Foxindebox

Yet another poorly researched "Fake Watch" article

Foxindebox

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/confessions-serial-replica-watch-buyers/

I used to like reading this site, but it has gradually become more of a mouthpiece for the industry and less independent. 

It's a shame, as when i used to listen to a podcast with Ariel Adams, he seemed a decent enough guy with an interesting and often quite funny take on watches and their manufacturers. The fact his site is publishing such poorly researched drivel is testament to the decline in journalism on the site. 

The bit about pot-metal and lead was the nadir of this article... utter, utter bollocks.

MetalMickey

This is such shite... If only there were a website that contained real, useful information on replicas :lolcina:

Wriggles

As ever, an article containing lots of sweeping generalisations, mostly inaccurate or completey incorrect.

And as for the bit about Frankens, "only use the manufacturer to service your watches".....the manufacturers are more likely to swap out parts without your agreement or consultation than a small independent watch serviceer

dave47
8 minutes ago, metalmickey said:

This is such shite... If only there were a website that contained real, useful information on replicas :lolcina:

There is: RWG, RWI and a few more. Just my two cents.

dave

MetalMickey
16 minutes ago, dave47 said:

dave

Never heard of them 

BadPickle
23 minutes ago, metalmickey said:

Never heard of them 

40 minutes ago, dave47 said:

dave

link??

RepGuy
46 minutes ago, dave47 said:

dave

Can they tell me who has the best sub?

GenTLe

What a stupid article.

That Pam and those other "fakes" are disgusting... And "the replica industry costs the legitimate manufacturers billions in lost revenue annually" is just plain stupid... If the reps weren't good, I'd just wear a Casio or a Seiko. In ANY case I'd NEVER put 6/10k for a "gen" watch whatsoever! There are other and better uses for such money.

So they didn't lose anything from me, at most they could have gained some (little) visibility.

LightGeek

Who are those that are buying so many or high end gens annually that they're losing "billions" of potential revenue?

Oh say chap, I fancy a new Patek -- but hey! I can get a fake for $300. I do say I'll just spring for that, it's less the gold leaf toilet paper I wipe myself with every day.

Ok. Sure. 

FunnyStarSystem

It's the same as the often ridiculously inflated street values they attribute to drug seizures. It's so politicians can justify the enormous resources spent on customs and law enforcement, because the luxury brands demand it, and in turn contribute to said politicians' campaigns (and private coffers, wrists, etc). 

Gussmanca

The article is clearly leaned. My "favorite" part is the three types of rep owners. What a joke! It's just oozing bias and closed-mindedness. 

Kernow

Well what did you expect. We're all a bunch of wronguns....

maxmood

i don't believe anyone can justify shelling out 10k-25k for buying a gen.. even if they'd be looking at that dial 24/7, they wouldn't get an ROI.. just impossible.. we can all save for the perfect gen that we'll eventually buy, but any rep wrist piece that we wear now is just a decoration and an accessory.

yet, i'm still waiting for my first rep :D 

deju

Always horse shit!

before joining this band of pirates, I had one Gen uboat. 

Since joining I now have Gen rolexes, omegas, a panerai. I'd probably never got them if it wasn't for replicas