morino

A Rolex (rep) as a graduation gift

morino

Hello everyone,

don't really know where to put this so I'll just write here.. The thing is, I graduated from college two days ago and my parents are now very keen on buying a watch for me (budget of 250€ = 300$ max). Of course, they are letting me choose the watch and there's really only one thing I want to buy - Rolex Submariner Date/No Date (date function doesn't really matter that much to me). 

Now, I want the watch to be as reliable as possible and equipped with a mechanism that can be serviced because I obviously want to keep it for all the years to come. There's a bloke here in Slovenia selling a Noob V7S with Swiss ETA 2836-2. Should I go for it or choose something with a better mechanism? What do you guys recommend? 

Cheers, Marko

ShovelnTC

Chances are that it won't really have a swiss movement but I personaly wouldn't buy a Rep for any milestone in life.

I have a Quartz Seikos and Pulsar and both were for particular reasons but becaue of those reasons they are more valuable to me than any of my reps.

I's a gift from you parents just buy a nice Seiko or similar and keep it forever.

ciidlag

Or maybe a steinhart ocean 1? Has a very good quality/price ratio and has the rolex look. If your parents are able to stretch the budget slightly more :) 

splke

steinhart is a fantastic choice swiss movement and a quality brand that you can keep forever

ShovelnTC

Yes I too recommend the Steinharts, check them out.

austinsom

I have an Ocean 1, great watch and a proper swiss movement.  If the budget is not flexible, look at a Seiko SKX007 with a super oyster bracelet.  Job done.

skx007k-oyster_1_2_1.jpg

:thumbsup:

Foxindebox

+1 on the Seiko

morino

Wow, didn't expect I'd get so many replies this quick :D thanks guys! Well, of course I paid attention to Steinhart for a second too but at the moment those watches are simply out of the given budget..  Plus, I'd really like to get a nice Rolex for once, the only thing I owned until now are a few regmariners but never anything serious, so I feel like this is a really good chance. 

I don't want to give up this quick, Seikos are great, I admit that, but they don't really appeal to me that much. So, can I ask for some advice on a good, solid running Submariner rep just one more time? :D

Cheers

rawbaws

So like.. who has the best sub... this thread is a bit camouflaged by background story 

ciidlag

Well the noob v7 submariner is out of your budget aswell from the TD's too. I think they are going for 340usd + shipping with asian movement. +150 if u want to try ur luck getting a eta 2836-2 or sw 200-1. 

Your best chance I guess would be stalking m2m in that case.

austinsom

There's an AR factory sub M2M at the moment:

Obviously, it's your choice, but if I was offered a watch as a gift, unless I had all the watches all I already wanted (unlikely :lol: ) I'd go for a gen.  I have some watches that were bought as gifts that I still have, even if they were low value quartz.  If those have died, I have replaced them with the same model as it's spiritual successor.  I can't see me doing that with any rep I own.

Whatever you choose to get, I'm sure searching and finding it will be half the fun!

Moondustesp

Don't get a rep as a milestone watch! Oh and I have the best sub! 

morino

Haha, I know this thread sounds a lot like ''who has the best sub'', but like it or not, a nice Submariner is something I want for a long time and this is ''my chance''. So, if I refer to my first post, where I stated that there's a bloke here in Slovenia selling a V7S with ETA 2836-2 mechanism (he's willing to sell it to me for 300€), is that a good deal? And, is 2836-2 a reliable mechanism?

ciidlag

Well hard to say, we have no pictures of the watch. And V7S? Someone correct me if am wrong but v7 is the latest model from noob factory. But ETA movements in general are good ones, if u happen to get one. 

I would stick with the Tds here or m2m section. Then atleast you will receive help if something goes sideways.

Mr_B

+1 for going Gen 

morino
12 minutes ago, ciidlag said:

Well hard to say, we have no pictures of the watch. And V7S? Someone correct me if am wrong but v7 is the latest model from noob factory. But ETA movements in general are good ones, if u happen to get one. 

I would stick with the Tds here or m2m section. Then atleast you will receive help if something goes sideways.

I asked the seller for some detailed pics. He lives approx. 130km from where I am, so I definitely want to see the thing before me and my parents pull the trigger and pay him a visit. He's sending me some pics today, I'll upload them here and ask for further help, regarding the watch. 

narikaa

Seriously I think you'll regret the decision 

When you are facing retirement you want to maybe pass it to your son upon his graduation

If a Submariner is what floats your boat, well thankfully its only a low/mid range price wrist bauble

Use the available funds as a 'dipper' for a brand spanking Gen, and drip the rest up, it'll only pan out as beer money payments

Del
33 minutes ago, morino said:

I asked the seller for some detailed pics. He lives approx. 130km from where I am, so I definitely want to see the thing before me and my parents pull the trigger and pay him a visit. He's sending me some pics today, I'll upload them here and ask for further help, regarding the watch. 

How did you find the seller? Is he a member here? I would be very careful about buying from some random guy - you could easily get ripped off if you don't know exactly what you're buying and what to look for, e.g. could you identify a Swiss movement if you saw one?

Abe Fromen

Whether this is a milestone or not, get what you want. I've purchased milestone watches only to sell them when they lost their lustre. I've even sold a watch bequeathed to me because I never wore it and I have a firm policy to move something if I'm not loving it. 

RepGuy

I'm more concerned with our matching avatars. I thought I posted this for a second :D

splke

buy what ever you want bud but be very careful buying a rep from an unknown source. 

he can send you all the pics he likes but you cannot guarantee that it will be the same watch  when it lands 

SteveA

Checkout Hamiltons,classy keeper and good bang for the buck

Foxindebox
38 minutes ago, RepGuy said:

I'm more concerned with our matching avatars. I thought I posted this for a second :D

I thought it was you too...

myaz
5 hours ago, morino said:

There's a bloke here in Slovenia selling a Noob V7S with Swiss ETA 2836-2. Should I go for it or choose something with a better mechanism?  

They rep the sub so much that even cheap subs look good nowadays. As far as the movement goes, I've had great luck with a bunch of asian 2836-2s. 

This to say that you'll do fine with a 2836-2, the main now question being, are you overpaying if it's not Swiss?

This watch won't be your last one and will be an incentive to upgrade, should you opt to, as you become successful in your chosen career(s).

Congrats on graduating.