Sign in to follow this  
ricardfolch

2836 stem

ricardfolch

I'm manipulating a 2836 and I always extract the stem by pressing the small hole that releases it. The question I have is: to put the stem again I always push it and rotating smoothly, but never strike the hole to enter it. Is this correct or should you also press to put the stem in place?

Diver Dave

Really doesn't make any difference. The shape of the stem acts as a cam to push the latch aside as the stem is inserted. Think this thru: In a factory where they are assembling thousands of cheap watches using these movements (not Reps, but original watches when the movement was designed), the mechanism was designed for the lowest possible workload for the assemblers. They weren't fiddling with tools to insert a stem. Shove it in and make sure it's locked and move on.

ricardfolch

Thanks a lot!!

BadPickle
8 minutes ago, Diver Dave said:

Really doesn't make any difference. The shape of the stem acts as a cam to push the latch aside as the stem is inserted. Think this thru: In a factory where they are assembling thousands of cheap watches using these movements (not Reps, but original watches when the movement was designed), the mechanism was designed for the lowest possible workload for the assemblers. They weren't fiddling with tools to insert a stem. Shove it in and make sure it's locked and move on.

That's not strictly correct old boy, 

let's look at what wear dealing with here, cheap Chinese clone movements with little or no factory quality control,  and in my personal, albeit limited, experience I would say yes you do have to give the little button a cheeky nudge whilst twirling the crown to get it to locate. 

Diver Dave
9 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

That's not strictly correct old boy, 

let's look at what wear dealing with here, cheap Chinese clone movements with little or no factory quality control,  and in my personal, albeit limited, experience I would say yes you do have to give the little button a cheeky nudge whilst twirling the crown to get it to locate. 

Sure, you can do that too.... it's not like we're building 1000 a day, is it?

With that said, a cam is a cam is a cam is a cam, and the mechanics of the geometry of the parts aren't any different than a Gen. Like I said to start with "It don't make any difference"...  ;-)

GenTLe

Sometimes pushing the extraction pin helps if it doesn't go full in. On 7750 is the norm for instance :)

TRANSPORTER

If its serviced correctly there should be a tiny amount of lube that will aid the insertion of the stem, I tend to push and rotate mine, but have on occasion felt the need to gently push the button.

BadPickle
On 25/08/2017 at 13:55, Diver Dave said:

Sure, you can do that too.... it's not like we're building 1000 a day, is it?

With that said, a cam is a cam is a cam is a cam, and the mechanics of the geometry of the parts aren't any different than a Gen. Like I said to start with "It don't make any difference"...  ;-)

:huh:

Maybe you need to work on a few rep movements, then you'll see the finish isn't quite as clean or refined, and definitely not lubed, so it does make a difference actually old boy 

Diver Dave

Let's fight! ;)

Yeah.... Push the button then. 

Smile,

Dave