Sign in to follow this  
RepGuy

Genuine Rolex Cyclop?

RepGuy

I have been browsing around, and the new fad I'm seeing is the "black hole" mod with the Rolex sub. I hate to say it, but after seeing some pictures, I like the look. This caused me to browse around to see if you could even buy a genuine Rolex cyclop, and what it's price would be if so. I found some on eBay,  but they are numbered (101, 102, 103, ect) and I'm unsure of three things:

1. How can I tell which is meant for the newer ceramic model the Noob v7 is a rep of

2. How to tell if it is indeed genuine. I would hate to pay $30-40 for a fake one I could get for $10 elsewhere 

3. What the best kind of adhesive would be for this application. I am still actively researching this, but advice from more knowledgeable members is always appreciated. 

Would it be more trouble than it's worth to try this myself, or should this be left to a watch smith or entirely scrapped as an idea? I believe Prof supplies these as well, but I haven't checked his pricing yet.

Examples of different numbered cyclop

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Cyclop-Crystal-102-/142080086113?hash=item2114a21061%3Ag%3AsGYAAOSw9NdXqgNH&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac7b35c8e-98c1-11e7-807b-74dbd180f675%7Cparentrq%3A7ceba05e15e0a86bd4620837ffe3882b%7Ciid%3A4

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Cyclop-Crystal-103-/142080096335?hash=item2114a2384f%3Ag%3AOuYAAOSwIgNXqgS0&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac7b35c8e-98c1-11e7-807b-74dbd180f675%7Cparentrq%3A7ceba05e15e0a86bd4620837ffe3882b%7Ciid%3A5

10:10 Watch Repair

You use UV adhesive. A very small dot. 

I have never heard that Rolex sells the cyclops separately, and I don't know why they would, so be skeptical if a seller claims genuine Rolex. 

The different numbers are for different crystals, mag. etc. I suppose there's some reasoning behind the number, but I always just look them up when in doubt. 

Rx4Time

You need to buy the whole crystal.  The AR is applied to the underside of the crystal and between the crystal and Cyclops.  A Submariner crystal will run about $350.  There are others who have tried to simulate this, but personally I'd only go gen if you are spending the money. 

TC v6 and noob v5 with gen crystals...

qjqD6JI.jpg

The lack of proper AR on a modern (6 digit) Rolex with date is an instant tell visible well beyond arm's length.

RepGuy

Thanks for the replies everyone. I suppose a good alternative would be to look into a Prof 2x AR crystal since the genuine ones seem to be in short supply and more expensive than I was hoping. I would hate to install a crystal without the laser crown etching, but it's such a small detail it at least isn't noticeable when on the wrist.