NCRich

Invicta and Glycine

NCRich

Are the same company.  Who knew?

Piloten

Well....

I did, posted a thread about it somewhere . . .

tonyh7

So when are Glycine going to bring out some Disney designs?  

FunnyStarSystem

I feel sick...

SuperbMonster
53 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Are the same company.  Who knew?

Induction training going well then?

FunnyStarSystem
8 minutes ago, SuperbMonster said:

Induction training going well then?

He's just received his stock options.

k3rm87

Waiting for these Combat Subs to drop further.... Anyone know where I can find the grey bezel one for a good price? Jomashop & Ebay seem to still be around $500usd 

Robin195959

Love Glycine not so much Invicta. Mainly cos the logo is ugly. 

love the way historically on this forum people look down their noses at Invicta then turn to admire their 'collection' which is full of Chinese  movements. 

Fascinates me. Discuss please I'm intrigued.

FunnyStarSystem
4 hours ago, Robin195959 said:

Love Glycine not so much Invicta. Mainly cos the logo is ugly. 

love the way historically on this forum people look down their noses at Invicta then turn to admire their 'collection' which is full of Chinese  movements. 

Fascinates me. Discuss please I'm intrigued.

Maybe you didn't have this in the UK or Europe, but in the States they did hours long infomercials that aired on, maybe QVC or something like that, in the early to mid 2000's, which were just so incredibly engrossing, it was the same format as used to sell those weird knife collections and samurai swords, everything said was completely over the top, and the bigger, uglier and tackier - the more sales. Shortly after the marketing campaign began, these things started showing up on the wrists of guys who also collected those hunting knives, they were invariably 50mm and up, and many of these dudes suddenly fancied themselves serious watch collectors, but only of Invicta. It was almost like a cult. I compared it then to people who collected Kinkade prints (feel free to go down that rabbit hole on Google, if you'd like). It just turned into a gonzo lifestyle product for a certain type of American, and it made the guy who bought Invicta very, very rich. But it also turned a whole lotta people who didn't have wheels on their house, and a wardrobe made up 70% of camouflage, off. I am, of course, engaging in a bit of hyperbole here to get my point across.

I'm not sure if the company does those infomercials anymore, or who their target customer is nowadays, but for people of a certain age, during that certain time, Invicta was kind of a dividing line of taste. An inside joke to some, a fun hobby to others. Whatever it was, Invicta created the polarization themselves, and laughed all the way to the bank. They weren't trying to sell watches to people who already had a collection, they were creating brand loyalists who had never owned anything before other than a Timex. I would assume there's still at least one Invicta-only forum around, it was quite a brilliant marketing cult.

GC
2 hours ago, Inkoumori said:

Maybe you didn't have this in the UK or Europe, but in the States they did hours long infomercials that aired on, maybe QVC or something like that, in the early to mid 2000's, which were just so incredibly engrossing, it was the same format as used to sell those weird knife collections and samurai swords, everything said was completely over the top, and the bigger, uglier and tackier - the more sales. Shortly after the marketing campaign began, these things started showing up on the wrists of guys who also collected those hunting knives, they were invariably 50mm and up, and many of these dudes suddenly fancied themselves serious watch collectors, but only of Invicta. It was almost like a cult. I compared it then to people who collected Kinkade prints (feel free to go down that rabbit hole on Google, if you'd like). It just turned into a gonzo lifestyle product for a certain type of American, and it made the guy who bought Invicta very, very rich. But it also turned a whole lotta people who didn't have wheels on their house, and a wardrobe made up 70% of camouflage, off. I am, of course, engaging in a bit of hyperbole here to get my point across.

I'm not sure if the company does those infomercials anymore, or who their target customer is nowadays, but for people of a certain age, during that certain time, Invicta was kind of a dividing line of taste. An inside joke to some, a fun hobby to others. Whatever it was, Invicta created the polarization themselves, and laughed all the way to the bank. They weren't trying to sell watches to people who already had a collection, they were creating brand loyalists who had never owned anything before other than a Timex. I would assume there's still at least one Invicta-only forum around, it was quite a brilliant marketing cult.

I am a recovering invictaholic 

in my defense... I have none. i even won a photo competition on their forum (can't remember the name off hand) but never received my prize which was supposed to be a soon to be released blah blah blah. 

Thank you for the walk down memory lane. 

Jim Skelton was the name of the host who did those infomercial sales events. The owner of Invicta at the time was Ely Lalo, if memory serves. 

Namaste