Del

Shinola Runwell 47mm Chrono photos

Del
4 hours ago, Genius said:

The outlet malls here are crazy good value!  Was in a Tissot store today with a lot of stuff well over 50% off... Very nearly bought an automatic proper Swiss made diver for just over $300 I absolutely would have if I hadn't hammered the credit card already for presents for the Mrs and my sister (note to self... In future buy presents for me before presents for the womenfolk) point is the Tissot was a real watch with real quality and a real eta movement at shinola price

You should visit Joseph Edwards on 5th Avenue opposite the NY Library at Briant Park - it's a great shop with lots of lower-cost gens like Seiko and Victorinox. That's where I bought my Victorinox INOX Diver last year and they were happy to discount without any pushing. ;)

FrancisWhitman
On 9/12/2017 at 09:28, Abe Fromen said:

Wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Over-priced and over-hyped.

Funny story... my local, high-end bicycle shop (which is a boutique shop for the likes of Pinarello, Bianchi, De Rosa, Factor and the likes)... so I see he carries Shinola, complete with a Shinola-branded cruiser bike. This is about a year ago... had heard of them but hadn't seen any in the flesh. I ask if any have mechanical movements and the shop owner says to me, "I have no idea what that question means." WTF dude you're selling these things in YOUR shop. Shouldn't you know what you're selling? After a quick explanation, he says, "i have no idea, I just think they look cool and they have a promo bike, so it's a good fit for the shop."

Gah! 

FWIW, I don't spend my money in his shop. 

Had a similar experience at the Shinola store in D.C. Asked one of the salespeople to confirm the case diameter of a watch, and even after conferring with his manager, nobody could seem to give me a straight answer. They look fantastic, I'll give them that — and I'm sure the quartz movements are quality, but all things considered, they just feel way over-priced for what you're getting.

Also a bit disheartening to see the extent to which the "Made In Detroit" thread was deceptively woven into the brand narrative. FTC ended up ruling that they can't use the slogan anymore.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201604/stacy-perman/shinola-watch-history-manufacturing-heritage-brand.html
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2016/06/17/shinola-detroit-ftc-america-marketing-change/86059790/