n18lld

What a fucking liberty!

n18lld

As some of you may know I laid out for a gen Ebel panda recently. I felt the rotor was noisy and the stem a bit wobbly so sent it off to the Ebel service centre for an assessment. Maybe spend a couple of hundred on a service. Well fuck me what do you make of the quote?

IMG_1855.png

Paparolf

Taking the piss mate, get one of the guys here to sort it.

austinsom

:O

That is crazy.  Try an independent watchmaker, see what they come up with.  Probably be £250 max.  Does it really need new hands.

Del

Just be glad it isn't a Rolex! :D

(It's a total joke mate. )

n18lld

Told them to ram it! (No thank you) 

Any guesses on what the cost will be to get it back?

Nikosaldente

:daffy:WTF?

rusty peters

You could get a brand new movement installed for that price!!!

ciidlag

Jeesus... let me guess 65quids to get it back?

Abe Fromen

Why is everyone flipping out? 

A noisy rotor can be fixed with a screw driver and some mobius oil (I've done it a few times). 

That said, 457 sterling for a chrono service is actually about right. A friend here in Canada is a watchmaker and his going rate for a chrono service is CA$750 plus parts and taxes. On my JLC MC Memvox, a full service is about CA$800 (but includes all parts and a new crystal, regardless of the condition of the original). 

Buy a luxury time piece, expect to pay. I will say an indie watchmaker should be cheaper, generally. The only reason I will take my Memo into JLC for service is because Richmont won't sell replacement parts and because the Memo movement is unique to JLC, you gotta pay to play. 

splke

Bet you need thick end of a ton to get the fucker back? Best give caffeine kid a call x 

Should a bought a tag :rofl:

Robin195959

And they wonder why reps are so prevalent. Greedy bastards

n18lld
1 hour ago, splke said:

Bet you need thick end of a ton to get the fucker back? Best give caffeine kid a call x 

Should a bought a tag :rofl:

Fuckin bet I do. And still intend to:D

Xpletiv

New watch?

No warranty?

You wanted it refurbed, too?

And new hands?

Obviously, the lube is not included.

Chiquita Fanjita
12 hours ago, Del said:

Just be glad it isn't a Rolex! :D

(It's a total joke mate. )

Rolex is actually cheaper by a few hundred quid mate. The crown and stem came away on my gen Tudor Sub, and was told by Watches of Switzerland that it would need to be sent away to Rolex service centre who would fix it, service it, refurbish it and replace any parts all for around £500.

LightGeek

That cost more than my speedy reduced and they replaced the movement, dial, hands, refurbed everything else...

Del
40 minutes ago, Chiquita Fanjita said:

Rolex is actually cheaper by a few hundred quid mate. The crown and stem came away on my gen Tudor Sub, and was told by Watches of Switzerland that it would need to be sent away to Rolex service centre who would fix it, service it, refurbish it and replace any parts all for around £500.

To be fair though, that's a non-chrono whereas the Ebel is a 7750. Point taken though - I have a perception that Rolex would've been more expensive but I've really nothing to base that on! :thumbsup2:

MetalMickey

That's a pretty hefty chunk of the watch's value... Makes TAGs £300 battery change look reasonable!

splke
5 minutes ago, metalmickey said:

That's a pretty hefty chunk of the watch's value... Makes TAGs £300 battery change look reasonable!

No IT Does NOT :daffy: £300 for a fucking battery change sweet baby jesus

MetalMickey
No IT Does NOT daffy.gif £300 for a fucking battery change sweet baby jesus

You're right. Could buy a new rep for that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here it is with its £30 independent battery change and water tightness sealing....

cfbc292387825d098f71c54c216bdbcf.jpg

black263

We have a man in a little van, sits in the pedestrian precinct.  Basically all he does is battery change and the occasional watch strap.  I took my rep Tag F1 in and he replaced the battery for £3.96.  Went to Timpsons, and they did a vacuum WR test for £1 in their charity box.  Job done.

Chiquita Fanjita
1 hour ago, Del said:

To be fair though, that's a non-chrono whereas the Ebel is a 7750. Point taken though - I have a perception that Rolex would've been more expensive but I've really nothing to base that on! :thumbsup2:

Yeah, good point.  Likely be a fortune if it was a Daytona.

deju

The price is fair for an overhaul, unfortunately you just wanted the rotor lubed and screws tightened. 

Offering servicing/repair in my industry I totally understand why they are going all out. Some people (and I'm in no means insinuating you) have a last man Free's all attitude to repairs. 

Any time we have accommodated someone's partial repair "I just need xyz fixed"  and not done a full service, their appreciation of saving money soon flys out the window when something totally unrelated to any work you've done goes wrong. 

Its not worth the hassle these days.  Considering the work, skill and time to service a watch movement, the prices seem fair to me. 

splke
46 minutes ago, metalmickey said:

thats more like it when i  got my f1 TAG give me a voucher for a free battery change now i know they charge £300 notes that makes it sweeter

trailboss99
1 hour ago, metalmickey said:

Makes TAGs £300 battery change look reasonable!

No, nothing makes TAG's 300 pound battery change look reasonable. The entire movement for that watch is under 60 pounds from ETA.