LunchMoney

First Gen Rolex Purchase

LunchMoney

I'm finally in the position where I can purchase my first Gen Rolex, which is a good thing because my Reps are starting to stop working.   There are a number of options to consider and thought I would ask some of you more *ahem* more wiser folks on what you think the most reasonable option would be.

The watch itself is a White Dial Milgauss.  This also was my first real rep purchase when I got to the forums here and learned about TD's and all.  I know part of what I'm going to ask has been on here before, but the threads are older and maybe things have changed.

I have come up with 3 general options for the purchase and they vary in price by a couple thousand dollars.

Go to the AD and pay full price.  ~$7,600 USD

Go to Jomashop and purchase a new grey market one for $6,295 (box, papers, etc)

Purchase a used Milgauss (no box/papers) from bobwatch , watchuwant, etc for around $5,195 (if they have box/papers it's like $400 more)

I don't mind getting a grey market watch, all that really means is that Jomashop does warranty for 2 years.  After, I can send to rolex for servicing if needed right?  In going to the AD, what extra customer experience do I really get for the extra money.   Then comparing the used/Jomashop options, if the watch has been serviced, it should be 'like new' right?  I'm leaning towards JomaShop personally, but wanted to see what your experiences have been.  I know many of you do go to the AD, and many use Joma.

Tell me what you think.

bananakid0

Concerning the going to the AD and paying full price option is not exactly correct - unless that particular model is very rare such as the steel daytona. 

You can easily go to an authorised dealer and get anywhere between 10-20% off. This depends mainly on the dealer, some don't do discounts; others go up to 20%. Also browse in online shops to find a price which you should try and get close to from a dealer. For reference a friend got a €15k daytona for 13.5k. A different friend bought a ciellini for 20% off

Edited by bananakid0

LunchMoney

My area doesn't have a close AD.  I'd have to drive +20 miles, which isn't far but courting an AD over multiple visits would be a pain.  I do get that the AD experience, if I could get the same discount as Jomashop would be my preferable option. 

FunnyStarSystem

Jomashop can take a couple weeks to source the watch, so don't expect it to necessarily come fast, even if they claim it's in stock. I've bought several pieces from them and though they are often the best price, their customer service is not a strong point. Thankfully I haven't had to find out, but according to many they will make you work for honoring whatever warranty you think you've gotten from them. Not saying not to purchase from them, but do some research, know what to expect.

simonbolivar

Check out TRF.  There are a few trusted dealers that are great to deal with.  You can get a brand new watch at 10-20% off list with no tax, and your name on the warranty card in many cases.

ShovelnTC

Obviously everyone wants to save money but as I've often said if you NEED to save money then perhaps a luxury watch is out of your price bracket.

Secondly a grey market watch may well be exactly the same as your AD but has it been a return/warrantee replacement/sitting in the window for yonks etc?

Thirdly having that original warrantee/invoice with your name on it is nice to see.

Good luck in your quest.

Diver Dave

If I could offer contrarian advice....

With your budget you can buy a classic vintage Rolex piece of some sort that will appreciate far faster than a new watch (which is worth $1000 less than you paid for it the minute you walk out of the door). Truly, go look and see some Gen vintage pieces. There are loads of good reputable online dealers for these as well, and it's a competitive market.  

Monkey_Business

Well, a man looking for a new Milgauss is in a way different segment of the market.

Could I recommend looking at the blue dial Milgauss? It has much more "life", and it looks extremely nice. I have the rep, but I've seen it in ad's. It is a million times prettier.

greg_r
32 minutes ago, Diver Dave said:

If I could offer contrarian advice....

With your budget you can buy a classic vintage Rolex piece of some sort that will appreciate far faster than a new watch (which is worth $1000 less than you paid for it the minute you walk out of the door). Truly, go look and see some Gen vintage pieces. There are loads of good reputable online dealers for these as well, and it's a competitive market.  

This is excellent advice.

However, if it MUST be a new Milgauss, then buying from an AD after some serious haggling would be the way to go., A 20% discount should be just about achievable. Alternatively, used is a sensible option too, provided the price is significantly lower (which it may not be).

NFleischer

I've bought a number of gens from online shops like Jomashop, Ashford without a problem. The AD warranty is a lot better however.

Plus many stores like Tourneau  offer extended warranties at not cost. For example, i bought the white Polar Explorer 2 there. It broke after 2 years  (Rolex cut-off),

I wasn't aware but Toureau had a 3rd. year extra for free! Fixed it for no charge, saved about $750.

Daffy

If you're looking for a bargain on gens, Chrono24 always seems to have a ton listed.  It's like a "watch only" Craigslist, but they do offer escrow services as well.  Some prices are high, some low, just like with any other site.