bech312

Can i fix my Milgauss ?

bech312

Hi. 

I have this milgauss that I'm pretty happy with. Even though I have a gen 114060, I'm still wearing the Milgauss a lot. 

The thing is it has lost its second hand, and I would like to fix it, but then I have some question since I never have repaired any watches other than replaced some strap. 

So first question, will I be able to take of the glass and put the second hand on with a glass lifter? 

Ive seen a lot of cheap those on AliExpress etc. are these of such a quality that I'm able to use it this one time?

i can't see how the second hand is attached and why it has come of, it's just moves around inside the watch. Is it just to put the second hand on top of the other hands? 

Sorry, for all the question, but I really want my Milgauss back. But still not so much I want to buy a new one. 

Hope someone will take their time to help me. 

Genius

You're gonna have to pop the bezel then the crystal should just lift off... You will need a crystal press to put it back together though.

Vest way is to take the caseback off and drop the whole movement out the back 

Thommo82

Remove case back with either proper tool or sticky ball (my preferred method).

Remove crown and stem from movement. (Google this, it's not hard)

Remove movement holder if it has one. The plastic ring around movement. Pop movement out.

Put a small ball of blu-tak on a pen or something similar and carefully pick up seconds hand with blu-tak, being sure that seconds hand is right way up.

Gently place seconds hand onto movement shaft. I use tweezers to gently press down on either side of hand around shaft. GENTLY!!

Make sure as to check that ALL hands are lined up correctly and will not bump into each other.

Replace movement, stem and crown, plastic ring and screw case back firmly into place.

That should do it

Good luck 

Genius

Also look up the correct crown stem removal method for your particular movement 

Diver Dave

^^ The end of a ball point pen ink tube makes a better hand-setting tool than tweezers, just as a suggestion. However for the seconds you don't need a tubular setting tool, so just a small diameter wooden stick will do the work with ease. 

And *absolutely* do this by pulling the back off, popping the stem out, and dropping the movement out of the case. From start to end it's a five minute job for anyone who studies the information available. 

GenTLe
13 minutes ago, Diver Dave said:

^^ The end of a ball point pen ink tube makes a better hand-setting tool than tweezers, just as a suggestion. However for the seconds you don't need a tubular setting tool, so just a small diameter wooden stick will do the work with ease. 

And *absolutely* do this by pulling the back off, popping the stem out, and dropping the movement out of the case. From start to end it's a five minute job for anyone who studies the information available. 

I quote all! If you don't have a movement holder, remove the counterweight/rotor because fitting a hand with the movement that rotates around (being it laying on the counterweight) is a mess. And be extra-sure that the second hand tube is centered on the pinion, and don't put too much pressure on the top of the hand to avoid pushing out the jewel at the other side of the second hand gear shaft.

bech312

Thank you so much everyone. 

SECOND HAND IS ON!

but when i try to put everything together I get a problem with the stem when putting it back in. It will go in place, but nothing happens when I turn it. What have I done wrong?

couldnt find any guides for putting the stem back. 

Edited by bech312

k3rm87

Pop it into hacking mode by re-inserting the crown and pull to time set position. 

bech312

Thanks, it's now set and running. 

But when I try to set the time, it acts a little weird, like i can overscrew the crown a little bit and the hands doesn't move with turning the crown. 

And of course, I kept a lot attention to not get any dust or something on the dial and in the watch. But the only thing I didn't get cleaned was the second hand, so now there is a little black dot on it :D

Thommo82

Glad you got the hand back on mate, you are now a qualified watchsmith!

bech312
9 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

Glad you got the hand back on mate, you are now a qualified watchsmith!

Yes, another rep brought back to life. 

I guess I wouldn't make it as a watch smith :D there is so many little things in a watch that's just sit there and waiting to broke. 

But thank you for your help. Really appreciate it