childishthing

SKX013 Mods

childishthing

I have a Seiko SKX013 and I'm wondering where I can get aftermarket parts. I'd like to swap bezels, bezel insert, crystal, and hands. There seem to be a few sites that specialize in offering parts for the 007, but not for the 013. I'm looking forward to modifying my first watch, but the 007 watches are a bit big for my wrist.

Is there an online store I can order from, or someone specifically who specializes in 013 aftermarket parts?

Looking for specifically...
-coin-edge bezel
-lumed bezel insert
-double-domed sapphire crystal
-hand set w/ orange minute hand

36482094631_e53cc9b274_o.png

andyboy

The parts for an SKX013 are limited.

You need to speak with Harold at Yobokies.

[email protected]

Diver Dave

Shoot Jake a note at Dagaz as well, but here's the news (I do Seiko mods by the dozen here):

1: Dials and hands for the007 (SKX) series fit fine.

(A): The diameter of the dials is identical, the SXK makes it look bigger by using a chapter ring to increase the effective diameter, but the actual dials are the same (ditto for any of the Seiko 5 series as well).

(B): Hands interchange on all of these (same movements). 

2: Crystals can be had from Crystaltimes. 

3: Bezel inserts = "good luck" (there aren't any), and ditto new bezels. No market for them.  Don't spend any time looking for them, because they don't exist. 

Advice: The 007 (SKX) can be built to "wear smaller" by using a bezel that does not overhang the diameter of the case. The stock bezel is larger in diameter than the case itself (makes it easy for a diver to turn the bezel with gloves on). The bezel I would suggest to make it "wear smaller" is the coin edge from Dave Murphy, which is an absolute work of art, and which is case-diameter. This seemingly insignificant change totally transforms the apparent size of the watch. DO NOT buy one of the cheaper copies of his bezel as sold by Yobokies, etc. I have had a VERY bad run of luck fitting these (sent to me by clients asking for them to be installed). The machining tolerances are not within limits, and the finish sucks in comparison to the Murphy bezel. I use Murphy parts on my high end custom builds that are in the $1000+ range and they are as nice as any high end factory part from the best Swiss makers.  Do yourself a favor and bin the 013, grab a SKX, and follow my advice. If you want help on a build, feel free to PM me. 

Dave

Edited by Diver Dave

TRANSPORTER

Diver dave, top advice mate, I love the old seikos 7002-7001 was my first modified watch, they are bombproof (seikos in general ) if I need any extra advice I now know that you are in the know.

Diver Dave
2 hours ago, TRANSPORTER said:

Diver dave, top advice mate, I love the old seikos 7002-7001 was my first modified watch, they are bombproof (seikos in general ) if I need any extra advice I now know that you are in the know.

Happy to help. I don't really use this forum to discuss Seiko, but my "real" involvement in watches is in building up batches of custom modified Seiko SKX's for military units, etc., each batch is usually 24 identical watches with either a custom dial, or a custom engraved back, or both, with new crystals, hands, chapter rings, etc., new bracelets, etc. Often I'm also installing hacking movements (needed for the military units), etc. Basically when I am done all that's left of the old 007 is the midcase. The quality level is always "best possible", as my end user base are guys who will go and use them in the most demanding environments you can imagine. All of my watches are fully pressure tested, timegrapher analyzed, and ready for a lifetime of work. I've done several hundred to date. Happy to offer anything needed. 

andyboy

Good advice regarding the SKX07 Diver Dave

However there is bezels and bezel inserts available for the 013 range. Limited choice and no lumed version but Yobokies do have some ceramic ones and also offer a couple of styles of bezels including a coin edge one.

Diver Dave
8 hours ago, andyboy said:

Good advice regarding the SKX07 Diver Dave

However there is bezels and bezel inserts available for the 013 range. Limited choice and no lumed version but Yobokies do have some ceramic ones and also offer a couple of styles of bezels including a coin edge one.

Understood, it was the lume insert I was replying to, but see that it didn't come out that way,

I've had absolutely terrible luck installing the Yobokies coin edge bezels, about 3 out of 5 don't fit correctly. The machining tolerances needed for a bezel to snap over the flange on the watch yet not fall off are about +/- 0.0005 inches, or half of a thousandth of an inch**, according to Dave Murphy, who makes the superb Murphy bezels. This is why he plug-gauges every bezel he makes with a go/no-go gauge set. And why Chinese mass produced ones don't fit well. The Yobokies ones are electro-polished as well, which gives the details a "muddy" look. So I'm not a fan of his bezels at all. Hands and dials yes... bezels no.

** That's 1/100th of a "RCH"*, which is the mechanics smallest unit of measure, falling somewhat smaller than a blonde one and FAR smaller than a Black one.... 

That's a Red Cunt Hair. You had to look, didn't you? 

Evan_Wathes

Hey all! Just joined and I'd like to follow up 6 months later. I am also looking to do a pretty specific SKX013  Mod.  Quality of the parts is obviously Very important to me, and i've used Dagaz and Yobokies in the past, but never for a bezel. I am really looking for a  coin edge for the 013 in black DLC as I want to cerakote the watch case as well. Does Dave Murphy do anything like this as of yet??/

Thanks in advance for any info!

pezzy

it's 2019 now. any progress with mods/parts available for this watch? specifically a black yachtmaster bezel insert?

cvp3

No idea on yachtmaster inserts. I went Coke and Pepsi.

IMG-0128.jpg

IMG-0132.jpg

IMG-0135.jpg

pezzy

nice. where's the pepsi bezel from? it looks similar to the skx015. most of the after market pepsi i've seen have been a few shades lighter. would love a ceramic pepsi.

i bought a coke and a yachtmaster style bezel on ebay last night. will know whether they are good or not.

having searched around, looks like yoboskies is still the the goto guy. but his offerings are still quite limited :(.