RepGuy

Omega Seamaster and Rolex GMT II Two Tone Gens

RepGuy

I went to a larger mall in Orlando Florida and got to try on many of my dream gens, although didn't take many pictures. It was really eye opening to look at and feel the gen versions of watches I have owned as reps in the past. I still love reps, but there really is a "smack to the face" type of difference when I tried on the gens in terms of overall quality and feel, which I found a bit surprising considering the state of many of the super reps we all love. It goes to show that, even with a close to 1:1 case material construction and weight, reps are still lacking in some aspects. The two watches I remembered to actually photograph were the 2017 Seamaster Professional and a (used) two tone Rolex GMT Master II. The bezel coloring was so crisp on the Omega, that it stopped any plans to pick up the rep version due to the sloppy bezel coloring I never noticed before.

20170923_190745.jpg
20170923_200527.jpg
20170923_190748.jpg

jsmm

no replies.. to be honest the real deal..is THE REAL DEAL... reps will always be reps and no more to be honest, and lack in every way.. i love reps and have many.. like gen guy said.. ive compared a v7 top end to the actual.. AND ITS STILL MILESSSSS apart, and will always be

McGilli

This is something I think I need to do. I need to go to a jewellers and try on a gen version of a replica watch I have. I need to see this. I've been thinking about it more since a week ago someone posted a thread here about what gen you would buy for under $10,000 and my first thought was Rolex Explorer II. But then I was like - but wait - I have the rep - so would the gen even be any different - aside from water proof? Basically - would 'I' be able to tell the difference? Which would be all that matters....

Thanks for sharing.

RepGuy
13 minutes ago, McGilli said:

This is something I think I need to do. I need to go to a jewellers and try on a gen version of a replica watch I have. I need to see this. I've been thinking about it more since a week ago someone posted a thread here about what gen you would buy for under $10,000 and my first thought was Rolex Explorer II. But then I was like - but wait - I have the rep - so would the gen even be any different - aside from water proof? Basically - would 'I' be able to tell the difference? Which would be all that matters....

Thanks for sharing.

Everyone may have a different opinion on the feel of their favorite rep versus it's gen counterpart, but it was an extremely noticeable difference to me. To be honest, it's one of the main reasons I sold off my relatively new Omega Seamaster Chrono rep... it just didn't feel right after trying on the gen. Suddenly I noticed how loose my rep bracelet was, and how the case didn't have the same look to it, among a host of other things. Maybe it was just me, but others have said similar things in the past as well.

Moral of the story is to be careful trying on gens if you have the rep version... you may just ruin how you see your rep.

palaufreak

This is what I do. Before getting the rep, I go and try it at an AD. Most Panerai feel the same on AD then Super rep

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

McGilli
8 hours ago, RepGuy said:

Moral of the story is to be careful trying on gens if you have the rep version... you may just ruin how you see your rep.

You're right... Ok... trying on genuine watches is now on hold! ;)