Markonymous

A common problem?

Markonymous

Hey everyone!

So I've been sticking with gens for a while now since my last rep broke in a very unexpected way(the bracelet broke while bike riding) and the watch was rendered useless. This was after less than 6 months. For now my gen collection consists of a Omega PO latest version and a Longines conquest heritage with the gold case a seiko cocktail time and an orient mako. Now to my issue.

What was clearly missing from my collection was a chronograph, so i decided to contact toro and got a beautiful IWC pilot Chrono 3777-09 from JF. Only issue seems to be that when i leave it of the wrist for a couple of hours it stops and even if i have it on the wrist if im not active it can stop. I have tried gently hand winding it to full capacity then it lasts 30-40 hours but simply wrist winding it gets me a powerreserve of maybe 5 hours. What can be the issue? Should i send it back or find a watchs smith? 

Toro has btw been very nice and offered to let me ship the watch back so no issues there. 

Jibuti

yes

black263
5 hours ago, Markonymous said:

Hey everyone!

So I've been sticking with gens for a while now since my last rep broke in a very unexpected way(the bracelet broke while bike riding) and the watch was rendered useless. This was after less than 6 months. For now my gen collection consists of a Omega PO latest version and a Longines conquest heritage with the gold case a seiko cocktail time and an orient mako. Now to my issue.

What was clearly missing from my collection was a chronograph, so i decided to contact toro and got a beautiful IWC pilot Chrono 3777-09 from JF. Only issue seems to be that when i leave it of the wrist for a couple of hours it stops and even if i have it on the wrist if im not active it can stop. I have tried gently hand winding it to full capacity then it lasts 30-40 hours but simply wrist winding it gets me a powerreserve of maybe 5 hours. What can be the issue? Should i send it back or find a watchs smith? 

Toro has btw been very nice and offered to let me ship the watch back so no issues there. 

If hand winding gives a power reserve of 30-40 hours, there is nothing wrong with the basic watch.  I'd have a watchsmith check over the auto-wind.  It could end up cheaper than postage to China.   If the autowind works ok, then your problem is lack of activity or not wearing it long enough to fully charge.  I'd normally recommend simply giving it a dozen turns each evening to compensate, but the advice seems to be to avoid hand-winding  a 7750.  Assuming the auto-wind does check out, this is one of the very few occasions when a watch winder could be the solution.

Left Coast Guy

Just my experience, but 7750's do seem to perform better when wound. I used to be super nervous about winding, because of the warnings about stripping the winding gear (its fairly highly geared in the 7750), but as long as you're gentle, you're fine.  So I wind a 7750 10-15 times before putting on and find I don't have any problems. 

Like black263 mentioned, get the autowind checked -- I feel like this is a fairly common problem with the 7750. Though iirc, I'm not so sure its an easy fix.  

Stopping on the wrist is pretty troubling though -- if I had a watch doing that I'd send it to get serviced. And if you're going to do that, I'd check into replacing the mainspring with a swiss mainspring just for added peace of mind.  On the bright side, at least its a stock 7750 mov't in that model and no decorations, so should be easy to service. 

King

Sounds like the autowind mechanism is gunked up and the watch could use a service.

Another thought.  Once I had a 7750 that would unwind itself -- spring pressure would cause the rotor to spin in reverse and unwind the watch.  Apparently it was missing a lever that kept that from happening.  Doesn't sound like your issue, but something else to check, I suppose.

GenTLe

If you wind it manually and put it (wound) on the wrist does it stop soon or it lasts as long as you leave it on a table?

Markonymous

It does not stop on the wrist when it has been manually wound, once wound it keeps great time and it does to some extent wind while on the wrist too.  

Alright so im gonna find a rep friendly watch smith here in the neighbourhood to service it and see what happens, hopefully its something easy to fix.

GenTLe

So ok, it is probably a problem with the reverse wheel that need to be properly cleaned. It happened twice to me.