DesertAdventures

When will the GS reps start to appear

DesertAdventures

I love my seikos, have a ton of them and they were my start in watches. Then I started buying more expensive gen watches, and finally I've decided that there are way too many that I want, and don't wear enough to bother spending on the real ones. 

So, as the grand seiko models continue to climb in price, when will the reps start showing up? There are quite a few models I'd love to have, all of them have simple movements. Is the issue in the quality of the finishing? Lack of interest? 

Thanks!

andyboy

Lack of interest

Dealers wouldn`t be able to sell enough of them .

DesertAdventures

That's too bad! There are some beautiful GS models. 

RepGuy
15 minutes ago, DesertAdventures said:

That's too bad! There are some beautiful GS models. 

They are great watches from what I've read, both finish and movement wise. The problem is that, for a majority of the market, Seiko is considered a budget watch, with many people not even knowing about the GS line. This would unfortunately lead to low sales of reps.

DesertAdventures

I have one GS. It's an excellent watch in every way.   Like I said, I'm just getting into the reps, but I see all kinds of bland and uninteresting watches available, but no GS. I'd have to think that with the incredible popularity of seiko these days, some of these would sell better. 

http://www.grand-seiko.com/professionaldivers/

sec3-image-main.png

Edited by DesertAdventures

deju

This watch is a true WIS watch, doubt we would ever see a rep unfortunately. 

RepGuy
9 minutes ago, DesertAdventures said:

I have one GS. It's an excellent watch in every way.   Like I said, I'm just getting into the reps, but I see all kinds of bland and uninteresting watches available, but no GS. I'd have to think that with the incredible popularity of seiko these days, some of these would sell better. 

sec3-image-main.png

I think that even if they made a rep of this, it would fall short in finish alone. From reading on these, they are almost entirely hand made, which can't be replicated well in the conditions many reps are made in. 

Griffo
3 hours ago, RepGuy said:

I think that even if they made a rep of this, it would fall short in finish alone. From reading on these, they are almost entirely hand made, which can't be replicated well in the conditions many reps are made in. 

At least you'll get a free pube though!

RepGuy
21 minutes ago, Griffo said:

At least you'll get a free pube though!

If you give me $20 and a few weeks, I'll send you a whole bag of pubes to put in your watches

Diver Dave
8 hours ago, RepGuy said:

They are great watches from what I've read, both finish and movement wise. The problem is that, for a majority of the market, Seiko is considered a budget watch, with many people not even knowing about the GS line. This would unfortunately lead to low sales of reps.

^^ This. 

I build up fairly large numbers of custom Seiko watches, but I still regard them as a "non-status" brand. In fact much of what I do is to sterilize them so that you don't know they are a Seiko to start with. So although I am a fa, I'm a fan with open eyes. I think Seiko is being a bit presumptuous thinking that there's a mass of people willing to have "Seiko" on their wrist rather than (Omega, Rolex, IWC, 'fill in the blank') for the same money. People spending that sort of money want a bit of prestige. Seiko doesn't have that by any means. It's a great cheap watch. but it's a cheap watch.  

Dave

narikaa

This basically

You wouldn't plough the price of a prestige '5 Letter' watch into a bloody TIMEX would you

Will they rep them in any seriousness?

Well it's always a maybe

& stranger things have happened

I mean who would have foreseen the proliferation on goddamned Michael Kors reps for example

I have a theory that it has a lot to do with whats on show in the Guangzhou airport duty free.

Leslie

>> At least you'll get a free pube though!

Someone please tell me what pube means? 

I could not find any meaning of it that is related to wrist watches.

Thanks in advance.

narikaa

narpm-atlanta-october-2015-23-638.jpg?cb

Thommo82
4 hours ago, Leslie said:

>> At least you'll get a free pube though!

Someone please tell me what pube means? 

I could not find any meaning of it that is related to wrist watches.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_8470.jpg

brang1

beautiful watches indeed,

but man thats a lot of money for a Seiko.... 

Nikosaldente
26 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

IMG_8470.jpg

:balls::rofl:

Khronos
On 18. 9. 2017 at 16:56, DesertAdventures said:

sec3-image-main.png

I wonder how it looks on your wrist. Any wrist shots?

narikaa
16 hours ago, Thommo82 said:

IMG_8470.jpg

Good Lord is that the fabled 'Shrivelled bollock' award

for attaining 'Super Gweilo' level at buying the most shite off the 'Gate

;)

Thommo82
1 hour ago, narikaa said:

Good Lord is that the fabled 'Shrivelled bollock' award

for attaining 'Super Gweilo' level at buying the most shite off the 'Gate

;)

It's actually my new Frank Muller.

Hour hand is the darkest pube, minutes hand is the lightest and the rest make up the amount of seconds at any given time. 

Top piece, close to gen, has nice weight and is actually really easy to read once you get the hang of it 

You should see if you can get some, they will be an easy sell 

narikaa

I understand how you could believe that

& I dare say it "suits you sir"

But I'll pass ;)

As you have discovered it's oh so easy to acquire shite

finding a ready audience of coprophagics to take it off your hands is likely to be the pitfall to your proposal :D

Thommo82
29 minutes ago, narikaa said:

f coprophagics 

Learning new words is such fun

JBJtw

Not enough people know about them, I used to work in a Grand Seiko AD and the most popular thing people used to say was "I want a cheap but good watch so I don't have to damage my expensive Omega Seamaster, I was thinking about that Grand Seiko Diver"

"Erm yeah it's probably twice the price of your Omega..."

MoveAlong

I am fortunate enough to own an SBGA003 Spring Drive, old wristie below. The level of fit and finish is amazing... IT IS SIMPLY PERFECT.... What would be the point of a rep? There is no way they could rep the finish. That, and nobody knows anything about them. That's apparent even in this thread with the "lot of money for a Seiko" sentiments.

32695323656_c4ce14c77e_o.jpg

spacecat

now i wouldn't mind any watch if the chinese manufacturers finished them like a GS. i walked into a seiko store the other day and i was blown away by their beauty

just so damn pricey

RepGuy
2 hours ago, spacecat said:

now i wouldn't mind any watch if the chinese manufacturers finished them like a GS. i walked into a seiko store the other day and i was blown away by their beauty

just so damn pricey

Problem is they wouldn't have anywhere close to the same finish as the gen. Even the super reps don't have the same finish as the gen when compared