the majority of members here probably know far more about watches than the majority of gen owners, it's a requirement of the hobby to be honest

Redbeard88

Wriggle well spoken, 2nd generation jeweler sounds like daddy had a bunch of money and gave poor kid an ego problem, along with a bunch of gens.  I am a wood butchering carpenter, just bought 2 invicta watches, I opened both those bitches up and pulled out the movement, why just to check shit out and see all the inner workings.  Put them back together everything is fine, except the tool marks on the case back where I used vice grips to remove the back, no worries I'll grind that down with my dremel  and re polish.. dont discredit anyone's ability Mr 2nd generation jeweler, not cool

JohnG
12 hours ago, trendconcept said:

I saw pictures of open watches and inside everything was full with body hair and other dirt.

If it doesn´t have pubic hair in it, it´s not a genuine Chinese replica.   Or it was made by a pre-pubescent child, and that´s not good, especially if you get one made at th end of the 16 hour shift.   Pubes are a sort of quality assurance stamp.    

JohnG
5 hours ago, Left Coast Guy said:

You can source a pretty decent 2824 clone movement from ebay for $90, and while there is value to a delicate/deliberate hands, any competent tinkerer can work on said mov't provided the right tools. 

Agreed.   It is worth saying that it is easy to screw things up but to suggest it can´t be done is silly.  Just using instructional videos , decent tools, and clean well lit workspace, many people here, including myself, have replaced movements, dials, hands, fixed detached rotors, etc.   I have also repaired keyless works and more than a few have serviced entire movements.   

Chinese replicas are a great way to get into a fascinating world precisely because they are relatively inexpensive and most are willing to risk it, something few amateurs would do with a genuine luxury watch.

To each his own.  

Wriggles
19 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Agreed.   It is worth saying that it is easy to screw things up but to suggest it can´t be done is silly.

I noticed he said it shouldn't be done rather than can't be done.

The cynic in me wonders is the next post going to be where our  new member offers services to members?

Not that this would be necessarily a bad thing (once it's agreed with the board admin), but advising people to not do it themselves would be a good way to try to generate a customer base if that was the inclination...

narikaa

Another aspect ignored here

is 

open it and kiss goodbye to any warranty

Wish I had a tenner for every 'its just stopped mister' that I've endured over the years. Only to be told later by my watchsmith of the various endeavours of Vlad the Impaler that had been carried out inside of them.

I don't suppose the same 'what harm could it do' attitude would engender anything but a guided tour of the way out at the car dealership. After whinging about the errant transmission - under warranty - on your new ride, and in passing explaining that you opened the gearbox for a look-see but put it all back OK (after all you do have a shiny new socket set that wifey gave you for Christmas)

;)

TRANSPORTER

My problem here is "im a 2nd generation jeweler" now where I come from a jeweler tinkers with ring sizes and bracelets and re seating diamonds etc etc, a BHI course does not touch any of that subject, why because that's horology and not jewelery. 

On another note, ref the ultra sonic cleaner, yes you are correct it doesn't put a shine on your watch, but let me tell you this, ive rescued a good few 100 year old plus pocket watches in my time in this hobby, and after using a good cleaning fluid, which of course you would know about being a 2nd gen jeweler, the plates and wheels etc from these muck encrusted movements came out like new, really shiney, so that's that question answered for a few of the members who have replied to your first post. 

For the poster who said they work in an office and are a clean person so they wouldn't need to clean their watch, think again mate, your body sweats, it gives out oils it collects moisture, and in doing so, your watch band/bracelet will become filthy over time, have a good look around the lugs at the spring bars and also in between the links, yes you will find crud in there that will eventually need to be cleaned out (or not depending on how bothered you are about it).

For the original OP, im not trying to piss on your fire, you obviously have some experience in the world of horology but as has been said before, please don't mistake your enthusiasm for ability in this hobby, but anyway glad to have you along and welcome to the party

deju
32 minutes ago, narikaa said:

Wish I had a tenner for every 'its just stopped mister' that I've endured over the years. Only to be told later by my watchsmith of the various endeavours of Vlad the Impaler that had been carried out inside of them.

Or for when I hear.... 'I Bought this 13 months ago from you but I haven't used it. It's sat in a box, I've just gone to use it and it's broken.'

I swear every repair we get in, is from people that miraculously  from a customer that has 'never used'  the product :lmao:

narikaa
14 minutes ago, deju said:

Or for when I hear.... 'I Bought this 13 months ago from you but I haven't used it. It's sat in a box, I've just gone to use it and it's broken.'

