Genius

So... Seikos are much better quality than reps................

Genius

Something that you hear around here a lot Seiko will be much less likely to break whatever...

Fair enough the Seiko auto movements are about the most robust in the business but that also compares to not just reps but to Rolex, Tag, Hublot, Patek, whoever really no major brand makes movements quite as indestructible.

But the rest of the watch???

Well this just happened to me

z1bdIv2.jpg

Failed spring bar, and this isn't some boggo Seiko 5 this is a prospex diver and one of the "flagship" limited editions and one I have had around 3 months and worn under 20 times!  I was lucky it happened in the car so it fell less than a foot onto my lap but if that had been on to the tarmac then case and crystal would have been fucked (although the movement would probably have still been fine) not trying to put people of Seiko they are great watches for the money just thought it worth a share to point out its is not just reps that have problems

splke

the Seiko bracelets are proper shite though ! always disappointed me Invictas on the other hand have really good quality bracelets :hide:

RussP

Even Rolls Royce's break down sometimes..............:animal:

Genius
20 minutes ago, splke said:

the Seiko bracelets are proper shite though ! always disappointed me Invictas on the other hand have really good quality bracelets :hide:

The bracelet is actually good on this which is definitely a surprise on a Seiko but the broken spring bar thing pissed me off because this wasn't cheap and how easily it could have fucked the watch!

Still and easy fix and all back together now

INYWdkI.jpg

Monkey_Business

Haha, great. We'll stick to reps then! :badger:

Del
1 hour ago, splke said:

^^^This! :lol:

edwinowl

To be fair It's just a springbar. If it was the bracelet I'd be worried. 

lipbos

Citizen > Seiko when it comes to bracelets. But a spring bar failure is still most likely China's fault, pretty sure they're all made there these days.

FL13

Put it on a proper NATO strap and ditch that CLUNKY MEtal Shit!

tonyh7

Agree about Seiko straps - the leather ones in particular are poor.  I'm a little bit surprised about the spring bar failure though- the bars that came with my baby tuna are like girders!

Genius
15 minutes ago, tonyh7 said:

Agree about Seiko straps - the leather ones in particular are poor.  I'm a little bit surprised about the spring bar failure though- the bars that came with my baby tuna are like girders!

That's the thing it's a damn chunky and solid feeling springbar but still just failed.  And actually the bracelet on this particular seiko is really nice hence me not swapping it out immediately. 

1 hour ago, edwinowl said:

To be fair It's just a springbar. If it was the bracelet I'd be worried. 

Problem is that it could easily have been the ruin of the whole watch if it had failed whilst I was outside not in the car 

FL13

So I'm out and about with my Alpina Alpiner 41mm Grey Dial, Rose gold Swiss Auto.... and I lose a springbar!

Here it is before the springbar Popped... It is so clean, shiny and beautiful.

18160762_248369418963371_736940354187558

AND AFTER........

18809388_225276017988920_755721595914918

Since it's on a NATO, the other spring bar holds it on my wrist.  I'm wearing it again today with NO scratches/dings/dents because I use NATO Straps.

:bestsub:

^^^^ WHERE IS MY BESTSUB 

Edited by FL13
Where's my Smiley!?

Genius
13 minutes ago, FL13 said:

So I'm out and about with my Alpina Alpiner 41mm Grey Dial, Rose gold Swiss Auto.... and I lose a springbar!

AND AFTER........

Since it's on a NATO, the other spring bar holds it on my wrist.  I'm wearing it again today with NO scratches/dings/dents because I use NATO Straps.

^^^^ WHERE IS MY BESTSUB 

Agreed natos certainly have their place I was on holiday recently and took my Seamaster on a nato for the extra security of the strap cos I knew I'd be a pissed up idiot 

Khronos

It's because you're wearing it on the wrong side of the wrist.

Anyway, I had a similar Seiko disappointment happen to me not long ago. I ordered a Tuna SBBN033 and I had to return it, because it had a faulty bezel ( it felt like there are pieces of metal grinding against stones inside when I was turning it, but only on certain parts - between 1 and 3 o'clock and 7 and 9 o'clock ). Well, I got another and guess what, the same thing, only on different part of the bezel. Returned that one too and asked for a refund, because they said they couldn't get me a better one.. It's a 1000$ watch and it felt like crap compared to my SKX007 ( bezel on this one is buttery smooth with a perfect resistance ).

Not Quite Dead

If only they did not look like a group of countries pretending to be friends

nuk

Well, you better stick to reps!

FL13
14 hours ago, Not Quite Dead said:

If only they did not look like a group of countries pretending to be friends

LOLOL.

Griffo
17 hours ago, FL13 said:

AND AFTER........

^^^^ WHERE IS MY BESTSUB 

I don't have anything to add to this thread regarding the initial topic, but damn....that watch looks stunning on that strap :drool: 

FL13
2 hours ago, Griffo said:

I don't have anything to add to this thread regarding the initial topic, but damn....that watch looks stunning on that strap :drool: 

It's a great Value in Swiss Autos. you can find them for $400ish on the used market. Look for Alpina Alpiner (Note the date at 6. and straight-crown.) This is the 41mm version and is only 10mm thick. The other versions are a bit wider.

The strap is from Crown&Buckle US Made Line of Leather Natos.... also it's a 20mm strap on the 21mm lugs of the Alpina. 

CHEERS!

Edited by FL13