Amac

Rolex reps made with 904L steel

Amac

I was browsing the trusted dealer Puretime from the RWI website and he is stating that they are about to release some Rolex Reps made of the same exact 904L steel as the gens.  Real interesting write up with pictures and everything on his website.  This could be a huge game changer. 

RepGuy

Yep, I saw this next door. I'm definitely interested in the possibility, but will wait until some reviews are out

DixieDynamite

The new Daytona with this steel runs around $500 with shipping. I wonder if it's worth the extra money. I've seen on other forums plenty of opinions (some say no biggie, others say this is big) but no one actually has one of these yet.

Just my opinion, but I can't see this as all the rage, at least with the Daytona. Someone figures out non-bleeding subdials, proper subdial spacing, and a better movement, and Daytonas will fly off the shelves. 

Mr_B

I'm pretty sure it won't be 904 steel. Might be a slightly different finish if anything. One born every minute...

goldrolexdaydate

Even if it is 100% 904L steel, I don't see why JF (ARF) would invest in a better grade of steel which aesthetically doesn't change anything, when they should be working on a movement that actually allows a gen spec case for daytonas.

Foxindebox
1 hour ago, Mr_baldwin said:

I'm pretty sure it won't be 904 steel. Might be a slightly different finish if anything. One born every minute...

This...^^^

smoke and mirrors...

Remember the JF LV that was going to be a TC beater? Angus has a propensity for hyperbole.

torobravo
All rep manufacturers use 316L surgical quality stainless steel, the 904L it is harder (as material) much more expensive, and more difficult to cut with the usual milling machinese and Rolex has his own tools to work with this delicate 904L and everything is done in-house.

I think that the above mentioned are enough for me to have a big question mark, and unfortunately I am not qualified to tell you if that steel is really as advertised.

Folks, 904L is expensive, and it´s not like 50 bucks more expensive, it is much more, so I´m not sure what to say, I don´t want to create a shitstorm, but even a testing machine can be fooled, it can be some kind of mixed alloy or god knows what.

Oh, and the frozen seconds...

Just thinking out lout

Daywatch

316l, 904l .. the way the steel looks like or shines is just a question of polish, buffing and finish.  If a new caseset  also gets the proper attention regarding other details like using the better parts from the lot - and just 5 minutes more assembly time, the result might be great. 

Curious to see how the "slim A7750" performs once some members have it. 13,2mm Daytona vs. 12,2 mm thickness of the gen already sounds good.

rawbaws

The  chrono registers are faux. Really confusing movement.. seconds at 6 and central chrono hand starts and resets.. but that's it 

sogeha

904L is expensive, but at around $2000 per ton, it wouldn't really cost much per watch. I think it is the cost of tooling up to work the metal that makes this unlikely. I have no idea what the true story is, but once the dust settles, I doubt we will have a 904L watch case and like others say, I could care less. There are strong rumours that Noob is working on a clone movement. No doubt the first few hundred will be made of cheese like the SA3135, but it is still a more interesting development 

narikaa
5 hours ago, Amac said:

This could be a huge game changer. 

Only if you're usage of  the epithet 'huge'

is being applied with the same perverse imagination as the populist American usage of 'awesome' for just about anything that's not quite mundane or borderline boring

ShovelnTC

Yes so i guess we will hear from the "experts" that will tell us how obvious a difference there is and that they can tell from across the room but I doubt that anyone can tell the difference unless in a laboratory type environment and with specific lighting.

Another excuse to raise the prices a touch more without any real justification.

narikaa

Yup

As the bandit Calvera put it

"If God did not want them sheared, He would not have made them sheep"

;)

elmerlo
28 minutes ago, ShovelnTC said:

Yes so i guess we will hear from the "experts" that will tell us how obvious a difference there is and that they can tell from across the room but I doubt that anyone can tell the difference unless in a laboratory type environment and with specific lighting.

^^ This.

I have the Gen with 904L and the Noob Rep (316L): no difference whatsoever.

White gold: THAT makes a difference upon 316L. Weight and yellowish tone.

That's why the hands and indexes on the Gen have a different hue compared to the reps, but the case and bracelet? Well, no. Let's go 316 all the way and put this 904 bluff out of the way once and for all. ;)

JohnG
37 minutes ago, ShovelnTC said:

Yes so i guess we will hear from the "experts" that will tell us how obvious a difference there is and that they can tell from across the room 

:rofl:  

I love the "across the room" comments.  These people are the antipode of "who makes the best sub?"  Part and parcel of any rep forum. 

black263
1 hour ago, ShovelnTC said:

It's easy to call out a Rep Rolex from across the room.   Just assume that every Rolex you see is a replica, and, most times, you'll be correct.

JohnG
4 minutes ago, black263 said:

It's easy to call out a Rep Rolex from across the room.   Just assume that every Rolex you see is a replica, and, most times, you'll be correct.

If you spend your days in a cubicle that would be true but in the company boardroom, not so much.  Context is everything  :lol:

BadPickle
2 hours ago, torobravo said:
All rep manufacturers use 316L surgical quality stainless steel, the 904L it is harder (as material) much more expensive, and more difficult to cut with the usual milling machinese and Rolex has his own tools to work with this delicate 904L and everything is done in-house.

I think that the above mentioned are enough for me to have a big question mark, and unfortunately I am not qualified to tell you if that steel is really as advertised.

Folks, 904L is expensive, and it´s not like 50 bucks more expensive, it is much more, so I´m not sure what to say, I don´t want to create a shitstorm, but even a testing machine can be fooled, it can be some kind of mixed alloy or god knows what.

Oh, and the frozen seconds...

Just thinking out lout

Wise words Toro,  from a dealer in the know :thumbsup2: 

anything other "expert opinion" can pretty much be disregarded, if Toro says no, it's good enough for me 

18 minutes ago, JohnG said:

If you spend your days in a cubicle that would be true but in the company boardroom, not so much.  Context is everything  :lol:

OH MY GOD!!! When would anyone let you anywhere near a company board room :rofl: 

greg_r

A huge game-changer?

No - the game changer would be if they actually managed to produce a Daytona that a: worked as per the gen and b: consistently continued to work for longer than a week... :rolleyes: 

BadPickle
1 hour ago, greg_r said:

A huge game-changer?

No - the game changer would be if they actually managed to produce a Daytona that a: worked as per the gen and b: consistently continued to work for longer than a week... :rolleyes: 

i think you're expectations are too high here pal, maybe this rep-game aint your thang?? :lol:

tonyh7

Rolex use higher grade steel because it is more resistant to marine corrosion. That means if you dive day in day out with a Rolex it won't corrode, whereas , over time (years?),lower grade steel will. Since I wouldn't even consider swimming with a rep what's the point.

Genius
4 hours ago, JohnG said:

Toilet cubicle? 

GenTLe

Who cares about the case... 316L is good enough! Get a good movement, this is what we want.

k4jun

I am not a Daytone-guy so this release does not make any waves for me.

Will wait for the sub, probably I will never buy a real 904 thing, but I am somehow curious about this metal so rep sub will fulfil it.

Nikosaldente

The cases are good enough!

Rep factories should invest in better movements!