Sign in to follow this  
Reveller

Omega PO bezel not centered

Reveller

Please see below. The bezel on my PO seems to be mis-aligned: too much to the left (on this picture) instead of exactly in the middle of the 12-hour.

Is there a way to fix this or can it only be fixed by ordering a new watch?

dYsRgDc.png

BadPickle

It's just an insert, it's a little tricky to remove without breaking. 

GenTLe

There is a way, but it is a delicate operation: removing the bezel, detach the ceramic insert with a scalpel from below taking a lot of care not to twist the ceramic insert (it will break), clean it from the glue underside, clean the bezel, reinstall the bezel and put back the insert with new glue so that it will perfectly centered...

I did it 3 times (on Rolexes) and you need steady hands, be slow, delicate and have the right tools.

So, to answer your question: yes, it is feasible and you don't need a new watch. But I don't suggest you to do it yourself if you have not good hands for DIY works.

k4jun

OP, give it good and long blow of hot air from a hairdryer,  however u still need to be very careful when removing the ceramic insert. You will manage it DIY:)

Kernow

As GenTLe said. I've done this on Seamaster Pros which are basically the same construction as the PO. You may find that the glue which holds the insert in is actually double sided tape. Remove the bezel and use a scalpel or sharp but thin blade and very slowly separate the bezel and insert by going round and round many times along the inside edge. You'll feel the insert detach. Replace bezel and then the insert - you may or may not need additional glue/tape. 20 minutes work with the right tools. 

Diver Dave

Agreed with all of this ^^, with one suggestion: A favorite of many watchmakers is a cement known as "GS Hypo Cement", which comes in a metal tube with (not surprisingly) a small hypodermic needle to apply little amounts of the cement where needed. It remains slightly flexible after hardening, and excess (like a little extra squeezing out between an insert and bezel) can be rubbed off with a finger. It was originally formulated to seal watch crystals to cases, but is now used in many arts and crafts, and can either be purchased from the internet, or found at better arts and crafts stores. I use it exclusively on watch bezel inserts that have click-stops, as (unlike double sided tape or contact cement) I can carefully re-position the insert perfectly before it dries. I suggest you buy a tube to use after you remove the insert and clean the old sticky stuff off. 

Read this:

http://www.gshypocement.com/

One more suggestion: We have binocular vision (two eyes) and at the distance we look at the insert, we can either allow one eye or the other to dominate our fused-vision of what we are looking at. One eye will always see the bezel pip as off-center when we look at it. Close one eye when you are setting the insert into place to see it perfectly straight. 

Edited by Diver Dave

narikaa
1 hour ago, Diver Dave said:

One more suggestion: We have binocular vision (two eyes) and at the distance we look at the insert, we can either allow one eye or the other to dominate our fused-vision of what we are looking at. One eye will always see the bezel pip as off-center when we look at it. Close one eye when you are setting the insert into place to see it perfectly straight. 

+1 for GS Hypo cement

And the one eyed business...go extra anal and use only your 'master' eye

To find out which that is, point at an object with both eyes open (or point at the mooted bezel pearl with say a cocktail stick or suchlike with both eyes open) Then without moving anything, alternately close one eye then the other. One will show the object and finger/cocktail stick in alignment (the MASTER Eye), the other eye will show the alignment markedly off.

GenTLe
3 hours ago, narikaa said:

To find out which that is, point at an object with both eyes open (or point at the mooted bezel pearl with say a cocktail stick or suchlike with both eyes open) Then without moving anything, alternately close one eye then the other. One will show the object and finger/cocktail stick in alignment (the MASTER Eye), the other eye will show the alignment markedly off.

Thanks, I discovered why I use the lupe always with the left eye, it's the master one :D

sunnydale

You can also leave the bezel between two clicks if it is stiff enough. I did that with my genuine CRPO that had ALSO non centered triangle.