Sign in to follow this  
k4jun

The seawater is a bitch!

k4jun

Had a two weeks holidays by the sea and took my 316 rep with me. Swam a lot, few times per day and this is what happened to the bezel assembly.

oRLLnER.jpg
DilHCZW.jpg
Pe8MjOC.jpg

Yes I took a proper care after the swimming - was cleaning the watch under the running water asap.
The ball at the 1 o'clock area has rusted away, the spring.. I don't know but it's just not there, had to be dissolved (?).
Can't tell you about the exact impact on balls&springs at 4 or 10 o'clock, because that balls also rusted and are stick totally. Wasn't able to move them anyhow. I guess also that springs are damaged - all three balls no longer pop-up above the case, they are on the same level as the case, lol.

Only the "cone" and spring at 7 o'clock seems to be still functioning. I was a little bit dirty but managed to clean it, also that spring is fine. Same story for the bezel.

The case, bracelet, and the springbars are fine, but looks like a salt water damaged most of the assembly.

As you can imagine I do have an urgent WTB for the balls&springs, if you have these damn things (any maker) I would appreciate a pm.

The whole story makes me think that makers do not use 316L for each and every element of the rep.

What do you reckon, have you had similar stories ?

Jibuti

very bad result, mate. did you swim in dead sea by any chance..?

k4jun

Nope mate, it was (just) the Adriatic sea.

Jibuti

where?

k4jun

Croatia

splke

Yep swimming pool alcudia skx009 no seals dead watch kissed better by rolie 

lukeas123456

That's a cracker. I shan't be swimming with mine on!

Genius

I'm guessing it's the spring that are shite ruined the balls which fucked the whole bezel assy

k4jun
On 1.10.2017 at 22:27, Genius said:

I'm guessing it's the spring that are shite ruined the balls which fucked the whole bezel assy

Yeah, pretty much like that.

My TD told me the main portions of the watch are in Solid SS 316L or 316F. The small parts usually are brass, iron, etc due to the varying needs, like the tactile strength of varying needs that is required.

Monkey_Business

Well, I mean.. 

What'd you expect? All the TD's recommends you not to swim with replicated watches. 

I don't even wash my hands without thinking about keeping the watch dry. (If I'm wearing a rep, that is)

amstaffs
22 minutes ago, 4pekatt said:

Well, I mean.. 

What'd you expect? All the TD's recommends you not to swim with replicated watches. 

I don't even wash my hands without thinking about keeping the watch dry. (If I'm wearing a rep, that is)

Exactly. 

A rep is not made to be waterproof at all.  If you haven't mod it by a watchsmith and make it waterproof, this is what you should except. Sure the seawater is more aggressive, but even normal water would lead to this sooner or later e.g. let the iron parts rust. 

k4jun

Lol, guess you shouldn't be swimming with rolex reps. I've been swimming a lot with CrPO and CrSMP - no problems whatsoever. Omega bezel construction is simpler so exposure was somehow lower.