MAJ75

Speedy Pro "Barn Find"

MAJ75

I know we have a few Speedy Pro fans in the community, I came across this piece today & the story blew me away.

It has to be the most beautiful Speedy I have seen, true grail worthiness.

I love stories like this, discovering pieces that have been locked away for 40+ years to be rediscovered looking as good as when they left the factory.

Lots of car stories like this but not too many documenting watch finds..............hope some find this of interest:

http://sweepinghand.co.uk/vintage-watches-for-sale/omega/omega-speedmaster-1971-ultimate-barn-find/

Look at the patina on the markers.....wonderful stuff.....................

omega-speedmaster-15.jpg

nuvolablue

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
I have the same look on markers on my (1995 cal 1861). Hoping the hands will develop a similar patina on the hands one day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

splke

Brilliant I wish I could have a day looking through the original owners loft

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

NCRich

Very nice! Lovely watch

Moondustesp

Woooooowwwwwww!!!!

Thommo82

Just

Fucking

Awesome

Nikosaldente

Amazing!

trailboss99

What a find! I wonder what it went for?

nuvolablue

Here's a copycat pic I just took of mine e6ee7b096e3c2e08d8f9789327fdb5e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MAJ75
On 2 September 2017 at 15:49, trailboss99 said:

What a find! I wonder what it went for?

I wondered the same thing & found the answer last night. I was surprised that it was listed for £5995 which I think is a bit of a bargain TBH. I think when all said & done despite being NOS it is just a standard 1971 Speedy so not overly rare & this kept the price relatively affordable.....

trailboss99

Fair enough price I suppose, can't be many brand new '71 speedies about. What do they average nowadays?

MAJ75
13 minutes ago, trailboss99 said:

Fair enough price I suppose, can't be many brand new '71 speedies about. What do they average nowadays?

The Speedy 101 says around $5000 for a collectors quality 71... So this example carried about  a £2000 premium for its mintness....

trailboss99

Oke, so $5000, that's still affordable but heck, 10 years or so ago it would have been half that.  I need one of these in my life while I can afford one.

porschespeedster

Story sounds like a rep if u ask me. 

Speaking of reps, I hope our makers get good looks at those pics.

trailboss99
24 minutes ago, porschespeedster said:

I hope our makers get good looks at those pics.

Why?

MAJ75
On 07/09/2017 at 00:22, trailboss99 said:

Oke, so $5000, that's still affordable but heck, 10 years or so ago it would have been half that.  I need one of these in my life while I can afford one.

The price of Speedy's is rising extremely quickly even for the more modern versions, it is a horrible feeling thinking whether to jump in now before the ship sails or wondering whether things have hit the top & might drop a little.

From my time spent watching & researching there seems no obvious falttening anytime soon or signs of stabilisation................

edwinowl

Shit missed that.  Guys just down the road from me too. 

To be fair price is about right and he's not the cheapest dealer. My pals bought several lovely watches from him. 

Pre moon DON bezel etc and you're into double that. 

Great find though. 

Genius
1 hour ago, MAJ75 said:

The price of Speedy's is rising extremely quickly even for the more modern versions, it is a horrible feeling thinking whether to jump in now before the ship sails or wondering whether things have hit the top & might drop a little.

From my time spent watching & researching there seems no obvious falttening anytime soon or signs of stabilisation................

Definitely glad I got mine when I did around 18 months ago prices have gone a bit mental since,  just wish I'd plumped the extra few hundred quid for one with a bracelet as they have skyrocketed on the used market too 

deju
1 hour ago, Genius said:

Definitely glad I got mine when I did around 18 months ago prices have gone a bit mental since,  just wish I'd plumped the extra few hundred quid for one with a bracelet as they have skyrocketed on the used market too 

Always going to go up....

Men like watches. 

boys want to be astronauts when they grow up.

We're all fantasists haha 

trailboss99

It was the 70's Speedmaster ads in Nat Geo that sparked my interest in watches in the first place. It was the first watch that caught my eye and imagination. 

porschespeedster

@trailboss: I just really dig the mintiness and understated aging of that example.

Lots of times I think our reps are too yellow with the colo(u)r of the markers.

Same for some rep fans that ''vintageize'' their pieces. To each his own, but I prefer watches that are beaten up and then re-polished.

Do that 5-10 times or so, and a vintage rep will  look legit. Some of the ones I see on the boards remind me of these pairs of jeans they sell nowadays with 900 holes in them ''brand new.''

n5jefe
On 9/18/2017 at 12:16, MAJ75 said:

Even within the past two years I've noticed a big jump. Me thinks the Daytona market is behind the push.