Del

Shinola Runwell 47mm Chrono photos

Del

I saw this Shinola Runwell 47mm Chrono in a shop yesterday and I have to say that it looked good!

I know, I know, it's only a quartz, it's overpriced, it's made in the USA using Swiss Ronda bits that cost $20.....! :lol:

It's a bit different, and it DID look fucking good! :p

shinola-the-runwell-chrono-white-dial-ta

Left Coast Guy

I like the styling, but what do they want for those now....$600-$700? And its not a ecodrive or anything, just straight battery quartz....that's nuts!

GC

My old man always had a simple rule, "never pay more than $100 for a quartz watch"... 

admittedly, I have paid $137 for a quartz in the past from Reg, but the rule of thumb always applies. The old man's words echo in my head . 

Del
1 hour ago, Left Coast Guy said:

I like the styling, but what do they want for those now....$600-$700? And its not a ecodrive or anything, just straight battery quartz....that's nuts!

Think this one is 675 GBP, which I admit is rather steep. I have a 100 GBP voucher for the shop in question and would get 12% cash back through a work perks scheme so that would bring it down to 506 GBP - bit more tempting, but still...

56 minutes ago, GC said:

My old man always had a simple rule, "never pay more than $100 for a quartz watch"... 

admittedly, I have paid $137 for a quartz in the past from Reg, but the rule of thumb always applies. The old man's words echo in my head . 

I probably shouldn't mention my quartz TAG F1 Chrono then... :lol:

GC
17 minutes ago, Del said:

Think this one is 675 GBP, which I admit is rather steep. I have a 100 GBP voucher for the shop in question and would get 12% cash back through a work perks scheme so that would bring it down to 506 GBP - bit more tempting, but still...

I probably shouldn't mention my quartz TAG F1 Chrono then... :lol:

Having said that, he missed buying an oyster quartz Rolex that would have appreciated like crazy. I remember the guy asking $300 for it because he needed the money. My old man said, "sure it's a Rolex, but it's a battery watch..." 

he wasn't always right, but rule of thumb. 

FunnyStarSystem

Apparently they're attempting to go upscale as I happened upon a very fancy concept store filled with watches and leather goods and aspiring models acting as salespeople (outnumbered the few tourists in the shop). I didn't take any photos inside, but here is the big clock on the corner. This is in DUMBO, Brooklyn. It must be costing them a fortune!

20170824_143905.jpg

20170824_143849.jpg

Genius

I've actually been in brooklyn this afternoon never noticed that clock but was very drunk...  Blame it on the pitchers of brooklyn lager ;)

Anyhow that watch looks shit, methinks y'all don't know shit from shinola :p

Xpletiv

Dial is too flat, no detail.

And the DW is too sunken.

greg_r

Shinola is one of those brand names - like Parnis - that I simply couldn't bring myself to wear... :loadacrap:

rawbaws

500 pounds for that?  No way..

Diver Dave
1 hour ago, rawbaws said:

500 pounds for that?  No way..

Yeah, this comes down to the "are you fucking kidding me?" school of consumer goods. 

So: Are you fucking kidding me? 

Del

So, that'll be a no then! :rofl:

Del
7 minutes ago, Diver Dave said:

So: Are you fucking kidding me? 

Are you asking me?

Abe Fromen

Wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Over-priced and over-hyped.

Funny story... my local, high-end bicycle shop (which is a boutique shop for the likes of Pinarello, Bianchi, De Rosa, Factor and the likes)... so I see he carries Shinola, complete with a Shinola-branded cruiser bike. This is about a year ago... had heard of them but hadn't seen any in the flesh. I ask if any have mechanical movements and the shop owner says to me, "I have no idea what that question means." WTF dude you're selling these things in YOUR shop. Shouldn't you know what you're selling? After a quick explanation, he says, "i have no idea, I just think they look cool and they have a promo bike, so it's a good fit for the shop."

Gah! 

FWIW, I don't spend my money in his shop. 

Diver Dave
1 hour ago, Del said:

Are you asking me?

Addressed to the makers of, er... "Shinola"...

Which I am sure you know was a popular brand of shoe polish at one time, not to be confused with shit... ;-)

Del

I still like the look of the watch, although I'm not going to buy it since I do agree that it's a bit pricey for what it is.

