Sign in to follow this  
WatchDog21

NATO Straps; Good, Bad or Indifferent?

WatchDog21

I have always like the way a NATO strap can look on watch.  I love the versatility and ease of a quick change for a different look at any time. BUT…

The moment I put it on my wrist I did not like anymore.  I have tried several times and could not figure why the dislike once on the wrist.  This weekend I think I figured out the why and how to overcome the dislike.

I believe my turn off was having to tuck the excess back under the rings.  To me it made the total appearance look bulky and distracted from the actual watch.  Well the light went off and why I never considered this before I don’t know but the answer was just cut it down to size.  Of course this is for nylon NATO straps, leather would be a different story.   So simple and obvious yet took me forever to figure it out. :D

I have looked over a few different ways of doing this and found the easiest way was the “2 nickel” method. 

1.       Take 2 nickels and sandwich the strap end inbetween them. 

2.       Use a small C clamp or some form of a strong clip so that the strap does not move around while you are trimming it. 

3.       Make the cut using a nice and sharp knife or pair of scissors following the curve of the nickels.

4.       Last, while still clamped, use a lighter to burn off any threads and seal up the strap end so as to avoid any fraying.

The entire process took maybe 5 minutes and I found the outcome resolved that bulky look for me.

WatchDog21

Before

36738602271_a94c266848_c.jpg

After

36738604551_dbd95c4a9a_c.jpg

and a closer work at the finished work

36044383694_c0245091a4_c.jpg

dave47

THANX for the idea, WD!  Like you, I like natos IN THEORY; in practice, it's a horse of a different color (old timer's expression). I just give your idea a try! Kudos to you.

dave

mr.tourette

thats a nice solution buddy...i really like a nato but i do find that i prefer ones with nice slim keepers that keep the fold over very tight and neat looking, big keepers just make the fold over to big and distract from the actual watch to me...may give this a try on some in the drawer that dont get used

Undinist

WatchDog, if you have some pieces of strap left over you could make them into keepers...they'd be less bulky than the metal keepers.  No need for any sewing,  just melt the ends together with a lighter.  The end result might be like this Royal Marines Falklands issue number: 

marinesstrap.jpg

Undinist

Better pic..

marinesstrap2.jpg