King

New (to me) JF FC Diver - Pics

King

So I just picked up an AP FC Diver (JF V5) off M2M over at RWI.   The watch originally came from Ryan at Intime (RWI TD), on "sale" for $418 (reduced from $478).  Figured I'd share some pics and my initial thoughts on the watch.

We're all aware of the general flaws of this rep -- numbers in the inner bezel are too small, markers are too large, AR could be better, bezel screws could be more consistently sunken, case could be polished more, etc.   But all in all, it's a very good rep.   Look-wise, it would be difficult to distinguish from the gen unless you place them side by side and knew what to look for.  On the wrist, you'd never spot the differences.  The feel is very similar, too (I've had the gen on my wrist at an AP AD).  Very comfortable, even for a large, relatively thick watch.  I'm not typically a fan of rubber straps, but this one is about as good as it gets.  Case is gorgeous, finish is well done -- tried to capture this in the pics, but difficult to do -- and the watch feels very solid overall.  JF did a great job on this one (even though they still have a hard time aligning the batons, grrrrrr! -- you'd think they'd be able to do that easily, particularly on a grid dial, but I guess not ...).  Surprisingly flashy for a black watch as well.

My biggest (and really, only) problem with the watch is the movement.  I just don't like the miyota at all.  Feels dinky, like a wind-up toy or the old A7750s you used to see in reps.  But it keeps good time and I know they're generally reliable.   I just prefer the ETA clones of yore.  Plus, this one has the noisy rotor issue.   Any attempt to wind or set the time is an easy tell.

Also should mention that the inner rotating bezel is a bit gritty and has some play in it, unlike the gen, which clicks over as smooth as silk.  But at a cost of approximately 1% of the gen, I guess I can't complain too much .

In sum, despite the minor flaws and issues with the movement and inner bezel, the JF FC diver is a solid, beautiful watch.  Definitely worth the price of admission.

Now for a few wristies:

VJPav8w.jpg

ufb3Kmv.jpg

ULlYvLe.jpg

9OtTGPV.jpg

rhOlKeH.jpg

ZaCB5fq.jpg

reppin

is it lightweight like the gen?

rudehack3r
So I just picked up an AP FC Diver (JF V5) off M2M over at RWI.   The watch originally came from Ryan at Intime (RWI TD), on "sale" for $418 (reduced from $478).  Figured I'd share some pics and my initial thoughts on the watch.
We're all aware of the general flaws of this rep -- numbers in the inner bezel are too small, markers are too large, AR could be better, bezel screws could be more consistently sunken, case could be polished more, etc.   But all in all, it's a very good rep.   Look-wise, it would be difficult to distinguish from the gen unless you place them side by side and knew what to look for.  On the wrist, you'd never spot the differences.  The feel is very similar, too (I've had the gen on my wrist at an AP AD).  Very comfortable, even for a large, relatively thick watch.  I'm not typically a fan of rubber straps, but this one is about as good as it gets.  Case is gorgeous, finish is well done -- tried to capture this in the pics, but difficult to do -- and the watch feels very solid overall.  JF did a great job on this one (even though they still have a hard time aligning the batons, grrrrrr! -- you'd think they'd be able to do that easily, particularly on a grid dial, but I guess not ...).  Surprisingly flashy for a black watch as well.
My biggest (and really, only) problem with the watch is the movement.  I just don't like the miyota at all.  Feels dinky, like a wind-up toy or the old A7750s you used to see in reps.  But it keeps good time and I know they're generally reliable.   I just prefer the ETA clones of yore.  Plus, this one has the noisy rotor issue.   Any attempt to wind or set the time is an easy tell.
Also should mention that the inner rotating bezel is a bit gritty and has some play in it, unlike the gen, which clicks over as smooth as silk.  But at a cost of approximately 1% of the gen, I guess I can't complain too much .
In sum, despite the minor flaws and issues with the movement and inner bezel, the JF FC diver is a solid, beautiful watch.  Definitely worth the price of admission.
Now for a few wristies:
VJPav8w.jpg&key=f6ec853ad61eb37f64765c5aa8386a9c77d20355cf8b506e8bbb6c3c8b58812e
ufb3Kmv.jpg&key=6de07744a87335998e7d7280f3669c1e64a68ea4d8071eef3ce2c83f1219c8ea
ULlYvLe.jpg&key=65a646c20eb6eebc2dd60867b107b8e5eed9bdfcfab33100c5a5ee6002f6cec2
9OtTGPV.jpg&key=733c12b0f42a5dfd127c11cb7c81c940424fd24b7664743459eb2c029dedd641
rhOlKeH.jpg&key=c09cb24fbc057e7a5e1b115be7bd112546d2c43251ca14cca1cba7859b450e67
ZaCB5fq.jpg&key=056d81e6b63d45a79ea2ab80a2eec24e6749060825b911d6c39182ad1ce5e58b

Ive got this same watch and the inner bezel rotation being gritty is my number one complaint. Not that I’m a diver or anything to be using it all the time, but it doesn’t feel at all solid when rotating. Wonder if a movement service would fix that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King

If you asked the horologist to clean and lube the inner bezel works as part of the service, it might improve the action.  I've never taken mine apart, and so I don't know what's causing the issue.  If it's just dirt/grime, then a cleaning could help.  But if it's ill-fitting/misaligned gears, then probably not.