The brand itself was completely unknown to me but clearly it has very little "street cred" in the land of watch aficionados... :lol:

Left Coast Guy

Well the background of the brand is that the founder of Fossil, Tom Kartsotis, thought he could build a new upscale Fossil if he branded it as "American Made" in a sort of jingoistic, nostalgic and nationalistic ad campaign calling back to the railroad era watches of the '30s - 40's. So he built it around the faded city of Detroit to help establish the backstory as American Made and launched in 2011, hired a bunch of locals to assemble and spent like $200M on marketing.

Only the FTC said the watches don't meet the standard of American Made, because they're really just American assembled, and even then its just the case, dial and hands that are added in the US.....so its kind of been exposed as a marketing sham. I'd say its akin to Hublot -- a pop-up brand built on marketing.  And the nationalist, American Made story has gotten quite a bit of celebrity/politician endorsement which has fast-tracked awareness. 

Diver Dave

Well the background of the brand is that the founder of Fossil, Tom Kartsotis, thought he could build a new upscale Fossil if he branded it as "American Made" in a sort of jingoistic, nostalgic and nationalistic ad campaign calling back to the railroad era watches of the '30s - 40's. So he built it around the faded city of Detroit to help establish the backstory as American Made and launched in 2011, hired a bunch of locals to assemble and spent like $200M on marketing.

Only the FTC said the watches don't meet the standard of American Made, because they're really just American assembled, and even then its just the case, dial and hands that are added in the US.....so its kind of been exposed as a marketing sham. I'd say its akin to Hublot -- a pop-up brand built on marketing.  And the nationalist, American Made story has gotten quite a bit of celebrity/politician endorsement which has fast-tracked awareness. 

Exactly. Selling $75 watches to urban hipster idiots for $750 each...

It's a self-imposed tax on stupidity. 

FunnyStarSystem

Actually, they're selling them to foreign tourists, nobody in Brooklyn would buy that crap, the hipsters (what few are left) go to flea markets. But most hipsters moved to more affordable Midwest cities many years ago.

Abe Fromen
2 hours ago, Diver Dave said:

Exactly. Selling $75 watches to urban hipster idiots for $750 each...

It's a self-imposed tax on stupidity. 

I love this quote! 

Del

Thanks for the background. They seem to be getting some traction in the UK now and have appeared in Ernest Jones and Beaverbrooks (and maybe more that I'm not aware of), both of which are big, well known high street jewellers/ADs...

Left Coast Guy

I think part of the issue, at least for me, is that they did a pretty aggressive ad campaign when they originally launched.  It was on all the gear and gadget sites, and really sold hard as an American Made brand.....and you have to remember this all was done during the very recent aftermath of the  Great Recession, so really playing on the sentiment to switch to American Made and re-build the economy;  It was just a disingenuous message at a low point for the country.......and when it was proven to be false, it left a pretty bad taste with folks. 

All that aside, they are pretty watches....

Diver Dave

All that aside, they are pretty watches....

Is there a rep? ;-)

Dave

2 hours ago, Abe Fromen said:

I love this quote! 

"A self imposed tax on stupidity" (or ignorance)

and

"Brought to you from the department of redundancy department"

Are two of my favorite phrases. 

Use them freely... ;-()

TheTinMan

I was in an outlet mall in the US recently and got my hands on most of their models. They're overpriced, but they are well built. The straps are particularly good quality. I wouldn't buy one at full price, but i hear they have really good sales every so often. I'd consider one at the 50% off that person mentioned. 

Genius
8 hours ago, TheTinMan said:

I was in an outlet mall in the US recently and got my hands on most of their models. They're overpriced, but they are well built. The straps are particularly good quality. I wouldn't buy one at full price, but i hear they have really good sales every so often. I'd consider one at the 50% off that person mentioned. 

The outlet malls here are crazy good value!  Was in a Tissot store today with a lot of stuff well over 50% off... Very nearly bought an automatic proper Swiss made diver for just over $300 I absolutely would have if I hadn't hammered the credit card already for presents for the Mrs and my sister (note to self... In future buy presents for me before presents for the womenfolk) point is the Tissot was a real watch with real quality and a real eta movement at shinola price