cam2000

Jeweller refused to pressure test

cam2000

I just bought a Tudor Black Bay rep from perfect clones. Good looking watch. I asked a place in a shopping mall to pressure test it for me, and she said that it wasn't supposed to be waterproof - it was a dress watch. Is this common? Did she know it was a rep? And how do i get someone to do it?

Thanks

NCRich

You answered your own question..............at the mall.

cam2000

So any advice? I'm in Sydney, Australia...

RepGuy
1 hour ago, cam2000 said:

So any advice? I'm in Sydney, Australia...

It sounds like you already know that reps aren't guaranteed to be water resistant (there is no such thing as waterproof, even with gens). Most members know to keep their reps away from the pool, and don't feel the need to pressure test. If you feel that you must, I would take it to a real watchsmith and not some mall stand. If you can't find a local one easily, there are forum watchsmiths that can pressure test for you.

Diver Dave

^^ This, although  I would be very surprised if it didn't pass waterproofing. If it does leak it's likely an unsealed crown tube, which is easy to remedy with some blue loctite. The backs and crystals on these don't seem to be leak points, at least in my experience, even on the cheap ones. 

narikaa
8 hours ago, cam2000 said:

I just bought a Tudor Black Bay rep from perfect clones. Good looking watch. I asked a place in a shopping mall to pressure test it for me, and she said that it wasn't supposed to be waterproof - it was a dress watch. Is this common? Did she know it was a rep? And how do i get someone to do it?

Thanks

I fear your approach was lacking

in that, your opening gambit should have been "have you a pressure testing machine?"

the rest would have been easier.

Being a mall based 'smith' likely the sum total of kit would be a few screwdrivers, caseback openers, springbars, straps & batteries.  Far easier to tell you that line of BS she did than to put her hands up and declare not having the equipment/expertise necessary.

Griffo

Black bay...dress watch?

JohnG
11 hours ago, cam2000 said:

Thanks

You got unlucky so now the universe owes you one.  Go ahead and swim with it, it will be fine.

In all seriousness there are more people here who just jump in the pool with their reps and have had no problem, than there are members who have had to report back about fogging.   Your chances are better than even that you won´t fuck up your watch.   :lol:

ShovelnTC

Mate where did you take it, Mister Minuite?

The mall "jewelers" are retailers who generaly send anything else except battery changes to "their head office".

Try a proper watchmaker.

coherent

why would you want to jump into a pool with any watch to begin with?

Diver Dave
4 hours ago, coherent said:

why would you want to jump into a pool with any watch to begin with?

So it's not stolen out of my shoe by some dimwit kid while I'm swimming? 

So I can time my exercise swim? 

Because I don't even think about taking my watch off for the things I do? 

Funny from last week: My retriever was swimming in the local swamp-hole doing some duck retrieving training last week, and got one of his paws tangled in a broken off length of fishing line that was wrapped around a tree stump. Bottom line is that he needed rescuing. So into the waist deep muck and water I went (fully clothed) and cut him free. Only later did I realize I was wearing the nice IWC Fleigerchrono rep (3777) that I scored M2M here a month ago, and had been shoving it down into the mud trying to find the fishing line to break it off.  Watch, Gen croc strap, etc... all stuffed with mud and leaf debris. 

Took it off, sloshed it clean, went home, toothbrush cleaning in the sink, and back on the wrist. 

Sort of like a real watch.... ;-0

Go swimming. 

D

Edited by Diver Dave

epalanb
45 minutes ago, Diver Dave said:

So it's not stolen out of my shoe by some dimwit kid while I'm swimming? 

So I can time my exercise swim? 

Because I don't even think about taking my watch off for the things I do? 

Funny from last week: My retriever was swimming in the local swamp-hole doing some duck retrieving training last week, and got one of his paws tangled in a broken off length of fishing line that was wrapped around a tree stump. Bottom line is that he needed rescuing. So into the waist deep muck and water I went (fully clothed) and cut him free. Only later did I realize I was wearing the nice IWC Fleigerchrono rep (3777) that I scored M2M here a month ago, and had been shoving it down into the mud trying to find the fishing line to break it off.  Watch, Gen croc strap, etc... all stuffed with mud and leaf debris. 

Took it off, sloshed it clean, went home, toothbrush cleaning in the sink, and back on the wrist. 

Sort of like a real watch.... ;-0

Go swimming. 

D

Sounds like a real guy with a real watch......

Edited by epalanb

bobandshawn

I've never seen a small "mall shop" with a water tester...

B