I swear every repair we get in, is from people that miraculously  from a customer that has 'never used'  the product :lmao:

Or the joyful hours you can spend explaining Newtons First Law of Motion to the slack jawed masses who would have you believe things  'just fell off'

;)

Wriggles
23 minutes ago, narikaa said:

Or the joyful hours you can spend explaining Newtons First Law of Motion to the slack jawed masses who would have you believe things  'just fell off'

;)

Free physics lessons with every rep?

Now thats top notch service right there

megaul

Well, just as with any other piece of technology, if you don't know what you're doing.......

In my experience, playing the rep game also requires a bit of good luck. Cheapies can run for years and expensive ones can be doa or vv

18 minutes ago, Wriggles said:

Free physics lessons with every rep?

Now thats top notch service right there

Thats why he's a TD here :Applause:

JTK01

Quite a few negative assumptions and comments about me.  I don't understand the need for them.  My post was intended to help.  I have nothing to gain from it.  There are a lot of useful posts here and i wanted to contribute, that's it.  I never said anything bad about anyone.  I never said you couldn't fix watches.  In fact, fixing watches is not hard at all, its just a very delicate process.  I never said anything negative at all.  If you took any of my comments as something negative, i think you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself why you got angry?

To the people that had a problem with my comment about being a "jeweler".  The only reason i mentioned it was to say that i have experience and knowledge.  I have worked with genuine and replica watches.  I have a quite a few replicas, good and bad ones.  This is the first time i've bought one online.   So the information here about buying replicas ONLINE is incredible and i was grateful to find the community here.  Again, if you think i have some ulterior motives, that's your issue.  Not mine.  

If you think you know more than me or have more experience than me.  Okay.   That's your opinion.  Just like these are my opinions based on my own experience.  In fact, everything  posted on this forum is just that:  Opinions/advice based on experience.  

I still stand by my initial comments about this site.  Im happy i found this forum.  i appreciate all the great information here. 

I won't let  the few negative people in this thread affect my opinion about the  community here as a whole. 

Wriggles

If you think these posts are angry and negative I would suggest you may want to consider if you wish to be a member of this forum. You need to grow a thick skin round here, and these posts are exceedingly polite and mild in comparison to what does get posted here.

Nikosaldente
7 hours ago, JohnG said:

If it doesn´t have pubic hair in it, it´s not a genuine Chinese replica.   Or it was made by a pre-pubescent child, and that´s not good, especially if you get one made at th end of the 16 hour shift.   Pubes are a sort of quality assurance stamp.    

:rofl:

JSJ
57 minutes ago, JTK01 said:

Quite a few negative assumptions and comments about me.  I don't understand the need for them.  My post was intended to help.  I have nothing to gain from it.  There are a lot of useful posts here and i wanted to contribute, that's it.  I never said anything bad about anyone.  I never said you couldn't fix watches.  In fact, fixing watches is not hard at all, its just a very delicate process.  I never said anything negative at all.  If you took any of my comments as something negative, i think you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself why you got angry?

To the people that had a problem with my comment about being a "jeweler".  The only reason i mentioned it was to say that i have experience and knowledge.  I have worked with genuine and replica watches.  I have a quite a few replicas, good and bad ones.  This is the first time i've bought one online.   So the information here about buying replicas ONLINE is incredible and i was grateful to find the community here.  Again, if you think i have some ulterior motives, that's your issue.  Not mine.  

If you think you know more than me or have more experience than me.  Okay.   That's your opinion.  Just like these are my opinions based on my own experience.  In fact, everything  posted on this forum is just that:  Opinions/advice based on experience.  

I still stand by my initial comments about this site.  Im happy i found this forum.  i appreciate all the great information here. 

I won't let  the few negative people in this thread affect my opinion about the  community here as a whole. 

If you start a thread after you have been here about 20 minutes with the words 'misinformation in the pinned thread', could that be perceived as a bit negative? 

You know more than the writer of the thread? You know more than the mod or admin who decided to pin it? Could it make you look like a clever fucker? 

It would be easy to demolish some of your recommendations. For example, clean your filthy (as supplied) rep bracelet with soap and water. Done? Then put it in the ultrasonic cleaner and see how much shite comes out. I'm wondering if you ever did that, in all your many years charging people to clean their watches. 

Good luck here. Whether I'm glad you found the site, I'm not sure. 

trendconcept
12 hours ago, JohnG said:

:rofl:

From now on, I appreciate every pubic hair in my watch.