Sign in to follow this  
dappel08

Frankenbuild vs TD

dappel08
So I have been looking to purchase the newest version of the Rolex Datejust 41.  I have been researching and I found a couple of good looking versions on one of the TD's sites but I may want to have someone build me one because I have not found one that is close to perfect. Has anyone had one built? Let me know who is the best to frakenbuild me one of these - here are some important details:

It has been tough to find a high quality version of the DJ41 because Rolex just released these I believe in 2016 as an answer to some of the feedback on the Datejust 2.  There are some subtle but important and noticeable changes on the new DJ41.

1. The bezel on the DJ41 appears smaller (in my opinion cleaner) because they have added 8 more flutes to the bezel making it appear thinner.  

2. They brought back the two tone jubilee bracelet (classic looking) and even upgraded it by giving it a deployment clasp as opposed to the hideaway clasp on the older version DJ2 which looks better and helps balance the weight of the watch.

3. They streamlined the case on the DJ41 by slightly extending the lugs - again a slight change but if you have seen the two next to each other and tried them on you would notice the difference.

4. They upgraded the movement on the new DJ41 to a 3235 movement as opposed to old 3136 movement on the DJ2

5.  The Dj41 case comes in a bit thinner at 11.7mm thickenss.

6.  The dial stick markers are thinner on the datejsut 41

Anyone that can give me some direction on obtaining one of these beautiful pieces please let me know
Edited by greg_r
Lazy formatting fixed ...

Left Coast Guy

Copy and paste direct from RWI....what a classy move. Can't even be bothered to fix the formatting can you....

I don't think you'll find anyone that will do a custom franken build for you. You need to buy the parts and set-up the whole build yourself, then maybe you can talk someone into helping you with the labor piece. But even then, folks are going to be hesitant because you'll be asking them to put together parts that aren't necessarily made to go together......and it seems you have a pretty high (likely unrealistic) expectations for quality, so its almost a recipe for failure for that person. 

RepGuy

Frankens are a labor of love. You would be best suited to buy from a TD and either accept it's flaws, or consider asking a modder if they could help correct some of them.

naijishi

also regardless of being able to find someone to build you one, how much time and money do you think it will require to just source the parts needed? especially for the quality you seem to be wanting which sounds basically gen like. 

How much is your budget for this?

black263

It would be cheaper in the end to buy a second hand gen, with all the documentation.  That will hold its value, or even appreciate.  Whatever you put into a Franken, it will always remain a fake.  Bit like a car.  Have you ever considered the cost of buying all the parts separately, and having a garage build it for you?

dappel08

I found what I was looking for and the answers on this topic - thanks all your input.  I'm going to hold out for BP to release their new line of 41's