Undinist

Day-Date 40 228206, Noob 1:1 Best, my first rep. Underwhelmed

Undinist

This isn't a review, I'm too noob for that...it's really an account of how  an amateurish noob bought his first rep, which doesn't quite meet his expectations.   I hope  the post is appropriate for this sub-forum - it might help someone else to research the Noob 228206. There don't seem to be any reviews of 228206  reps here yet.  (I think the gen was launched in 2015 at BaselWorld.)

The watch arrived today, my first rep ever! It's from InTime, a TD over at RWI:  https://www.intime01.co/rollie/3468-day-date-40-228206-noob-1-1-best-edition-textured-ice-blue-dial-on-ss-president-bracelet-a3255.html

To my eye the blue is too light, I can't really appreciate the beautiful intricacies of the dial with the naked eye (should have bought a bigger watch!), the ugly cyclops dominates it and the whole effect is just a bit average. I love the case, the bracelet, the weight and feel, the sense of quality, but I think it desperately needs a 2AR crystal with no cyclops. Even then I doubt the dial is ever going to pop...I think it will still be drab because the blue is just wrong.   I OK'd the QC pics hoping that the blue had been washed out by the TD's lighting and it would look much better in daylight. But it doesn't.  It's too late to complain to the TD, I'll just have to be more ruthless with QC pics in future I suppose. Here's the QC pic:

Here are pics I took today. They're very ordinary pics, I'm just trying to convey how the watch looks IRL:

P1070168.jpg

P1070173.jpg

P1070176.jpg

And here are pics from many different sources. I wonder whether the blue has been enhanced with Photoshop in all of them.

InTime site:

intimesite.jpg

Kuvarsit:

kuvarsit.jpg

Deployant.com review:

deployant.jpg

Ebay jeweller:

ebay.jpg

Pinterest:

pinterest.jpg

black263

You do realise, you can't post a QC pic.   Naughty naughty boy.

Undinist

Depends on the context, I believe. You're not supposed to post them before purchase to ask others to critique them. 

BadPickle

Lighting can make or break a photo,.. 

So what's the issue? 

Paparolf

That's the problem with photos and colours they can differ so much.

Undinist

That it doesn't look how I'd hoped. But that's as much to do with my expectations and my buying decision as it is to do with the watch or the TD. I was hoping I'd made that clear. 

Undinist

FFS. I can't even work out how to use the new fucking forum software to insert pickledbeetroot's quote before my previous post. 

black263
12 minutes ago, Undinist said:

Depends on the context, I believe. You're not supposed to post them before purchase to ask others to critique them. 

By Greg - QC pics may not be posted on this board due to the shitfest that inevitably follows.... mmmkay?

BadPickle

Go outside in the sunshine with a good camera and take some better pics to compare, or get a light tent and tripod set up, admittedly the kurvasit one looks shite and enhanced badly but the others were taken with care, unlike your snapshots. 

Search for a member here called gazzla, he did some really good pics. 

Undinist

To black263: I think you are incorrect. I'm not posting the pic for the reason which caused the posting of QC pics to be banned.  And the pic is essential to the thread. So I'm respecting the spirit of the law, while bending it. Refer it to a mod if you like.

Mr Stubbs

For one thing,  I'm certain those other pics had the saturation and vibrance bumped up to make them pop.  For another...  I'm skeptical that any small Rolex will pop without leopard spots and bejewellry.  

My Air King is an adorable little watch but it has less pop than a stale bottle of 7 Up.  :lol:

Undinist
4 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Go outside in the sunshine with a good camera and take some better pics to compare, or get a light tent and tripod set up, admittedly the kurvasit one looks shite and enhanced badly but the others were taken with care, unlike your snapshots. 

Search for a member here called gazzla, he did some really good pics. 

Well...super duper massaged pics are irrelevant to me. What matters is my enjoyment of wearing the watch.  I don't live in a light tent. 

BadPickle
12 minutes ago, Undinist said:

Well...super duper massaged pics are irrelevant to me. What matters is my enjoyment of wearing the watch.  I don't live in a light tent. 

So what was the point of the thread again????????? 

Undinist

{Sigh}

I'd rather not retype it, would you mind rereading it? 

autochrono

Congrats on your first purchase, and welcome to rep collecting.

Ditch your expectations and enjoy the experience.

Really the only way to get exactly what you see in terms of watches is to purchase gens from retailers.

For my "discretionary income" this means citizen and Seiko gens.

Undinist

Thanks. Maybe I also need new glasses! I'm hoping a 2AR crystal will narrow the gap between expectations and  reality. I was looking at lots of pics of Prof's crystals the other day, and I'm thinking that a crystal upgrade is essential to every watch you want to keep, even A DH Gate cheapie which costs less than half of the crystal.

And I was rereading the Deployant review of my Day Date. The photos seem very honest....must make a note to find 'real life' unbuggeredwith photos before buying another watch!  https://www.deployant.com/review-rolex-day-date-platinum/

Daffy

$368 for that?  Whew.

I'm sorry you didn't like it.  Maybe things will turn out better with your second rep?

Undinist

I do like the bracelet and the feel and the quality...if I can get a Prof crystal I think I'll be a happy bunny. I think the stock crystal really lets it down.

Genius

I actually think it looks really good!

And the kuvarsit photo looks awful! 

Chiquita Fanjita

Have to say I really like it too. If I'm honest I actually prefer the ice blue as opposed to the deeper more turquoise blue of the TD pics.

Undinist

Well, this is surprising...I didn't think my sloppy pics would sell the watch to anyone! 

I have to say that I'm enjoying wearing it..the look and feel of the bracelet are awesome.

SuperbMonster

Looks good to me. If you don't like it, flog it on M2M and move on. Sorted.

tabuktime

I think (and that's obviously only my opinion) that you'd be wasting your money on a double AR, regardless of the source.  Keep it with its flaws, or pass it on via M2M to someone who's seen it here and likes it... 

Testomatic

Agree 2AR won't change a thing and just forget funcky colors these are reps not even super ones... colors are never as deep as the real thing. Best to stick to plain dials that are hard enough to replicate.

enjoy the rep game the lemons just make you better at it. 

If all reps where flawless where would the fun be ?

Undinist
9 minutes ago, tabuktime said:

I think (and that's obviously only my opinion) that you'd be wasting your money on a double AR, regardless of the source.  Keep it with its flaws, or pass it on via M2M to someone who's seen it here and likes it... 

I reckon the only way to learn is to buy, so I'll get the crystal and hope to keep the watch long term.  I really need a Day-Date 40 in my collection, because a watch without day and date is not much use to me. And there are very few reps with a weekday function which I like.  This one, a couple of IWCs, a Patek and..er...that's it. Anything else I buy will just be an evening watch, for when I don't care what day it is!